Strange HP IIP+ behavior on graphics. Any help?

Can anybody help me with this problem? I sometimes need to print
simple B&W graphics and Adobe documents using my HP IIP+ printer.
This has posed no problem over the years until recently, when I set
the size to Legal to print a long B&W print, which worked fine also.
Then I set the size back to Letter, and never again has it printed
graphics correctly.
All regular text and word processing programs still print OK. But
from that time on, every Adobe or graphics document prints in the
following wrong way: only the top of the document appears on one page,
abruptly ending and blank from there down, and the bottom of the
document appears on the bottom of the next. page which will be blank
in its upper portion. If you superimpose the two pages, the top and
bottom of the image line up perfectly. And here's the strangest part:
each time I print, the breakpoint is not at the same place on the
image, but is different.
I have tried resetting the printer to its defaults without
improvement. This must be pretty obscure. Does anyone have knowledge
about this? Thank you! RD2
10 answers Last reply
More about strange behavior graphics help

    In message <40a79d97.14977427@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
    >Can anybody help me with this problem? I sometimes need to print
    >simple B&W graphics and Adobe documents using my HP IIP+ printer.
    >This has posed no problem over the years until recently, when I set
    >the size to Legal to print a long B&W print, which worked fine also.
    >Then I set the size back to Letter, and never again has it printed
    >graphics correctly.
    >All regular text and word processing programs still print OK. But
    >from that time on, every Adobe or graphics document prints in the
    >following wrong way: only the top of the document appears on one page,
    >abruptly ending and blank from there down, and the bottom of the
    >document appears on the bottom of the next. page which will be blank
    >in its upper portion. If you superimpose the two pages, the top and
    >bottom of the image line up perfectly. And here's the strangest part:
    >each time I print, the breakpoint is not at the same place on the
    >image, but is different.
    >I have tried resetting the printer to its defaults without
    >improvement. This must be pretty obscure. Does anyone have knowledge
    >about this? Thank you! RD2

    Your printer is running out of memory, IIRC the IIP only came with .5
    meg memory so a graphic will often be more than that so it takes as much
    info in as it can, prints that then fills up the memory again.

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Mr. Lee,

    That sounded like a good suggestion, so to test it I made a graphic
    that is only one vertical line - pretty small size - and it still did
    the same problem.

    Plus, the printer has had no problem all these years until now, so can
    you you think of another possibility here?

    Thank you for taking the time to reply. RD2

    In message <40a9f6f2.1020783@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
    >Mr. Lee,
    >
    >That sounded like a good suggestion, so to test it I made a graphic
    >that is only one vertical line - pretty small size - and it still did
    >the same problem.
    >
    >Plus, the printer has had no problem all these years until now, so can
    >you you think of another possibility here?
    >
    >Thank you for taking the time to reply. RD2

    If its not the memory I don't know what to suggest, have you tried
    fiddling with advanced settings for memory handling for graphics in the
    Windows control panel printer settings?

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    I've just spent about a week chasing a fault in my laserjet IIIP which I
    think has similar
    mechanics. My problem was an extra page being inserted between
    multiple-page prints from
    the optional sheet feeder. But it was ok from the front sheet feeder. The
    cause could well
    apply to your laserjet IIp.

    There are two solenoids (look like relays without contact sets) in the sheet
    feeder and one
    next to the fuser inside the opening front on the right hand side. They
    control clutches.
    There is a felt pad under the armature stop of each solenoid. After many
    years these
    disintegrate and leave just the adhesive backing, which causes the solenoid
    to stick and
    mucks up the paper feed timing.

    Remove the armatures, clean off the sticky stuff and replace with self
    adhesive felt or
    whatever else you can find. It fixed mine.

    I might add I changed almost every opto sensor, roller and removeable part
    (I had a non working
    spare printer) before I found a clue on the internet. I was very pleased to
    get the hint, I
    had almost given up. It was an obvious thing I overlooked.

    Even if it's not the solution to your current problem, it probably will be
    one eventually. I'd be interested to
    hear if it fixes your problem.

    Good luck
    Barry

    "Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > In message <40a9f6f2.1020783@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
    > >Mr. Lee,
    > >
    > >That sounded like a good suggestion, so to test it I made a graphic
    > >that is only one vertical line - pretty small size - and it still did
    > >the same problem.
    > >
    > >Plus, the printer has had no problem all these years until now, so can
    > >you you think of another possibility here?
    > >
    > >Thank you for taking the time to reply. RD2
    >
    > If its not the memory I don't know what to suggest, have you tried
    > fiddling with advanced settings for memory handling for graphics in the
    > Windows control panel printer settings?
    >
    > --
    > Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    > tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Baz,

    Even though I wasnt convinced that my problem was the same as yours
    (because text pages print normally) I tried your suggestion.
    Unfortunately, my problem persists. Any other thoughts?

    RD2

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:28:27 +1000, "Baz" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I've just spent about a week chasing a fault in my laserjet IIIP which I
    >think has similar
    >mechanics. My problem was an extra page being inserted between
    >multiple-page prints from
    >the optional sheet feeder. But it was ok from the front sheet feeder. The
    >cause could well
    >apply to your laserjet IIp.
    >
    >There are two solenoids (look like relays without contact sets) in the sheet
    >feeder and one
    >next to the fuser inside the opening front on the right hand side. They
    >control clutches.
    >There is a felt pad under the armature stop of each solenoid. After many
    >years these
    >disintegrate and leave just the adhesive backing, which causes the solenoid
    >to stick and
    >mucks up the paper feed timing.
    >
    >Remove the armatures, clean off the sticky stuff and replace with self
    >adhesive felt or
    >whatever else you can find. It fixed mine.
    >
    >I might add I changed almost every opto sensor, roller and removeable part
    >(I had a non working
    >spare printer) before I found a clue on the internet. I was very pleased to
    >get the hint, I
    >had almost given up. It was an obvious thing I overlooked.
    >
    >Even if it's not the solution to your current problem, it probably will be
    >one eventually. I'd be interested to
    >hear if it fixes your problem.
    >
    >Good luck
    >Barry
    >

    >"Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> In message <40a9f6f2.1020783@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes
    >> >Mr. Lee,
    >> >
    >> >That sounded like a good suggestion, so to test it I made a graphic
    >> >that is only one vertical line - pretty small size - and it still did
    >> >the same problem.
    >> >
    >> >Plus, the printer has had no problem all these years until now, so can
    >> >you you think of another possibility here?
    >> >
    >> >Thank you for taking the time to reply. RD2
    >>
    >> If its not the memory I don't know what to suggest, have you tried
    >> fiddling with advanced settings for memory handling for graphics in the
    >> Windows control panel printer settings?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    >> tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Try going into your printer driver setting and make sure
    paper size is correct. possible

    "RD2" <void@en.com> wrote in message news:40b0071d.518888@news.nls.net...
    > Baz,
    >
    > Even though I wasnt convinced that my problem was the same as yours
    > (because text pages print normally) I tried your suggestion.
    > Unfortunately, my problem persists. Any other thoughts?
    >
    > RD2
    >

    > On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:28:27 +1000, "Baz" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I've just spent about a week chasing a fault in my laserjet IIIP which I
    > >think has similar
    > >mechanics. My problem was an extra page being inserted between
    > >multiple-page prints from
    > >the optional sheet feeder. But it was ok from the front sheet feeder.
    The
    > >cause could well
    > >apply to your laserjet IIp.
    > >
    > >There are two solenoids (look like relays without contact sets) in the
    sheet
    > >feeder and one
    > >next to the fuser inside the opening front on the right hand side. They
    > >control clutches.
    > >There is a felt pad under the armature stop of each solenoid. After many
    > >years these
    > >disintegrate and leave just the adhesive backing, which causes the
    solenoid
    > >to stick and
    > >mucks up the paper feed timing.
    > >
    > >Remove the armatures, clean off the sticky stuff and replace with self
    > >adhesive felt or
    > >whatever else you can find. It fixed mine.
    > >
    > >I might add I changed almost every opto sensor, roller and removeable
    part
    > >(I had a non working
    > >spare printer) before I found a clue on the internet. I was very pleased
    > >get the hint, I
    > >had almost given up. It was an obvious thing I overlooked.
    > >
    > >Even if it's not the solution to your current problem, it probably will
    be
    > >one eventually. I'd be interested to
    > >hear if it fixes your problem.
    > >
    > >Good luck
    > >Barry
    > >

    > >"Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >> In message <40a9f6f2.1020783@news.nls.net>, RD2 <void@en.com> writes

    > >> If its not the memory I don't know what to suggest, have you tried
    > >> fiddling with advanced settings for memory handling for graphics in the
    > >> Windows control panel printer settings?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    > >> tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Yo Yo,

    Yes, the paper size is set correctly. Any idea why the problem does
    not occur when printing text, only graphics or Adobe reader files?

    Thanks for thinking about it and for making a suggestion!

    RD2

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:42:39 -0400, "YoYo" <YoYo@none.of
    your.business.com> wrote:

    >Try going into your printer driver setting and make sure
    >paper size is correct. possible
    >

    >"RD2" <void@en.com> wrote in message news:40b0071d.518888@news.nls.net...
    >> Baz,
    >>
    >> Even though I wasnt convinced that my problem was the same as yours
    >> (because text pages print normally) I tried your suggestion.
    >> Unfortunately, my problem persists. Any other thoughts?
    >>
    >> RD2
    >>

    >> On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:28:27 +1000, "Baz" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've just spent about a week chasing a fault in my laserjet IIIP which I
    >> >think has similar
    >> >mechanics. My problem was an extra page being inserted between
    >> >multiple-page prints from
    >> >the optional sheet feeder. But it was ok from the front sheet feeder.
    >The
    >> >cause could well
    >> >apply to your laserjet IIp.
    >> >
    >> >There are two solenoids (look like relays without contact sets) in the
    >sheet
    >> >feeder and one
    >> >next to the fuser inside the opening front on the right hand side. They
    >> >control clutches.
    >> >There is a felt pad under the armature stop of each solenoid. After many
    >> >years these
    >> >disintegrate and leave just the adhesive backing, which causes the
    >solenoid
    >> >to stick and
    >> >mucks up the paper feed timing.
    >> >
    >> >Remove the armatures, clean off the sticky stuff and replace with self
    >> >adhesive felt or
    >> >whatever else you can find. It fixed mine.
    >> >
    >> >I might add I changed almost every opto sensor, roller and removeable
    >part
    >> >(I had a non working
    >> >spare printer) before I found a clue on the internet. I was very pleased
    >> >get the hint, I
    >> >had almost given up. It was an obvious thing I overlooked.
    >> >
    >> >Even if it's not the solution to your current problem, it probably will
    >be
    >> >one eventually. I'd be interested to
    >> >hear if it fixes your problem.
    >> >
    >> >Good luck
    >> >Barry
    >> >

    >> >"Timothy Lee" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    I guess your first logical step is to try the printer on another computer
    (and just to be certain another printer on your computer). That way at
    least you'll know if you're chasing a printer fault or computer (software)
    fault. Although on the face of it, it looks like a software problem as it
    occurred after you changed your settings.

    Sorry about the unnecessary hardware suggestion ealier, I should have read
    your message more closely (that is it printed ok with text only). But as I
    said you'll probably need to do it sooner or later anyway.

    By the way, when you go to printer test (off line, Alt/Test) and it prints
    the two test pages, do they come out ok? If not that would immediately
    point to a printer problem. (This may have already been suggested but the

    Barry

    "RD2" <void@en.com> wrote in message news:40b6bbf4.1052410@news.nls.net...
    > Yo Yo,
    >
    > Yes, the paper size is set correctly. Any idea why the problem does
    > not occur when printing text, only graphics or Adobe reader files?
    >
    > Thanks for thinking about it and for making a suggestion!
    >
    > RD2
    >
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:42:39 -0400, "YoYo" <YoYo@none.of
    > your.business.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Try going into your printer driver setting and make sure
    > >paper size is correct. possible
    > >

    > >"RD2" <void@en.com> wrote in message news:40b0071d.518888@news.nls.net...
    > >> Baz,
    > >>
    > >> Even though I wasnt convinced that my problem was the same as yours
    > >> (because text pages print normally) I tried your suggestion.
    > >> Unfortunately, my problem persists. Any other thoughts?
    > >>
    > >> RD2

    > >The

    > >sheet
    They
    > >solenoid

    > >part

    > >be

    memory/ printer memory

    fred smith wrote:

    > memory/ printer memory
    >
    > RD2 wrote:
    >
    >> Can anybody help me with this problem? I sometimes need to print
    >> simple B&W graphics and Adobe documents using my HP IIP+ printer.
    >> This has posed no problem over the years until recently, when I set
    >> the size to Legal to print a long B&W print, which worked fine also.
    >> Then I set the size back to Letter, and never again has it printed
    >> graphics correctly.
    >> All regular text and word processing programs still print OK. But
    >> from that time on, every Adobe or graphics document prints in the
    >> following wrong way: only the top of the document appears on one page,
    >> abruptly ending and blank from there down, and the bottom of the
    >> document appears on the bottom of the next. page which will be blank
    >> in its upper portion. If you superimpose the two pages, the top and
    >> bottom of the image line up perfectly. And here's the strangest part:
    >> each time I print, the breakpoint is not at the same place on the
    >> image, but is different. I have tried resetting the printer to its
    >> defaults without
    >> improvement. This must be pretty obscure. Does anyone have knowledge
    >> about this? Thank you! RD2

    I'd confirm that both the printer is set to 8.5x11 (thru the LCD panel)
    and the software, (Windows I assume) is set to the same.

Printers Graphics Hewlett Packard Peripherals