ASUS P4B266

Paul

Splendid

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1160394&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

> Many thanks

The Tigerdirect.ca stick is $217 CDN.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=P4B266&submit=Go

1GB DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED $235 U.S. = $290.62 CDN
1GB DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED $220 U.S. = $272.07 CDN
1GB DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED $249 U.S. = $307.94 CDN

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=11431
1GB 266MHz DDR PC2100 DIMM CL2.5 $287 U.S. = $354.93 CDN

512MB sticks are about $75 U.S. so there is a premium for the 1GB size.

I think I would be concerned about a few things:

1) Why is a rebate available on a memory DIMM ? Memory prices
fluctuate so much, a DIMM always has a "market price", which
will change from day to day.
2) I cannot seem to find the "Ultra" brand anywhere except TigerDirect
or associates. Is this actually Samsung memory ? Or just some
generic module.
3) Does the module use 64Mx8 chips ? A good module will use
(16) 64Mx8 bit chips to make a 1GB module. The memory controller
on your board will likely not be happy with other formulations.
At least with the Kingston stick, you can verify this:

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR266X64C25_1G.pdf
4) What warranty does the product have ?

I've been burned a couple of times by cheap memory, and the
memory failed between one and two years after date of
purchase. I would want at least a two year warranty on this
"bargain".

Tigerdirect.ca rating 4.35 out of a possible 10! 'Nuff said.

Unless you can find a web site for this Ultra brand, I would
be wary of the construction of the module. The worst kind of
memory to buy, is ones where the chips have a black plastic
top with no info printed on it - memory chips like that are
rejects from a manufacturer without the guts to brand their
memory. If a memory chip is good enough to sell, it is good
enough to have a real chip foundary name printed on it, not
some bogus branding. (Hynix, Samsung, Micron, Infineon, Mosel
etc). When numbers are printed on the top of branded memory,
it means the memory passed all tests at the original foundary,
not after a barrel of reject chips was sorted in some back
alley.

Can you tell I really hate generic memory now ?

Especially if there is no warranty or nobody to handle the
warranty claim. No more bargains for me. Even if you buy
from a brand name, you should still read the warranty on
their web site, and if the warranty is not in plain English,
phone the pre-sales support and ask for details.

Paul

"SR" <sranauta@ab.bluecross.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
> Where can I find out if this memory be compatible with this motherboard?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1160394&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Well, I´ve a 512mb stick PC3200 running on this board.
Add., the manual says: up to 2gb ram supported and the mobo does have 3
slots for ram only. So - there has to be support for a _1gb_ stick as well.

IMO - yes, it´ll work.

Hope I could help u a little.