P2B-S & Fast Write (BIOS)?

I cannot locate the option "Fast Write" at the bios (1014-003) of my old
P2B-S. Is it possible to enable/disable this option anywhere?

M.

(please excuse my bad english)

Paul

Splendid

In article <cup0os$968$02$1@news.t-online.com>, "Markus Lesch"
<lesch.markus@gmx.net> wrote:

> I cannot locate the option "Fast Write" at the bios (1014-003) of my old
> P2B-S. Is it possible to enable/disable this option anywhere?
>
> M.
>
> (please excuse my bad english)

The 440BX is AGP 1.0 compliant. I cannot see any mention of
Fast Write in here:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29063301.pdf

The AGP 1.0 spec makes no mention of Fast Write.
AGP 2.0 has a section on Fast Write.

Intel no longer provides the AGP standards for download, so
to find copies means relying on other archival copies.

http://www.udayton.edu/~cps/cps460/notes/hardware/agp/agp10.pdf
http://ftp.cizgi.com.tr/info/agp20.pdf (not sure it is still here)
http://web.archive.org/web/20030314013601/http://developer.intel.com/technology/agp/downloads/agp30_final_10.pdf

My guess is, it isn't in the BIOS, because there is no
hardware support in the Northbridge for the function.
That means it is permanently disabled.

If you are having problems with AGP stability, remember that
the AGP bus frequency is determined by a divider. The divider
either operates 1/1 (good for FSB 66MHz), or 2/3rds (good
for FSB 100MHz). The P2B-S will likely not run 133Mhz due to the
clock generator, but if it did, then 133*(2/3)=89MHz for AGP. The
most recent high-powered AGP cards don't like anything higher
than 75MHz, but there are many older cards that are quite happy
at 89MHz or even 100MHz (i.e. when a 440BX board is run with
a FSB of 150Mhz and divider 2/3).

So, if you are having stability problems, check your AGP divider
setting.

Paul

Markus Lesch wrote:
> I cannot locate the option "Fast Write" at the bios (1014-003) of my old
> P2B-S. Is it possible to enable/disable this option anywhere?
>
> M.
>
> (please excuse my bad english)

That board doesn't support AGP fast writes, it will always be off.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada