C drive displays as CD-ROM drive

matt

I'm servicing a customer's Sony laptop running XP Home
OEM. The hard drive has two partitions. In Windows
Explorer, the C: partition displays as a CD-ROM with icon
and all. Clicking the drive to open doesn't do anything.
However, clicking the D: partition opens it as it should.
Right-clicking the C: partition shows AutoPlay as the
default action. Clicking Open from this menu works
correctly and displays the drive's contents. Any
suggestions?

TIA,

Matt

Two thoughts. First, make sure that the C:\ drive isn't the CD-ROM drive
that has had it's drive letter reassigned. I doubt this is the case
though. What you really want to look for is a file called autorun.inf in
the C:\ directory. This is what I feel is causing it to act like a CD-ROM.

----
Nathan McNulty

Matt wrote:
> I'm servicing a customer's Sony laptop running XP Home
> OEM. The hard drive has two partitions. In Windows
> Explorer, the C: partition displays as a CD-ROM with icon
> and all. Clicking the drive to open doesn't do anything.
> However, clicking the D: partition opens it as it should.
> Right-clicking the C: partition shows AutoPlay as the
> default action. Clicking Open from this menu works
> correctly and displays the drive's contents. Any
> suggestions?
>
> TIA,
>
> Matt

>What you really want to look for is a file called
autorun.inf in
>the C:\ directory. This is what I feel is causing it to
act like a CD-ROM.

BRILLIANT!

Sure enough, deleted autorun, rebooted and it now behaves
as normal. A sincere Thank You, Nathan.

Matt

Not a problem :)

I used to use that to show custom icons back in the Windows 98 days :)

----
Nathan McNulty