  • Recovery Console
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 4, 2004 3:02:19 PM

My HD will not bootup (laptop). I have a new HD but I'd
like to recover my files from the old. From the old HD, I
enter recovery console using administrator. I have an
external HD attached and recovery has recognized it. In my
attempts to copy files to the EXT HD (USB), I get "Access
is Denied". All attempts to change directory (except to
Windows Directory) gives me this message. Attempts to make
directory in the EXT HD also fails. I can copy files from
C:\ to D:\ (EXT HD) as long as the source file is at the
root or in Windows. Any ideas on how to 1) stop getting
Access Denied OR 2) another option to copy the files to
EXT HD?

Chris

More about : access denied

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 5:07:52 PM

This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
to which you have been denied access:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| My HD will not bootup (laptop). I have a new HD but I'd
| like to recover my files from the old. From the old HD, I
| enter recovery console using administrator. I have an
| external HD attached and recovery has recognized it. In my
| attempts to copy files to the EXT HD (USB), I get "Access
| is Denied". All attempts to change directory (except to
| Windows Directory) gives me this message. Attempts to make
| directory in the EXT HD also fails. I can copy files from
| C:\ to D:\ (EXT HD) as long as the source file is at the
| root or in Windows. Any ideas on how to 1) stop getting
| Access Denied OR 2) another option to copy the files to
| EXT HD?
|
| Chris
August 4, 2004 5:07:53 PM

This would work if I could bootup. I tried to change the
environment variables using SET command but apparently I
would have had to enable it before going to recovery
console. Any way to enable the SET command? That might
allow me access.

us;308421&Product=winxp

-------------------------

>"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message:

>| My HD will not bootup (laptop). I have a new HD but I'd
>| like to recover my files from the old. From the old HD,
>| enter recovery console using administrator. I have an
>| external HD attached and recovery has recognized it. In
my
>| attempts to copy files to the EXT HD (USB), I
get "Access
>| is Denied". All attempts to change directory (except
>| Windows Directory) gives me this message. Attempts to
make
>| directory in the EXT HD also fails. I can copy files
from
>| C:\ to D:\ (EXT HD) as long as the source file is at
the
>| root or in Windows. Any ideas on how to 1) stop getting
>| Access Denied OR 2) another option to copy the files to
>| EXT HD?
>|
>| Chris
>.

August 4, 2004 5:38:59 PM

I found a way - Laptop Hard Drive to Desktop Adapter.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255_11-5160538.html

-