A7N8X-E deluxe problem

Hello All,

I have a very annoying problem. Every once in a while the system just
randomly "freezes" for a second or two. When it occurs everything stops
working for a moment. When I'm typing for example the typed letters won't
appear until after a few seconds all at the same time, and the mouse doesn't
respond either. It may not happen at all for half an hour and then again it
may occur a few times in a row. The temperature doesn't seem to be the cause
because that reads stable and it also occurs when nothing else happens (not
using the system) A slower CPU speed setting in BIOS didn't have any effect.
I also noticed that Windows Taskmanager shows a temporary spike (100%) in
the CPU usage indicator during the occurence.
Can someone please help me what to do about it? I'm out of ideas what to
try. Thanks in advance!

System;
Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Asus V9520 Magic graphics card
512 MB RAM
Maxtor 6Y160P0 Harddisk
Windows XP pro SP2
4 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe problem

    Check your event log and see if there are any disk errors.

    Ron wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >I have a very annoying problem. Every once in a while the system just
    >randomly "freezes" for a second or two. When it occurs everything stops
    >working for a moment. When I'm typing for example the typed letters won't
    >appear until after a few seconds all at the same time, and the mouse doesn't
    >respond either. It may not happen at all for half an hour and then again it
    >may occur a few times in a row. The temperature doesn't seem to be the cause
    >because that reads stable and it also occurs when nothing else happens (not
    >using the system) A slower CPU speed setting in BIOS didn't have any effect.
    >I also noticed that Windows Taskmanager shows a temporary spike (100%) in
    >the CPU usage indicator during the occurence.
    >Can someone please help me what to do about it? I'm out of ideas what to
    >try. Thanks in advance!
    >
    >System;
    >Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
    >AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    >Asus V9520 Magic graphics card
    >512 MB RAM
    >Maxtor 6Y160P0 Harddisk
    >Windows XP pro SP2

    Ron,
    I had a similar problem once and went nuts for a week looking for the
    cause. After removing all I could from my system and installing a fresh
    copy of WinXP and nothing else, the problem was still there. Ended up
    that the internals of an optical mouse were going bad. Just a guess,
    the list can be long for that symptom. Wish you better luck than I
    had! Have you installed anything lately to where you could restore to
    an earlier date?
    Rob

    Thanks for the suggestions Rob and SpaceAce,
    The cordless mouse and keyboard have been swapped for cord types to no
    avail. There seem to be no disk errors either. I will try to find out
    whether it is a software or hardware problem the coming time.
    Again thanks!

    "Ron" <no_spam> schreef in bericht
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have a very annoying problem. Every once in a while the system just
    > randomly "freezes" for a second or two. When it occurs everything stops
    > working for a moment. When I'm typing for example the typed letters won't
    > appear until after a few seconds all at the same time, and the mouse
    > doesn't respond either. It may not happen at all for half an hour and then
    > again it may occur a few times in a row. The temperature doesn't seem to
    > be the cause because that reads stable and it also occurs when nothing
    > else happens (not using the system) A slower CPU speed setting in BIOS
    > didn't have any effect. I also noticed that Windows Taskmanager shows a
    > temporary spike (100%) in the CPU usage indicator during the occurence.
    > Can someone please help me what to do about it? I'm out of ideas what to
    > try. Thanks in advance!
    >
    > System;
    > Asus A7N8X-E deluxe
    > AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    > Asus V9520 Magic graphics card
    > 512 MB RAM
    > Maxtor 6Y160P0 Harddisk
    > Windows XP pro SP2

    Dear Ron!

    I have to say it is not a motherboard problem. I am using the very old
    computer (3.5 years old), and bought new HDD in November. And for a
    week now, a have been experiencing the same problem. I have nothing
    else in common to your configuration, not even Windows (I am using
    Win2000), but for the HDD, which is also Maxtor 6Y160P0. So a simple
    reasoning says that the problem is HDD!

    So, my problems were:
    *) while booting Win2000, it intensively reads HDD for a while (with a
    loud sound)
    *) freezing - the same as you described - was really oft
    *) when Windows was starting, it asked several times for consistency
    check (after normal restart!) and found a lot errors (they were of
    two types: 1) Windows created directory FOUND.xxx, and there were
    loads of files, 2) it converted some folders to files, so the data
    was lost)
    *) in Windows, I discovered that lot of files and folders were damaged
    (filenames were random symbols), so the data was lost again.

    And I tried out:
    *) first of all, I backed-up the important data ASAP
    *) I started my second operating system, Win98, and there I also
    experienced one freeze, so I realised that it was not the OS fault
    *) as I have 5 partitions of the HDD, I formatted the first one and
    reinstalled Windows. Then I formatted all the other partitions too.
    The results were not very nice: I still had first two problems
    described above, though not the last two. Freezing became really rare
    - it was just for 3 times yesterday, for example.
    *) I downloaded Maxtor's PowerMax utility and run all the tests
    possible (advanced test took an hour to complete) - they all said
    it's allright.
    *) I typed "Maxtor 6Y160P0 problem" and found this post of you, Ron.

    Don't know what to do know, I guess I'll just have to bring the HDD
    back to th store...

Asus Motherboards