Q: memory on A8V and A8V-E

I was looking at these boards and the memory configurations. I see clearly
that the A8V-E won't work with all 4 memory slots full of PC3200 but from
the QVL list for the A8V it seems that you can fill all 4 slots if you use
the listed memory. My question is: if you use all 4 slots on the A8V does
the memory drop back to 2700 or still run at 3200? I know on most? S754
KT800 boards this happens when you fill all three slots?
Any info from personal experience would be helpful. I'm trying to decide
which to buy and the only drawback to getting the A8V-E is only being able
to use two slots. If I can use all four slots on the A8V, I'll buy it
instead. I could use all my ram instead of half of it.
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about memory

    nobody out there has one of these with 4 sticks of ram installed?

    In article <2hSPd.31$dZ.26136@news20.bellglobal.com>, "zzipper"
    <zzipper@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > nobody out there has one of these with 4 sticks of ram installed?

    Impact of command rate:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2069&p=8

    Board review of a S939 board - 4 DIMMs at DDR400 at Command Rate 2T
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2285&p=4

    A8V Review - see details at bottom of page
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=5

    Paul

    > "zzipper" <zzipper@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > >I was looking at these boards and the memory configurations. I see clearly
    > >that the A8V-E won't work with all 4 memory slots full of PC3200 but from
    > >the QVL list for the A8V it seems that you can fill all 4 slots if you use
    > >the listed memory. My question is: if you use all 4 slots on the A8V does
    > >the memory drop back to 2700 or still run at 3200? I know on most? S754
    > >KT800 boards this happens when you fill all three slots?
    > > Any info from personal experience would be helpful. I'm trying to decide
    > > which to buy and the only drawback to getting the A8V-E is only being able
    > > to use two slots. If I can use all four slots on the A8V, I'll buy it
    > > instead. I could use all my ram instead of half of it.
    > > Thanks

    Thanks for the help Paul, found exactly what I was looking for in the review
    article :-) That's a review I hadn't read yet, the others I checked made no
    mention of 4 dimm configs, most people are only running 1Gb max, I will need
    2Gb and 1Gb modules are stupidly expensive around here.

    > In article <2hSPd.31$dZ.26136@news20.bellglobal.com>, "zzipper"
    > <zzipper@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> nobody out there has one of these with 4 sticks of ram installed?
    >
    > Impact of command rate:
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2069&p=8
    >
    > Board review of a S939 board - 4 DIMMs at DDR400 at Command Rate 2T
    > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2285&p=4
    >
    > A8V Review - see details at bottom of page
    > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=5
    >
    > Paul
    >

    >> "zzipper" <zzipper@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> >I was looking at these boards and the memory configurations. I see
    >> >clearly
    >> >that the A8V-E won't work with all 4 memory slots full of PC3200 but
    >> >from
    >> >the QVL list for the A8V it seems that you can fill all 4 slots if you
    >> >use
    >> >the listed memory. My question is: if you use all 4 slots on the A8V
    >> >does
    >> >the memory drop back to 2700 or still run at 3200? I know on most? S754
    >> >KT800 boards this happens when you fill all three slots?
    >> > Any info from personal experience would be helpful. I'm trying to
    >> > decide
    >> > which to buy and the only drawback to getting the A8V-E is only being
    >> > able
    >> > to use two slots. If I can use all four slots on the A8V, I'll buy it
    >> > instead. I could use all my ram instead of half of it.
    >> > Thanks

Asus Memory Motherboards