C drive displays as CD-ROM drive

I'm servicing a customer's Sony laptop running XP Home
OEM. The hard drive has two partitions. In Windows
Explorer, the C: partition displays as a CD-ROM with icon
and all. Clicking the drive to open doesn't do anything.
However, clicking the D: partition opens it as it should.
Right-clicking the C: partition shows AutoPlay as the
default action. Clicking Open from this menu works
correctly and displays the drive's contents. Any
suggestions?

TIA,

Matt
3 answers Last reply
More about drive displays drive

    Two thoughts. First, make sure that the C:\ drive isn't the CD-ROM drive
    that has had it's drive letter reassigned. I doubt this is the case
    though. What you really want to look for is a file called autorun.inf in
    the C:\ directory. This is what I feel is causing it to act like a CD-ROM.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Matt wrote:
    > I'm servicing a customer's Sony laptop running XP Home
    > OEM. The hard drive has two partitions. In Windows
    > Explorer, the C: partition displays as a CD-ROM with icon
    > and all. Clicking the drive to open doesn't do anything.
    > However, clicking the D: partition opens it as it should.
    > Right-clicking the C: partition shows AutoPlay as the
    > default action. Clicking Open from this menu works
    > correctly and displays the drive's contents. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Matt

    >What you really want to look for is a file called
    autorun.inf in
    >the C:\ directory. This is what I feel is causing it to
    act like a CD-ROM.

    BRILLIANT!

    Sure enough, deleted autorun, rebooted and it now behaves
    as normal. A sincere Thank You, Nathan.

    Matt

    Not a problem :)

    I used to use that to show custom icons back in the Windows 98 days :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    >>What you really want to look for is a file called
    >
    > autorun.inf in
    >
    >>the C:\ directory. This is what I feel is causing it to
    >
    > act like a CD-ROM.
    >
    > BRILLIANT!
    >
    > Sure enough, deleted autorun, rebooted and it now behaves
    > as normal. A sincere Thank You, Nathan.
    >
    > Matt

Partition Displays Windows XP