My cdr all of a sudden is missing both in my computer and device manager.The
light for the cdr drive blinks continually. Tried opening door with paper
clip to no avail. Any suggestions on how to open the door or restore the
drive?

Take a look at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
Select C and scroll to Cdrom drive
missing from MyComputer.
"R Keslar" <cooldisk67@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My cdr all of a sudden is missing both in my computer and device
manager.The
> light for the cdr drive blinks continually. Tried opening door with paper
> clip to no avail. Any suggestions on how to open the door or restore the
> drive?

Restore Missing CD Drive
http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

[[The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device
Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and
Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This
patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third
party package still required will then have to be re-installed. ]]
http://aumha.org/reg3.htm

[[For more information on this and other possible causes, see the “Problems”
section of Alex Nichol’s Burning CDs in Windows XP article.]]
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Burning CDs in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.