A7N8X-E Deluxe

Just installed this mobo. Using an AMD Athlon 3200+ 400fsb. Two sticks of
Kingston PC 3200/400 512. Could not install windows. I got the BSOD
everytime setup tried to reboot. Ran memtest86 And got all kinds of errors.
Yanked one of the sticks of ram and everything worked perfectly. The mobo
box lists DDR 400 as supported but not the ASUS web site. Had the sticks
installed in dimm A1 & dimm B1. Hard to believe that I just happened to pull
the bad stick out. Has anyone had a problem with 400 ram in this board?
Rudy
1 answer Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe

    In article <TJGdnYCe8LfvpI3fRVnytg@comcast.com>, "Rudy Kazuti"
    <rudykube@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Just installed this mobo. Using an AMD Athlon 3200+ 400fsb. Two sticks of
    > Kingston PC 3200/400 512. Could not install windows. I got the BSOD
    > everytime setup tried to reboot. Ran memtest86 And got all kinds of errors.
    > Yanked one of the sticks of ram and everything worked perfectly. The mobo
    > box lists DDR 400 as supported but not the ASUS web site. Had the sticks
    > installed in dimm A1 & dimm B1. Hard to believe that I just happened to pull
    > the bad stick out. Has anyone had a problem with 400 ram in this board?
    > Rudy

    Test the sticks one at a time. My guess is they will both test OK.

    The Nforce2 is picky about RAM. There is one person who posted
    here recently, who claimed only Asus NForce2 boards are like
    that, but I suspect you'll find any brand will do this. It is
    just too difficult to collect enough data on Nforcershq.com
    forums to prove it.

    Things to try:

    0) Bump up Vdimm, as DDR400 needs >2.6 volts.
    1) One stick, single channel, could run at DDR400.
    2) Two sticks, single channel, could run in A1 & A2.
    Give that a try with memtest86. You get less memory
    bandwidth. May or may not be entirely error free. Test
    with Prime95 (mersenne.org) torture test to be sure.
    3) Two sticks, dual channel, A1 & B1, could run at 180MHz
    (FSB360, DDR360). Maybe even 185Mhz. If your processor is
    not multiplier locked, you can bump down the FSB and
    bump up the multiplier. 185*12 = 2220MHz, or roughly
    equiv to a 3200+ . I use an AthlonXP-M as the mobile
    chip has an unlocked multiplier (available from newegg.com
    in the States, or ncix.com in Canada).
    4) Two sticks, dual channel, A1 & B1, could run at 200MHz
    by using "Trats BIOS" 2T Command Rate version. Using
    2T Command rate instead of 1T Command rate, is easier
    on the chip interface. But, it also reduces the memory
    bandwidth, so isn't a very good solution. Trats BIOS
    are available on nforcershq.com (I'm using the 1T
    version right now myself, although the Asus BIOS is
    1T by default, so if you want Command Rate 1T, the
    standard BIOS does that.) Installing a hacked BIOS is
    good if you want 200MHz and don't have a way to
    change the multiplier. Too bad Command Rate is not
    an option in the BIOS, as it should be.
    5) Get two sticks of CAS2 memory. There are about six
    brands using Samsung TCCD, but now that Samsung is phasing
    it out (in favor of making DDR2 memory), apparently only
    Corsair will have a decent supply. I am using two sticks
    of Crucial Ballistix PC3200 CAS2 memory, and it uses Micron
    chips. Perhaps we'll see more CAS2 memory makers switch
    to Micron, if it is possible to get the appropriate chips
    from Micron. In any case, I expect you'll find a CAS2
    memory solves your problems. It just costs a lot more.

    Note: Options 2,3,4 above cause about the same amount of
    bandwidth reduction, so the only way to succeed, is find
    some better memory. It is always possible that some CAS3
    rated memory will work, as if the chips are actually the
    same silicon as the CAS2 chips are made of, they may have
    the "right stuff". But buying CAS2 memory is the right
    solution if you want this fixed quickly, with fewest
    memory swaps with your memory vendor.

    By the way, if anyone reading this is using CAS3 memory
    at DDR400 without problems, please post your brand/model
    of memory, so it can be recommended as a solution in the
    future :-) I think someone got some Crucial CAS3 to work,
    but we need more confirmations of that. Many of the posts
    on Nforcershq aren't running at FSB400/DDR400/Dual channel,
    so the posted stories are worthless for figuring out what
    to buy. You must test with both memtest86 and Prime95, to
    be able to claim "it works". Being able to boot Windows
    does not constitute a good enough test. Many people who
    claim their memory "works", have never really tested it.

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Motherboards