Access is Denied

My HD will not bootup (laptop). I have a new HD but I'd
like to recover my files from the old. From the old HD, I
enter recovery console using administrator. I have an
external HD attached and recovery has recognized it. In my
attempts to copy files to the EXT HD (USB), I get "Access
is Denied". All attempts to change directory (except to
Windows Directory) gives me this message. Attempts to make
directory in the EXT HD also fails. I can copy files from
C:\ to D:\ (EXT HD) as long as the source file is at the
root or in Windows. Any ideas on how to 1) stop getting
Access Denied OR 2) another option to copy the files to
EXT HD?

Chris
3 answers Last reply
More about access denied

    This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
    to which you have been denied access:

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | My HD will not bootup (laptop). I have a new HD but I'd
    | like to recover my files from the old. From the old HD, I
    | enter recovery console using administrator. I have an
    | external HD attached and recovery has recognized it. In my
    | attempts to copy files to the EXT HD (USB), I get "Access
    | is Denied". All attempts to change directory (except to
    | Windows Directory) gives me this message. Attempts to make
    | directory in the EXT HD also fails. I can copy files from
    | C:\ to D:\ (EXT HD) as long as the source file is at the
    | root or in Windows. Any ideas on how to 1) stop getting
    | Access Denied OR 2) another option to copy the files to
    | EXT HD?
    |
    | Chris

    This would work if I could bootup. I tried to change the
    environment variables using SET command but apparently I
    would have had to enable it before going to recovery
    console. Any way to enable the SET command? That might
    allow me access.

    us;308421&Product=winxp

    >--
    >Carey Frisch
    >Microsoft MVP
    >Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    >Be Smart! Protect your PC!
    >http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

    -------------------------

    >"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message:

    >| My HD will not bootup (laptop). I have a new HD but I'd
    >| like to recover my files from the old. From the old HD,
    >| enter recovery console using administrator. I have an
    >| external HD attached and recovery has recognized it. In
    my
    >| attempts to copy files to the EXT HD (USB), I
    get "Access
    >| is Denied". All attempts to change directory (except
    >| Windows Directory) gives me this message. Attempts to
    make
    >| directory in the EXT HD also fails. I can copy files
    from
    >| C:\ to D:\ (EXT HD) as long as the source file is at
    the
    >| root or in Windows. Any ideas on how to 1) stop getting
    >| Access Denied OR 2) another option to copy the files to
    >| EXT HD?
    >|
    >| Chris
    >.

    I found a way - Laptop Hard Drive to Desktop Adapter.
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255_11-5160538.html

HD Recovery Console Windows XP