Tough RAID Question Any Ideas?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

This HAS worked in the past on THIS computer, so I know it's possible. Asus
just replaced the board so the new one could have a different BIOS,etc.
Still, for the sharp ones out there, see if you can figure out a simple
solution:

Two SATA drives in Raid 1 have the OS. Works fine. RAID is the boot device
in BIOS. Now, plug in the IDE hard drive (lives in a removeable case) which
is configured as a Primary Slave, and the IDE drive tries to take over as
boot drive (which it can't---no OS) and RAID array no longer appears as a
boot device. The goal is to disable the IDE drive as a boot device while
getting the RAID array to re-appear, and not have this happen over and over
each time the computer is started with the IDE drive plugged in.

Thanks

Randy wrote:

> This HAS worked in the past on THIS computer, so I know it's possible. Asus
> just replaced the board so the new one could have a different BIOS,etc.
> Still, for the sharp ones out there, see if you can figure out a simple
> solution:
>
> Two SATA drives in Raid 1 have the OS. Works fine. RAID is the boot device
> in BIOS. Now, plug in the IDE hard drive (lives in a removeable case) which
> is configured as a Primary Slave, and the IDE drive tries to take over as
> boot drive (which it can't---no OS) and RAID array no longer appears as a
> boot device. The goal is to disable the IDE drive as a boot device while
> getting the RAID array to re-appear, and not have this happen over and over
> each time the computer is started with the IDE drive plugged in.
>
> Thanks

You should be able to set up the correct boot device in bios setup
When you have the second ide drive installed, under the Boot settings
in the bios, there will now be a Hard Disk Drives setting. From there
you should be able to select what is the 1st drive. The 1st drive
selected will be the boot disk. By default, the IDE drive is 1st.
Just make the Raid the first drive.

Wayne

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Problem is, when you plug the IDE portable drive in, the RAID array
disappears from the list of boot devices. There's no way to select either
IDE or RAID. Wonder if they changed something in the latest BIOS that's
doing this.

Randy wrote:
> Problem is, when you plug the IDE portable drive in, the RAID array
> disappears from the list of boot devices. There's no way to select either
> IDE or RAID. Wonder if they changed something in the latest BIOS that's
> doing this.

maybe I should ask, which mb? I have not tried it, I have the
p4p800e running a raid, but have a p4c800e non-raid, booting from
the sata drive with ide drive in. In the p4p800e, if I stick an
ide drive on the promise controller, it still boots from the sata
raid. Is using the promise controller for the ide an option? Which
mb again?

Wayne

kda

Seems that I recall an experience like that back when I was setting
up.

As I recall, the list of boot devices will only display three devices
and, if I understand you correctly, your "new" IDE device bumps the
list down so your RAID no longer shows. If I have that correct, then
what I did was "disable" or remove (as boot devices) some of the
devices on that part of the list so they were no longer listed. Then
the RAID was moved back onto the list.

How did I get useless / unwanted items off that boot list? ... I
either right clicked on the one I wanted to disable / remove or
selected it and got a menu that way. In any even, this might be
enough to get you a solution. If not and if you think I could help
more if I went into my BIOS and tried to get more specific, then let
me know.

kda

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:41:28 -0500, "Randy" <mxrandynospam@aol.com>
wrote:

>This HAS worked in the past on THIS computer, so I know it's possible. Asus
>just replaced the board so the new one could have a different BIOS,etc.
>Still, for the sharp ones out there, see if you can figure out a simple
>solution:
>
>Two SATA drives in Raid 1 have the OS. Works fine. RAID is the boot device
>in BIOS. Now, plug in the IDE hard drive (lives in a removeable case) which
>is configured as a Primary Slave, and the IDE drive tries to take over as
>boot drive (which it can't---no OS) and RAID array no longer appears as a
>boot device. The goal is to disable the IDE drive as a boot device while
>getting the RAID array to re-appear, and not have this happen over and over
>each time the computer is started with the IDE drive plugged in.
>
>Thanks

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Oh, the MB is a P4C800E-Deluxe. Didn't realize you could run IDE drives on
the Promise controller. Thought that was RAID SATA only. Still this thing
worked fine before the MB was swapped out which leads me to believe
something is different in BIOS or its settings.