Strange HP IIP+ behavior on graphics. Any help?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
May 16, 2004 8:58:01 PM

Can anybody help me with this problem? I sometimes need to print
simple B&W graphics and Adobe documents using my HP IIP+ printer.
This has posed no problem over the years until recently, when I set
the size to Legal to print a long B&W print, which worked fine also.
Then I set the size back to Letter, and never again has it printed
graphics correctly.
All regular text and word processing programs still print OK. But
from that time on, every Adobe or graphics document prints in the
following wrong way: only the top of the document appears on one page,
abruptly ending and blank from there down, and the bottom of the
document appears on the bottom of the next. page which will be blank
in its upper portion. If you superimpose the two pages, the top and
bottom of the image line up perfectly. And here's the strangest part:
each time I print, the breakpoint is not at the same place on the
image, but is different.
I have tried resetting the printer to its defaults without
improvement. This must be pretty obscure. Does anyone have knowledge
about this? Thank you! RD2
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 18, 2004 1:04:28 PM

In message <40a79d97.14977427@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
>Can anybody help me with this problem? I sometimes need to print
>simple B&W graphics and Adobe documents using my HP IIP+ printer.
>This has posed no problem over the years until recently, when I set
>the size to Legal to print a long B&W print, which worked fine also.
>Then I set the size back to Letter, and never again has it printed
>graphics correctly.
>All regular text and word processing programs still print OK. But
>from that time on, every Adobe or graphics document prints in the
>following wrong way: only the top of the document appears on one page,
>abruptly ending and blank from there down, and the bottom of the
>document appears on the bottom of the next. page which will be blank
>in its upper portion. If you superimpose the two pages, the top and
>bottom of the image line up perfectly. And here's the strangest part:
>each time I print, the breakpoint is not at the same place on the
>image, but is different.
>I have tried resetting the printer to its defaults without
>improvement. This must be pretty obscure. Does anyone have knowledge
>about this? Thank you! RD2

Your printer is running out of memory, IIRC the IIP only came with .5
meg memory so a graphic will often be more than that so it takes as much
info in as it can, prints that then fills up the memory again.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom

Mr. Lee,

That sounded like a good suggestion, so to test it I made a graphic
that is only one vertical line - pretty small size - and it still did
the same problem.

Plus, the printer has had no problem all these years until now, so can
you you think of another possibility here?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. RD2

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:04:28 +0100, Timothy Lee <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>In message <40a79d97.14977427@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
>>Can anybody help me with this problem? I sometimes need to print
>>simple B&W graphics and Adobe documents using my HP IIP+ printer.
>>This has posed no problem over the years until recently, when I set
>>the size to Legal to print a long B&W print, which worked fine also.
>>Then I set the size back to Letter, and never again has it printed
>>graphics correctly.
>>All regular text and word processing programs still print OK. But
>>from that time on, every Adobe or graphics document prints in the
>>following wrong way: only the top of the document appears on one page,
>>abruptly ending and blank from there down, and the bottom of the
>>document appears on the bottom of the next. page which will be blank
>>in its upper portion. If you superimpose the two pages, the top and
>>bottom of the image line up perfectly. And here's the strangest part:
>>each time I print, the breakpoint is not at the same place on the
>>image, but is different.
>>I have tried resetting the printer to its defaults without
>>improvement. This must be pretty obscure. Does anyone have knowledge
>>about this? Thank you! RD2
>
>Your printer is running out of memory, IIRC the IIP only came with .5
>meg memory so a graphic will often be more than that so it takes as much
>info in as it can, prints that then fills up the memory again.
>
>--
>Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
>tlatwightpropertydotcom
a b α HP
May 18, 2004 7:42:27 PM

In message <40a9f6f2.1020783@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
>Mr. Lee,
>
>That sounded like a good suggestion, so to test it I made a graphic
>that is only one vertical line - pretty small size - and it still did
>the same problem.
>
>Plus, the printer has had no problem all these years until now, so can
>you you think of another possibility here?
>
>Thank you for taking the time to reply. RD2

If its not the memory I don't know what to suggest, have you tried
fiddling with advanced settings for memory handling for graphics in the
Windows control panel printer settings?

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom
May 21, 2004 7:28:27 PM

I've just spent about a week chasing a fault in my laserjet IIIP which I
think has similar
mechanics. My problem was an extra page being inserted between
multiple-page prints from
the optional sheet feeder. But it was ok from the front sheet feeder. The
cause could well
apply to your laserjet IIp.

There are two solenoids (look like relays without contact sets) in the sheet
feeder and one
next to the fuser inside the opening front on the right hand side. They
control clutches.
There is a felt pad under the armature stop of each solenoid. After many
years these
disintegrate and leave just the adhesive backing, which causes the solenoid
to stick and
mucks up the paper feed timing.

Remove the armatures, clean off the sticky stuff and replace with self
adhesive felt or
whatever else you can find. It fixed mine.

I might add I changed almost every opto sensor, roller and removeable part
(I had a non working
spare printer) before I found a clue on the internet. I was very pleased to
get the hint, I
had almost given up. It was an obvious thing I overlooked.

Even if it's not the solution to your current problem, it probably will be
one eventually. I'd be interested to
hear if it fixes your problem.

Good luck
Barry

"Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In message <40a9f6f2.1020783@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
> >Mr. Lee,
> >
> >That sounded like a good suggestion, so to test it I made a graphic
> >that is only one vertical line - pretty small size - and it still did
> >the same problem.
> >
> >Plus, the printer has had no problem all these years until now, so can
> >you you think of another possibility here?
> >
> >Thank you for taking the time to reply. RD2
>
> If its not the memory I don't know what to suggest, have you tried
> fiddling with advanced settings for memory handling for graphics in the
> Windows control panel printer settings?
>
> --
> Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
> tlatwightpropertydotcom
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 23, 2004 6:06:24 AM

Baz,

Even though I wasnt convinced that my problem was the same as yours
(because text pages print normally) I tried your suggestion.
Unfortunately, my problem persists. Any other thoughts?

RD2

On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:28:27 +1000, "Baz" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I've just spent about a week chasing a fault in my laserjet IIIP which I
>think has similar
>mechanics. My problem was an extra page being inserted between
>multiple-page prints from
>the optional sheet feeder. But it was ok from the front sheet feeder. The
>cause could well
>apply to your laserjet IIp.
>
>There are two solenoids (look like relays without contact sets) in the sheet
>feeder and one
>next to the fuser inside the opening front on the right hand side. They
>control clutches.
>There is a felt pad under the armature stop of each solenoid. After many
>years these
>disintegrate and leave just the adhesive backing, which causes the solenoid
>to stick and
>mucks up the paper feed timing.
>
>Remove the armatures, clean off the sticky stuff and replace with self
>adhesive felt or
>whatever else you can find. It fixed mine.
>
>I might add I changed almost every opto sensor, roller and removeable part
>(I had a non working
>spare printer) before I found a clue on the internet. I was very pleased to
>get the hint, I
>had almost given up. It was an obvious thing I overlooked.
>
>Even if it's not the solution to your current problem, it probably will be
>one eventually. I'd be interested to
>hear if it fixes your problem.
>
>Good luck
>Barry
>

>"Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> In message <40a9f6f2.1020783@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
>> >Mr. Lee,
>> >
>> >That sounded like a good suggestion, so to test it I made a graphic
>> >that is only one vertical line - pretty small size - and it still did
>> >the same problem.
>> >
>> >Plus, the printer has had no problem all these years until now, so can
>> >you you think of another possibility here?
>> >
>> >Thank you for taking the time to reply. RD2
>>
>> If its not the memory I don't know what to suggest, have you tried
>> fiddling with advanced settings for memory handling for graphics in the
>> Windows control panel printer settings?
>>
>> --
>> Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
>> tlatwightpropertydotcom

May 25, 2004 9:42:39 PM

Try going into your printer driver setting and make sure
paper size is correct. possible

"RD2" <void@en.com> wrote in message news:40b0071d.518888@news.nls.net...
> Baz,
>
> Even though I wasnt convinced that my problem was the same as yours
> (because text pages print normally) I tried your suggestion.
> Unfortunately, my problem persists. Any other thoughts?
>
> RD2
>

> On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:28:27 +1000, "Baz" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I've just spent about a week chasing a fault in my laserjet IIIP which I
> >think has similar
> >mechanics. My problem was an extra page being inserted between
> >multiple-page prints from
> >the optional sheet feeder. But it was ok from the front sheet feeder.
The
> >cause could well
> >apply to your laserjet IIp.
> >
> >There are two solenoids (look like relays without contact sets) in the
sheet
> >feeder and one
> >next to the fuser inside the opening front on the right hand side. They
> >control clutches.
> >There is a felt pad under the armature stop of each solenoid. After many
> >years these
> >disintegrate and leave just the adhesive backing, which causes the
solenoid
> >to stick and
> >mucks up the paper feed timing.
> >
> >Remove the armatures, clean off the sticky stuff and replace with self
> >adhesive felt or
> >whatever else you can find. It fixed mine.
> >
> >I might add I changed almost every opto sensor, roller and removeable
part
> >(I had a non working
> >spare printer) before I found a clue on the internet. I was very pleased
> >get the hint, I
> >had almost given up. It was an obvious thing I overlooked.
> >
> >Even if it's not the solution to your current problem, it probably will
be
> >one eventually. I'd be interested to
> >hear if it fixes your problem.
> >
> >Good luck
> >Barry
> >

> >"Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >> In message <40a9f6f2.1020783@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes

> >> If its not the memory I don't know what to suggest, have you tried
> >> fiddling with advanced settings for memory handling for graphics in the
> >> Windows control panel printer settings?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
> >> tlatwightpropertydotcom

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 28, 2004 8:11:36 AM

Yo Yo,

Yes, the paper size is set correctly. Any idea why the problem does
not occur when printing text, only graphics or Adobe reader files?

Thanks for thinking about it and for making a suggestion!

RD2

On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:42:39 -0400, "YoYo" <YoYo@none.of
your.business.com> wrote:

>Try going into your printer driver setting and make sure
>paper size is correct. possible
>

>"RD2" <void@en.com> wrote in message news:40b0071d.518888@news.nls.net...
>> Baz,
>>
>> Even though I wasnt convinced that my problem was the same as yours
>> (because text pages print normally) I tried your suggestion.
>> Unfortunately, my problem persists. Any other thoughts?
>>
>> RD2
>>

>> On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:28:27 +1000, "Baz" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I've just spent about a week chasing a fault in my laserjet IIIP which I
>> >think has similar
>> >mechanics. My problem was an extra page being inserted between
>> >multiple-page prints from
>> >the optional sheet feeder. But it was ok from the front sheet feeder.
>The
>> >cause could well
>> >apply to your laserjet IIp.
>> >
>> >There are two solenoids (look like relays without contact sets) in the
>sheet
>> >feeder and one
>> >next to the fuser inside the opening front on the right hand side. They
>> >control clutches.
>> >There is a felt pad under the armature stop of each solenoid. After many
>> >years these
>> >disintegrate and leave just the adhesive backing, which causes the
>solenoid
>> >to stick and
>> >mucks up the paper feed timing.
>> >
>> >Remove the armatures, clean off the sticky stuff and replace with self
>> >adhesive felt or
>> >whatever else you can find. It fixed mine.
>> >
>> >I might add I changed almost every opto sensor, roller and removeable
>part
>> >(I had a non working
>> >spare printer) before I found a clue on the internet. I was very pleased
>> >get the hint, I
>> >had almost given up. It was an obvious thing I overlooked.
>> >
>> >Even if it's not the solution to your current problem, it probably will
>be
>> >one eventually. I'd be interested to
>> >hear if it fixes your problem.
>> >
>> >Good luck
>> >Barry
>> >

>> >"Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

May 31, 2004 1:28:39 AM

I guess your first logical step is to try the printer on another computer
(and just to be certain another printer on your computer). That way at
least you'll know if you're chasing a printer fault or computer (software)
fault. Although on the face of it, it looks like a software problem as it
occurred after you changed your settings.

Sorry about the unnecessary hardware suggestion ealier, I should have read
your message more closely (that is it printed ok with text only). But as I
said you'll probably need to do it sooner or later anyway.

By the way, when you go to printer test (off line, Alt/Test) and it prints
the two test pages, do they come out ok? If not that would immediately
point to a printer problem. (This may have already been suggested but the

Barry

"RD2" <void@en.com> wrote in message news:40b6bbf4.1052410@news.nls.net...
> Yo Yo,
>
> Yes, the paper size is set correctly. Any idea why the problem does
> not occur when printing text, only graphics or Adobe reader files?
>
> Thanks for thinking about it and for making a suggestion!
>
> RD2
>
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:42:39 -0400, "YoYo" <YoYo@none.of
> your.business.com> wrote:
>
> >Try going into your printer driver setting and make sure
> >paper size is correct. possible
> >

> >"RD2" <void@en.com> wrote in message news:40b0071d.518888@news.nls.net...
> >> Baz,
> >>
> >> Even though I wasnt convinced that my problem was the same as yours
> >> (because text pages print normally) I tried your suggestion.
> >> Unfortunately, my problem persists. Any other thoughts?
> >>
> >> RD2

> >The

> >sheet
They
> >solenoid

> >part

> >be

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 3, 2004 6:53:34 AM

memory/ printer memory

RD2 wrote:
> Can anybody help me with this problem? I sometimes need to print
> simple B&W graphics and Adobe documents using my HP IIP+ printer.
> This has posed no problem over the years until recently, when I set
> the size to Legal to print a long B&W print, which worked fine also.
> Then I set the size back to Letter, and never again has it printed
> graphics correctly.
> All regular text and word processing programs still print OK. But
> from that time on, every Adobe or graphics document prints in the
> following wrong way: only the top of the document appears on one page,
> abruptly ending and blank from there down, and the bottom of the
> document appears on the bottom of the next. page which will be blank
> in its upper portion. If you superimpose the two pages, the top and
> bottom of the image line up perfectly. And here's the strangest part:
> each time I print, the breakpoint is not at the same place on the
> image, but is different.
> I have tried resetting the printer to its defaults without
> improvement. This must be pretty obscure. Does anyone have knowledge
> about this? Thank you! RD2

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 4, 2004 9:11:37 PM

fred smith wrote:

> memory/ printer memory
>
> RD2 wrote:
>
>> Can anybody help me with this problem? I sometimes need to print
>> simple B&W graphics and Adobe documents using my HP IIP+ printer.
>> This has posed no problem over the years until recently, when I set
>> the size to Legal to print a long B&W print, which worked fine also.
>> Then I set the size back to Letter, and never again has it printed
>> graphics correctly.
>> All regular text and word processing programs still print OK. But
>> from that time on, every Adobe or graphics document prints in the
>> following wrong way: only the top of the document appears on one page,
>> abruptly ending and blank from there down, and the bottom of the
>> document appears on the bottom of the next. page which will be blank
>> in its upper portion. If you superimpose the two pages, the top and
>> bottom of the image line up perfectly. And here's the strangest part:
>> each time I print, the breakpoint is not at the same place on the
>> image, but is different. I have tried resetting the printer to its
>> defaults without
>> improvement. This must be pretty obscure. Does anyone have knowledge
>> about this? Thank you! RD2

I'd confirm that both the printer is set to 8.5x11 (thru the LCD panel)
and the software, (Windows I assume) is set to the same.
!