Asus P4C800E deluxe capacity problem

Hi all. I've assembled a system using the following
componets.
Intel P4 3.2(retail HS).
CPU temp checked and not high.
Asus P4C800E-Deluxe MB(bios 1.019)
2 times 1 gig dimm's (kraton 3200U CL 3)(total of two gigs)
Case edge case with a 430watt PS
One 160 gig SATA segate HD.
Nivida Geforce 6800 GT(on its on power connector, and not sharing a
IRQ).using the 66.93 drivers from Nvida's site.
Sound blaster Audigy 2(drivers from site)
Plextor DvDr drive (Px712A).
Windows XP pro, SP2.
Now all of this works...Posted fine and no
trouble there...But when I run benchmarks and
applications, I'm seeing a serious bottle neck
in capacity. I have the dimms installed in dual mode
(slot one and slot three). The dimms have been checked,
and they are 3200's. They post as 400mhz dual channel
linear mode. When I run Sandra 2004 I'm seeing only 37-41%
capacity in terms of memory bandwidth. The Aquarmark score
is 27,040. Future mark 05 is 2754. Future mark 03 is 8521.
I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Does anyone
have any experience in dealing with this problem? MANY
thanks in advance.
10 answers Last reply
More about asus p4c800e deluxe capacity problem

    "Wraith" <udntk@udwtk.com> skrev i en meddelelse

    > Intel P4 3.2(retail HS).
    > Nivida Geforce 6800 GT

    > They post as 400mhz dual channel
    > linear mode. When I run Sandra 2004 I'm seeing only 37-41%
    > capacity in terms of memory bandwidth.

    What exactly are your sandra memory bandwith readings ?

    Wraith wrote:

    > Hi all. I've assembled a system using the following
    > componets.
    > Intel P4 3.2(retail HS).
    > CPU temp checked and not high.
    > Asus P4C800E-Deluxe MB(bios 1.019)
    > 2 times 1 gig dimm's (kraton 3200U CL 3)(total of two gigs)
    > Case edge case with a 430watt PS
    > One 160 gig SATA segate HD.
    > Nivida Geforce 6800 GT(on its on power connector, and not sharing a
    > IRQ).using the 66.93 drivers from Nvida's site.
    > Sound blaster Audigy 2(drivers from site)
    > Plextor DvDr drive (Px712A).
    > Windows XP pro, SP2.
    > Now all of this works...Posted fine and no
    > trouble there...But when I run benchmarks and
    > applications, I'm seeing a serious bottle neck
    > in capacity. I have the dimms installed in dual mode
    > (slot one and slot three). The dimms have been checked,
    > and they are 3200's. They post as 400mhz dual channel
    > linear mode. When I run Sandra 2004 I'm seeing only 37-41%
    > capacity in terms of memory bandwidth. The Aquarmark score
    > is 27,040. Future mark 05 is 2754. Future mark 03 is 8521.
    > I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Does anyone
    > have any experience in dealing with this problem? MANY
    > thanks in advance.

    My P4C800ED, with a 3 GHz Prescott CPU and 2x512MB of dual-channel
    CL 2.5 DDR400 ECC RAM:
    Sandra reports BW = ~4.5 GB/s (and, correctly, 6.4 GB/s peak).
    Everest, which I like better than Sandra, reports ~5.2/1.7 GB/s for
    read/write BW.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:27:35 +0100, "N´far" <rudiNOSPAM@mail.dk>
    wrote:

    >"Wraith" <udntk@udwtk.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    >
    >> Intel P4 3.2(retail HS).
    >> Nivida Geforce 6800 GT
    >
    >> They post as 400mhz dual channel
    >> linear mode. When I run Sandra 2004 I'm seeing only 37-41%
    >> capacity in terms of memory bandwidth.
    >
    >What exactly are your sandra memory bandwith readings ?

    This is the entire result.

    SiSoftware Sandra

    Benchmark Results
    RAM Bandwidth Int Buff'd iSSE2 : 1745MB/s
    RAM Bandwidth Float Buff'd iSSE2 : 1744MB/s

    Int Buff'd iSSE2 (Integer STREAM) Results Breakdown
    Assignment : 1738MB/s
    Scaling : 1741MB/s
    Addition : 1754MB/s
    Triad : 1747MB/s
    Data Item Size : 16-bytes
    Buffering Used : Yes
    Offset Displacement Used : Yes
    Bandwidth Efficiency : 27% (estimated)

    Float Buff'd iSSE2 (Float STREAM) Results Breakdown
    Assignment : 1734MB/s
    Scaling : 1735MB/s
    Addition : 1751MB/s
    Triad : 1759MB/s
    Data Item Size : 16-bytes
    Buffering Used : Yes
    Offset Displacement Used : Yes
    Bandwidth Efficiency : 27% (estimated)

    Performance Test Status
    Run ID : RING6 on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 6:31:49 PM
    Memory Used by Test : 512MB
    NUMA Support : No
    SMP Test : No
    Total Test Threads : 1
    SMT Test : No
    Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
    Processor Affinity : P0
    Page Size : 4kB
    Use Large Memory Pages : No

    Chipset 1
    Model : ASUSTeK Computer Inc 82875P,E7210 Memory Controller Hub
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
    Width : 64-bit
    Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 6400MB/s (estimated)

    Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
    Bank 0 : 1024MB DDR-SDRAM 3.0-3-3-8CL 1CMD
    Bank 1 : 1024MB DDR-SDRAM 3.0-3-3-8CL 1CMD
    Channels : 2
    Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)
    Width : 64-bit
    Performance Acceleration Technology : No
    Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 6400MB/s (estimated)

    Features
    (W)MMX Technology : Yes
    SSE Technology : Yes
    SSE2 Technology : Yes
    SSE3 Technology : Yes
    HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:49:57 -0500, Bob Willard
    <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

    >Wraith wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all. I've assembled a system using the following
    >> componets.
    >> Intel P4 3.2(retail HS).
    >> CPU temp checked and not high.
    >> Asus P4C800E-Deluxe MB(bios 1.019)
    >> 2 times 1 gig dimm's (kraton 3200U CL 3)(total of two gigs)
    >> Case edge case with a 430watt PS
    >> One 160 gig SATA segate HD.
    >> Nivida Geforce 6800 GT(on its on power connector, and not sharing a
    >> IRQ).using the 66.93 drivers from Nvida's site.
    >> Sound blaster Audigy 2(drivers from site)
    >> Plextor DvDr drive (Px712A).
    >> Windows XP pro, SP2.
    >> Now all of this works...Posted fine and no
    >> trouble there...But when I run benchmarks and
    >> applications, I'm seeing a serious bottle neck
    >> in capacity. I have the dimms installed in dual mode
    >> (slot one and slot three). The dimms have been checked,
    >> and they are 3200's. They post as 400mhz dual channel
    >> linear mode. When I run Sandra 2004 I'm seeing only 37-41%
    >> capacity in terms of memory bandwidth. The Aquarmark score
    >> is 27,040. Future mark 05 is 2754. Future mark 03 is 8521.
    >> I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Does anyone
    >> have any experience in dealing with this problem? MANY
    >> thanks in advance.
    >
    >My P4C800ED, with a 3 GHz Prescott CPU and 2x512MB of dual-channel
    >CL 2.5 DDR400 ECC RAM:
    >Sandra reports BW = ~4.5 GB/s (and, correctly, 6.4 GB/s peak).
    >Everest, which I like better than Sandra, reports ~5.2/1.7 GB/s for
    >read/write BW.

    Just downloaded and ran Everest HE.

    Its reporting 2079 Read 847 Write.

    In news:6mbt019j4sd5dskg98qj5dqvlcdeofho53@4ax.com,
    Wraith <udntk@udwtk.com> typed:

    > Performance Acceleration Technology : No

    First - turn on PAT , it seems to be disabled.
    *
    *P4 3.0E,QC-80Cu,P4C800-Dlx/Wi-Fi,1024MB/400,Sapph9600P/128bB*
    *CT-A2ZS1394 7.1,CT-InspireP580,LTV878-FBKMN,HyundaiIQ790*
    *1x40GB+2x80GB/7200,SD-M1712/CRW-5232AS,GPS-350BB-101L*

    Wraith wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:49:57 -0500, Bob Willard
    > <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Wraith wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi all. I've assembled a system using the following
    >>>componets.
    >>>Intel P4 3.2(retail HS).
    >>>CPU temp checked and not high.
    >>>Asus P4C800E-Deluxe MB(bios 1.019)
    >>>2 times 1 gig dimm's (kraton 3200U CL 3)(total of two gigs)
    >>>Case edge case with a 430watt PS
    >>>One 160 gig SATA segate HD.
    >>>Nivida Geforce 6800 GT(on its on power connector, and not sharing a
    >>>IRQ).using the 66.93 drivers from Nvida's site.
    >>>Sound blaster Audigy 2(drivers from site)
    >>>Plextor DvDr drive (Px712A).
    >>>Windows XP pro, SP2.
    >>>Now all of this works...Posted fine and no
    >>>trouble there...But when I run benchmarks and
    >>>applications, I'm seeing a serious bottle neck
    >>>in capacity. I have the dimms installed in dual mode
    >>>(slot one and slot three). The dimms have been checked,
    >>>and they are 3200's. They post as 400mhz dual channel
    >>>linear mode. When I run Sandra 2004 I'm seeing only 37-41%
    >>>capacity in terms of memory bandwidth. The Aquarmark score
    >>>is 27,040. Future mark 05 is 2754. Future mark 03 is 8521.
    >>>I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Does anyone
    >>>have any experience in dealing with this problem? MANY
    >>>thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>My P4C800ED, with a 3 GHz Prescott CPU and 2x512MB of dual-channel
    >>CL 2.5 DDR400 ECC RAM:
    >>Sandra reports BW = ~4.5 GB/s (and, correctly, 6.4 GB/s peak).
    >>Everest, which I like better than Sandra, reports ~5.2/1.7 GB/s for
    >>read/write BW.
    >

    > Just downloaded and ran Everest HE.
    >
    > Its reporting 2079 Read 847 Write.

    Wow - that's horrible.

    Just to check - DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 means using the blue sockets,
    which works for me.

    When you run Everest, make sure no other apps are running, since Everest
    must compete for memory BW (and for CPU cycles) which will surely hurt
    the reported BW. For example, when I run a couple of FP-intensive apps
    with Everest, the reported memory BW goes down by ~25%, and those apps
    are not memory-intensive.

    (Sorry if this reply appears twice - my ISP's news server is flakey.)
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Just for curiousity, I ran Everest on my P4C800E Deluxe to see what mine
    measured at.

    Mine's only a 2.8gig with 512 of generic DDR400 ram (in the blue sockets)
    that I thru together just to have a system I could use for trying new
    software/hardware on for experimenting.
    (BIOS 1120 beta)

    nothing fancy at all, just a mediocore system to play with..
    All stock settings, no attempt at OC'ing at all.

    with SETI running in the background...
    Read: 3226
    Write: 1128

    turned SETI off....
    Read: 4122
    Write: 1256

    Sandra 2004...memory bandwidth benchmark

    with SETI running:
    Int.: 3671
    Float: 3688

    turn SETI off:
    Int: 4474
    Float: 4475

    and like the OP, Sandra 2004 is listing PAT as OFF:

    "Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Wraith wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:49:57 -0500, Bob Willard
    >> <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

    >>>My P4C800ED, with a 3 GHz Prescott CPU and 2x512MB of dual-channel
    >>>CL 2.5 DDR400 ECC RAM:
    >>>Sandra reports BW = ~4.5 GB/s (and, correctly, 6.4 GB/s peak).
    >>>Everest, which I like better than Sandra, reports ~5.2/1.7 GB/s for
    >>>read/write BW.
    >>

    >> Just downloaded and ran Everest HE.
    >>
    >> Its reporting 2079 Read 847 Write.
    >
    > Wow - that's horrible.
    >
    > Just to check - DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 means using the blue sockets,
    > which works for me.
    >
    > When you run Everest, make sure no other apps are running, since Everest
    > must compete for memory BW (and for CPU cycles) which will surely hurt
    > the reported BW. For example, when I run a couple of FP-intensive apps
    > with Everest, the reported memory BW goes down by ~25%, and those apps
    > are not memory-intensive.
    >
    > (Sorry if this reply appears twice - my ISP's news server is flakey.)
    > --
    > Cheers, Bob

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:59:33 -0500, Bob Willard
    <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

    >Wraith wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:49:57 -0500, Bob Willard
    >> <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

    >>>My P4C800ED, with a 3 GHz Prescott CPU and 2x512MB of dual-channel
    >>>CL 2.5 DDR400 ECC RAM:
    >>>Sandra reports BW = ~4.5 GB/s (and, correctly, 6.4 GB/s peak).
    >>>Everest, which I like better than Sandra, reports ~5.2/1.7 GB/s for
    >>>read/write BW.
    >>

    >> Just downloaded and ran Everest HE.
    >>
    >> Its reporting 2079 Read 847 Write.
    >
    >Wow - that's horrible.
    >
    >Just to check - DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 means using the blue sockets,
    >which works for me.
    >
    >When you run Everest, make sure no other apps are running, since Everest
    >must compete for memory BW (and for CPU cycles) which will surely hurt
    >the reported BW. For example, when I run a couple of FP-intensive apps
    >with Everest, the reported memory BW goes down by ~25%, and those apps
    >are not memory-intensive.
    >
    >(Sorry if this reply appears twice - my ISP's news server is flakey.)

    Just double checked...They are both in the blue slots. When
    I run it, nothing is running in the background.I have TDS3(most
    recent data base) AVG pro7(most recent data base) spybot
    search and destroy, ad aware, and scan spyware(all the
    most recent versions). I also have sysgate pro firewall,
    and I use the firefox browser. I've checked for malware
    processes...Nothing. I was hoping that someone out there
    had some idea how to proceed. Many thanks for your time
    and effort.

    Wraith wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:59:33 -0500, Bob Willard
    > <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Wraith wrote:

    >>>Just downloaded and ran Everest HE.
    >>>
    >>>Its reporting 2079 Read 847 Write.
    >>
    >>Wow - that's horrible.
    >>
    >>Just to check - DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 means using the blue sockets,
    >>which works for me.
    >>
    >>When you run Everest, make sure no other apps are running, since Everest
    >>must compete for memory BW (and for CPU cycles) which will surely hurt
    >>the reported BW. For example, when I run a couple of FP-intensive apps
    >>with Everest, the reported memory BW goes down by ~25%, and those apps
    >>are not memory-intensive.
    >>
    >>(Sorry if this reply appears twice - my ISP's news server is flakey.)
    >

    > Just double checked...They are both in the blue slots. When
    > I run it, nothing is running in the background.I have TDS3(most
    > recent data base) AVG pro7(most recent data base) spybot
    > search and destroy, ad aware, and scan spyware(all the
    > most recent versions). I also have sysgate pro firewall,
    > and I use the firefox browser. I've checked for malware
    > processes...Nothing. I was hoping that someone out there
    > had some idea how to proceed. Many thanks for your time
    > and effort.

    try each of the DIMMs separately to rule out as bad stick of memory

    In article <i7lv0154fdaj4g4q007hg46jktplu60ua5@4ax.com>, Wraith
    <udntk@udwtk.com> wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:59:33 -0500, Bob Willard
    > <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Wraith wrote:

    > >> Just downloaded and ran Everest HE.
    > >>
    > >> Its reporting 2079 Read 847 Write.
    > >
    > >Wow - that's horrible.
    > >
    > >Just to check - DIMMs in slots 1 and 3 means using the blue sockets,
    > >which works for me.
    > >
    > >When you run Everest, make sure no other apps are running, since Everest
    > >must compete for memory BW (and for CPU cycles) which will surely hurt
    > >the reported BW. For example, when I run a couple of FP-intensive apps
    > >with Everest, the reported memory BW goes down by ~25%, and those apps
    > >are not memory-intensive.
    > >
    > >(Sorry if this reply appears twice - my ISP's news server is flakey.)
    >
    > Just double checked...They are both in the blue slots. When
    > I run it, nothing is running in the background.I have TDS3(most
    > recent data base) AVG pro7(most recent data base) spybot
    > search and destroy, ad aware, and scan spyware(all the
    > most recent versions). I also have sysgate pro firewall,
    > and I use the firefox browser. I've checked for malware
    > processes...Nothing. I was hoping that someone out there
    > had some idea how to proceed. Many thanks for your time
    > and effort.

    You need to eliminate the operating system and background tasks
    from your measurements. Get a copy of memtest86 from www.memtest.org .
    It is a memory test program, but it has a "bandwidth" indicator in
    the upper left hand corner of the screen.

    Memtest86 will format a blank floppy for you. You set the floppy in
    your boot order, and the computer will boot from the memtest86
    prepared floppy. The screen of the computer will run in 640x480
    mode and display memory information, including the progress of
    the test. Just pop the floppy and press esc to terminate the
    test and reboot the computer. With the floppy removed, you'll
    boot back to your hard drive.

    Memtest has three bandwidth indicators, and the third one (smallest
    value) is the measurement of main memory. I get 2955MB/sec with
    version 1.40 of memtest86+ .

    I also ran Everest Version 1.10.106 and the memory benchmarks are:

    Memory Read 5360MB/sec
    Memory Write 2341MB/sec

    My system:
    2.8Ghz/FSB800/512KB Northwood stock speed
    2x512MB Ballistix PC3200

    System settings:
    AI Overclock Tuner [Standard]
    Performance Mode [Standard] (I think this helps get PAT)
    Hyperthreading Technology [Enabled]
    Configure DRAM Timing by SPD [Disabled]
    (memory set to 2-2-2-6-4)
    Performance Accelerate Mode [Enabled]
    DRAM Idle Timer [Auto]
    DRAM Refresh Rate [Auto]
    PCI Latency Timer [64] (I think that is the default)

    Another check for your system is to run CTIAW:

    ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctiaw.zip

    It runs in a command (MSDOS) window. It will report the
    state of PAT as "(1) Fully Enabled" , if all the conditions
    have been met for PAT. You can also verify the rest of your
    stats.

    For PAT to be enabled, generally it helps to have Performance Mode
    set to Standard, use a CAS2 memory (not sure if CAS3 memory
    will report as PAT enabled), and if using four sticks of memory,
    stick with stock speed (FSB800, DDR400).

    Your performance numbers are far enough off, that perhaps your
    FSB isn't set correctly, or maybe you are using a Mobile
    processor ? A Pentium 4 Mobile processor, no matter what speed
    grade, will start up in a desktop motherboard running at
    1.2GHz FSB400. You have to set the FSB manually to get the
    performance out of it.

    So, the key right now:

    Get a copy of memtest86+ 1.40 and compare to 2955MB/sec

    That is with CAS2 memory in dual channel mode, and a 2.8GHz proc.
    By using memtest86, you'll remove the effects of the OS and
    applications. I run Win2K and have absolutely no protection
    applications (no antivirus, no spyware detection, etc) on this
    computer. (Because it isn't my surf computer and isn't used
    that much.)

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Motherboards