  • Mice
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 4, 2004 10:50:31 AM

I find the mouse snap to feature really annoying. I've
tried to turn it of by unchecking the box in control panel
and by setting the registry Current user, control panel
mouse, snap to value to 0 and rebooting. Neither attempt
worked. What next?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

More about : turn mouse snap

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 2:27:00 PM

Did the setting in fact change? Sometimes the user setting are not saved .

Phil Banks wrote:

> I find the mouse snap to feature really annoying. I've
> tried to turn it of by unchecking the box in control panel
> and by setting the registry Current user, control panel
> mouse, snap to value to 0 and rebooting. Neither attempt
> worked. What next?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Phil

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 5:28:20 PM

Yes, when I check the registry, the setting is 0
(disabled) but the feature persists.

August 4, 2004 7:53:44 PM

If you have the Intellipoint drivers, try removing and reinstalling mouse?

Phil Banks wrote:

> Yes, when I check the registry, the setting is 0
> (disabled) but the feature persists.

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 10:42:45 PM

Nope, that didn't work either. I don't think this is
worth the frustration, I'll just wait until I re-install
Windows XP. Surely that will fix it.

Thanks.

Phil

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:59:46 AM

Two things on that. First, some graphics card drivers allow for the
snap-to function and work outside of the Mouse Settings in the Control
Panel. Check with Hydravision or nView for these options if you have
either. Others may also have this feature.

Second, if you plan on reinstalling Windows any time soon, I highly
suggest waiting a few days as Service Pack 2 will be released very soon.
This is almost like Windows XP Second Edition they have made so many
changes. You can slipstream SP2 and then do a clean install that will
be perfect.

----
Nathan McNulty

Phil Banks wrote:
> Nope, that didn't work either. I don't think this is
> worth the frustration, I'll just wait until I re-install
> Windows XP. Surely that will fix it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Phil

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:01:39 PM

I hadn't run across those yet, good catch!

Nathan McNulty wrote:

> Two things on that. First, some graphics card drivers allow for the
> snap-to function and work outside of the Mouse Settings in the Control
> Panel. Check with Hydravision or nView for these options if you have
> either. Others may also have this feature.
>
> Second, if you plan on reinstalling Windows any time soon, I highly
> suggest waiting a few days as Service Pack 2 will be released very soon.
> This is almost like Windows XP Second Edition they have made so many
> changes. You can slipstream SP2 and then do a clean install that will
> be perfect.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Phil Banks wrote:
>
>> Nope, that didn't work either. I don't think this is worth the
>> frustration, I'll just wait until I re-install Windows XP. Surely
>> that will fix it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Phil

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:01:40 PM

Since I also have a problem with Internet Explorer that
was not fixed even by trying to repair Windows XP, the
only thing left to try is a Windows XP reinstall. But,I
have to find time to save all of my files to cd's first
(what a PITA). So, I can wait until SP2 is released. What
does "Slipstream" mean?

Phil

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:45:14 PM

HOW TO: Integrate a Service Pack into a Windows 2000 Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271791&Product=win2000

Phil Banks wrote:

> Since I also have a problem with Internet Explorer that
> was not fixed even by trying to repair Windows XP, the
> only thing left to try is a Windows XP reinstall. But,I
> have to find time to save all of my files to cd's first
> (what a PITA). So, I can wait until SP2 is released. What
> does "Slipstream" mean?
>
> Phil

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:45:15 PM

Bob and Nathan,

Thanks for your help!
Phil
us;271791&Product=win2000

>Phil Banks wrote:
>
>> Since I also have a problem with Internet Explorer that
>> was not fixed even by trying to repair Windows XP, the
>> only thing left to try is a Windows XP reinstall. But,I
>> have to find time to save all of my files to cd's first
>> (what a PITA). So, I can wait until SP2 is released.
What
>> does "Slipstream" mean?
>>
>> Phil

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:03:27 PM

Not a problem. Glad to help. And do note that the link Bob gave you
will work for XP even though it says 2000 in the link ;)

I also highly recommend try this method as it is a little more user
friendly:

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

----
Nathan McNulty