ASUS P4B266

Where can I find out if this memory be compatible with this motherboard?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1160394&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Many thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about asus p4b266

    In article <A9aPd.25805$K54.23784@edtnps84>, "SR"
    <sranauta@ab.bluecross.ca> wrote:

    > Where can I find out if this memory be compatible with this motherboard?

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1160394&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

    > Many thanks

    The Tigerdirect.ca stick is $217 CDN.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P4B266&submit=Go

    1GB DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED $235 U.S. = $290.62 CDN
    1GB DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED $220 U.S. = $272.07 CDN
    1GB DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED $249 U.S. = $307.94 CDN

    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=11431
    1GB 266MHz DDR PC2100 DIMM CL2.5 $287 U.S. = $354.93 CDN

    512MB sticks are about $75 U.S. so there is a premium for the 1GB size.

    I think I would be concerned about a few things:

    1) Why is a rebate available on a memory DIMM ? Memory prices
    fluctuate so much, a DIMM always has a "market price", which
    will change from day to day.
    2) I cannot seem to find the "Ultra" brand anywhere except TigerDirect
    or associates. Is this actually Samsung memory ? Or just some
    generic module.
    3) Does the module use 64Mx8 chips ? A good module will use
    (16) 64Mx8 bit chips to make a 1GB module. The memory controller
    on your board will likely not be happy with other formulations.
    At least with the Kingston stick, you can verify this:

    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR266X64C25_1G.pdf
    4) What warranty does the product have ?

    I've been burned a couple of times by cheap memory, and the
    memory failed between one and two years after date of
    purchase. I would want at least a two year warranty on this
    "bargain".

    Tigerdirect.ca rating 4.35 out of a possible 10! 'Nuff said.

    Unless you can find a web site for this Ultra brand, I would
    be wary of the construction of the module. The worst kind of
    memory to buy, is ones where the chips have a black plastic
    top with no info printed on it - memory chips like that are
    rejects from a manufacturer without the guts to brand their
    memory. If a memory chip is good enough to sell, it is good
    enough to have a real chip foundary name printed on it, not
    some bogus branding. (Hynix, Samsung, Micron, Infineon, Mosel
    etc). When numbers are printed on the top of branded memory,
    it means the memory passed all tests at the original foundary,
    not after a barrel of reject chips was sorted in some back
    alley.

    Can you tell I really hate generic memory now ?

    Especially if there is no warranty or nobody to handle the
    warranty claim. No more bargains for me. Even if you buy
    from a brand name, you should still read the warranty on
    their web site, and if the warranty is not in plain English,
    phone the pre-sales support and ask for details.

    Paul

    "SR" <sranauta@ab.bluecross.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Where can I find out if this memory be compatible with this motherboard?

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1160394&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

    Well, I´ve a 512mb stick PC3200 running on this board.
    Add., the manual says: up to 2gb ram supported and the mobo does have 3
    slots for ram only. So - there has to be support for a _1gb_ stick as well.

    IMO - yes, it´ll work.

    Hope I could help u a little.

Asus Compatibility Motherboards Memory