Help - Can't turn off mouse "Snap to"

I find the mouse snap to feature really annoying. I've
tried to turn it of by unchecking the box in control panel
and by setting the registry Current user, control panel
mouse, snap to value to 0 and rebooting. Neither attempt
worked. What next?

Thanks in advance,

Phil
10 answers Last reply
More about help turn mouse snap

    Did the setting in fact change? Sometimes the user setting are not saved .

    Phil Banks wrote:

    > I find the mouse snap to feature really annoying. I've
    > tried to turn it of by unchecking the box in control panel
    > and by setting the registry Current user, control panel
    > mouse, snap to value to 0 and rebooting. Neither attempt
    > worked. What next?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Phil

    Yes, when I check the registry, the setting is 0
    (disabled) but the feature persists.

    If you have the Intellipoint drivers, try removing and reinstalling mouse?

    Phil Banks wrote:

    > Yes, when I check the registry, the setting is 0
    > (disabled) but the feature persists.

    Nope, that didn't work either. I don't think this is
    worth the frustration, I'll just wait until I re-install
    Windows XP. Surely that will fix it.

    Thanks.

    Phil

    Two things on that. First, some graphics card drivers allow for the
    snap-to function and work outside of the Mouse Settings in the Control
    Panel. Check with Hydravision or nView for these options if you have
    either. Others may also have this feature.

    Second, if you plan on reinstalling Windows any time soon, I highly
    suggest waiting a few days as Service Pack 2 will be released very soon.
    This is almost like Windows XP Second Edition they have made so many
    changes. You can slipstream SP2 and then do a clean install that will
    be perfect.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Phil Banks wrote:
    > Nope, that didn't work either. I don't think this is
    > worth the frustration, I'll just wait until I re-install
    > Windows XP. Surely that will fix it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Phil

    I hadn't run across those yet, good catch!

    Nathan McNulty wrote:

    > Two things on that. First, some graphics card drivers allow for the
    > snap-to function and work outside of the Mouse Settings in the Control
    > Panel. Check with Hydravision or nView for these options if you have
    > either. Others may also have this feature.
    >
    > Second, if you plan on reinstalling Windows any time soon, I highly
    > suggest waiting a few days as Service Pack 2 will be released very soon.
    > This is almost like Windows XP Second Edition they have made so many
    > changes. You can slipstream SP2 and then do a clean install that will
    > be perfect.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Phil Banks wrote:
    >
    >> Nope, that didn't work either. I don't think this is worth the
    >> frustration, I'll just wait until I re-install Windows XP. Surely
    >> that will fix it.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Phil

    Since I also have a problem with Internet Explorer that
    was not fixed even by trying to repair Windows XP, the
    only thing left to try is a Windows XP reinstall. But,I
    have to find time to save all of my files to cd's first
    (what a PITA). So, I can wait until SP2 is released. What
    does "Slipstream" mean?

    Phil

    HOW TO: Integrate a Service Pack into a Windows 2000 Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271791&Product=win2000

    Phil Banks wrote:

    > Since I also have a problem with Internet Explorer that
    > was not fixed even by trying to repair Windows XP, the
    > only thing left to try is a Windows XP reinstall. But,I
    > have to find time to save all of my files to cd's first
    > (what a PITA). So, I can wait until SP2 is released. What
    > does "Slipstream" mean?
    >
    > Phil

    Bob and Nathan,

    Thanks for your help!
    Phil
    us;271791&Product=win2000

    >Phil Banks wrote:
    >
    >> Since I also have a problem with Internet Explorer that
    >> was not fixed even by trying to repair Windows XP, the
    >> only thing left to try is a Windows XP reinstall. But,I
    >> have to find time to save all of my files to cd's first
    >> (what a PITA). So, I can wait until SP2 is released.
    What
    >> does "Slipstream" mean?
    >>
    >> Phil

    Not a problem. Glad to help. And do note that the link Bob gave you
    will work for XP even though it says 2000 in the link ;)

    I also highly recommend try this method as it is a little more user
    friendly:

    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    ----
    Nathan McNulty