A8N-SLI Delux odd DHCP Problems

I've just built a system using Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, everything appear to
be working fine except for DHCP.

I have other computers (all Asus motherboards), and the get their IP
addresses from a Netgear DG834G router/firewall/DHCP server.

My other system is given a IP address of 192.168.0.X with a netmask of
255.255.255.0, and this connects to the Internet with no problems at all .

My new system based on A8N-SLI Deluxe, however, appears to get an
address of 196.254.X.X, with a netmask of 255.255.0.0.
This occurs with both the onboard interfaces, and even a NIC on a
plugged in PCI card (and USB NIC), these all get similar addresses,
beginning 196.254.X.X

If I manually config one of the interfaces to 192.168.0.10 say, the I
can ping the router, but can't connect to the Internet.

I was wondering if anyone else had observed these problems with this
board and DHCP?

The system board has BIOS 1003. All of the other system components were
working fine on an A8V Deluxe, which I removed to fit the A8N-SLI Deluxe
board, the A8V Deluxe worked fine with the Netgear. It's only since
fitting this board that these problems started.

The system was installed with fresh install of Windows XP Pro.

Please Reply to group.

Paul

Splendid

In article <4vbPd.1829$cX3.479@newsfe1-win.ntli.net>, David Craig
<david.craig90_NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote:

> I've just built a system using Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, everything appear to
> be working fine except for DHCP.
>
> I have other computers (all Asus motherboards), and the get their IP
> addresses from a Netgear DG834G router/firewall/DHCP server.
>
> My other system is given a IP address of 192.168.0.X with a netmask of
> 255.255.255.0, and this connects to the Internet with no problems at all .
>
> My new system based on A8N-SLI Deluxe, however, appears to get an
> address of 196.254.X.X, with a netmask of 255.255.0.0.
> This occurs with both the onboard interfaces, and even a NIC on a
> plugged in PCI card (and USB NIC), these all get similar addresses,
> beginning 196.254.X.X
>
> If I manually config one of the interfaces to 192.168.0.10 say, the I
> can ping the router, but can't connect to the Internet.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had observed these problems with this
> board and DHCP?
>
> The system board has BIOS 1003. All of the other system components were
> working fine on an A8V Deluxe, which I removed to fit the A8N-SLI Deluxe
> board, the A8V Deluxe worked fine with the Netgear. It's only since
> fitting this board that these problems started.
>
> The system was installed with fresh install of Windows XP Pro.
>
> Please Reply to group.

This recent post suggests there is an installation problem with the
Nvidia software.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=41ff790c%240%2416576%24cc9e4d1f%40news-text.dial.pipex.com

The post mentioned this thread on Anandtech, where someone discovered
there are files missing.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1494258&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

Have you tried disabling the Nvidia firewall, as a start ?
If your symptoms clear up, then your problem may be the same one
that other people have been fighting with.

Paul

"David Craig" <david.craig90_NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote in message
> I've just built a system using Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, everything appear to
> be working fine except for DHCP.
>
> I have other computers (all Asus motherboards), and the get their IP
> addresses from a Netgear DG834G router/firewall/DHCP server.
>
> My other system is given a IP address of 192.168.0.X with a netmask of
> 255.255.255.0, and this connects to the Internet with no problems at all .
>
> My new system based on A8N-SLI Deluxe, however, appears to get an address
> of 196.254.X.X, with a netmask of 255.255.0.0.
> This occurs with both the onboard interfaces, and even a NIC on a plugged
> in PCI card (and USB NIC), these all get similar addresses, beginning
> 196.254.X.X
>
> If I manually config one of the interfaces to 192.168.0.10 say, the I can
> ping the router, but can't connect to the Internet.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had observed these problems with this board
> and DHCP?
>
> The system board has BIOS 1003. All of the other system components were
> working fine on an A8V Deluxe, which I removed to fit the A8N-SLI Deluxe
> board, the A8V Deluxe worked fine with the Netgear. It's only since
> fitting this board that these problems started.
>
> The system was installed with fresh install of Windows XP Pro.
>
> Please Reply to group.

I run an A8n-SLI Deluxe and I use a dummy address of 192.168.1.10 on the
Nvidia NIC and it works perfectly on the internet. When I installed the mobo
drivers, I selected NO when asked to install the Nvidia Firewall, and I use
the XP firewall.

edde wrote:
> "David Craig" <david.craig90_NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote in message
>
>>I've just built a system using Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, everything appear to
>>be working fine except for DHCP.
>>
>>I have other computers (all Asus motherboards), and the get their IP
>>addresses from a Netgear DG834G router/firewall/DHCP server.
>>
>>My other system is given a IP address of 192.168.0.X with a netmask of
>>255.255.255.0, and this connects to the Internet with no problems at all .
>>
>>My new system based on A8N-SLI Deluxe, however, appears to get an address
>>of 196.254.X.X, with a netmask of 255.255.0.0.
>>This occurs with both the onboard interfaces, and even a NIC on a plugged
>>in PCI card (and USB NIC), these all get similar addresses, beginning
>>196.254.X.X
>>
>>If I manually config one of the interfaces to 192.168.0.10 say, the I can
>>ping the router, but can't connect to the Internet.
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone else had observed these problems with this board
>>and DHCP?
>>
>>The system board has BIOS 1003. All of the other system components were
>>working fine on an A8V Deluxe, which I removed to fit the A8N-SLI Deluxe
>>board, the A8V Deluxe worked fine with the Netgear. It's only since
>>fitting this board that these problems started.
>>
>>The system was installed with fresh install of Windows XP Pro.
>>
>>Please Reply to group.
>

> I run an A8n-SLI Deluxe and I use a dummy address of 192.168.1.10 on the
> Nvidia NIC and it works perfectly on the internet. When I installed the mobo
> drivers, I selected NO when asked to install the Nvidia Firewall, and I use
> the XP firewall.

This is a clean in stall of XP, I haven't got the nvidia firewall in
stalled. Will keep looking into the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. Other suggestion welcome.

PS. When the motherboard arrived it has a bad bios, I had to use the CD
to re-flash it. Could it be anything in the BIOS?

David

Paul

Splendid

In article <l9jPd.55$P07.14@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, David Craig
<david.craig90_NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote:

> edde wrote:
> > "David Craig" <david.craig90_NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>I've just built a system using Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, everything appear to
> >>be working fine except for DHCP.
> >>
> >>I have other computers (all Asus motherboards), and the get their IP
> >>addresses from a Netgear DG834G router/firewall/DHCP server.
> >>
> >>My other system is given a IP address of 192.168.0.X with a netmask of
> >>255.255.255.0, and this connects to the Internet with no problems at all .
> >>
> >>My new system based on A8N-SLI Deluxe, however, appears to get an address
> >>of 196.254.X.X, with a netmask of 255.255.0.0.
> >>This occurs with both the onboard interfaces, and even a NIC on a plugged
> >>in PCI card (and USB NIC), these all get similar addresses, beginning
> >>196.254.X.X
> >>
> >>If I manually config one of the interfaces to 192.168.0.10 say, the I can
> >>ping the router, but can't connect to the Internet.
> >>
> >>I was wondering if anyone else had observed these problems with this board
> >>and DHCP?
> >>
> >>The system board has BIOS 1003. All of the other system components were
> >>working fine on an A8V Deluxe, which I removed to fit the A8N-SLI Deluxe
> >>board, the A8V Deluxe worked fine with the Netgear. It's only since
> >>fitting this board that these problems started.
> >>
> >>The system was installed with fresh install of Windows XP Pro.
> >>
> >>Please Reply to group.
> >

> > I run an A8n-SLI Deluxe and I use a dummy address of 192.168.1.10 on the
> > Nvidia NIC and it works perfectly on the internet. When I installed
the mobo
> > drivers, I selected NO when asked to install the Nvidia Firewall, and I use
> > the XP firewall.
> >

> This is a clean in stall of XP, I haven't got the nvidia firewall in
> stalled. Will keep looking into the problem.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Other suggestion welcome.
>
> PS. When the motherboard arrived it has a bad bios, I had to use the CD
> to re-flash it. Could it be anything in the BIOS?
>
> David

On my router, you can restrict the number of DHCP clients. Maybe
you need to go into the router and bump that number up by one ?

There are some commands you can run from a command (MSDOS) window:

ipconfig /all # shows networking info
ipconfig /renew # renew DHCP lease

See what network info these show.

The ping command proves at least the cable isn't bad.

Paul

Paul wrote:
> In article <l9jPd.55$P07.14@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, David Craig
> <david.craig90_NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote:
>

>>edde wrote:
>>
>>>"David Craig" <david.craig90_NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote in message

>>>I run an A8n-SLI Deluxe and I use a dummy address of 192.168.1.10 on the
>>>Nvidia NIC and it works perfectly on the internet. When I installed
>
> the mobo
>
>>>drivers, I selected NO when asked to install the Nvidia Firewall, and I use
>>>the XP firewall.
>>>

>>This is a clean in stall of XP, I haven't got the nvidia firewall in
>>stalled. Will keep looking into the problem.
>>
>>Thanks for the suggestions. Other suggestion welcome.
>>
>>PS. When the motherboard arrived it has a bad bios, I had to use the CD
>>to re-flash it. Could it be anything in the BIOS?
>>
>>David
>

> On my router, you can restrict the number of DHCP clients. Maybe
> you need to go into the router and bump that number up by one ?
>
> There are some commands you can run from a command (MSDOS) window:
>
> ipconfig /all # shows networking info
> ipconfig /renew # renew DHCP lease
>
> See what network info these show.
>
> The ping command proves at least the cable isn't bad.
>
> Paul

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After another clean re-install, and leaving off the nvidia firewall
(which failed to install any way), this problems appears to have
rectified itself.

I'd tried the above ipconfig commands, but these failed to help, after
the original install....

Happy now though it working, so I and send mails from my new system.

I have a question about the HT speed, which I post as a new question

Regards,
David