Won't Get Valid IP

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
I have an Intel AP, with an Intel wireless PCI NIC. The AP is set to assign IP's via DHCP. The computer sees the wireless network, but won't get a valid IP address. I keep getting 169.xx.xx.xx. I thought that it might be an AP problem, so I installed wired NIC, that won't get IP address from known good router...(I had 2 other machines getting IP's just fine). It is windows XP home, and no firewall installed. I know that there is a way to edit the registry w/ Windows 9x with the winsock2 etc when this occurs, but not sure if that will work in XP. If anybody has an idea that would be GREAT!!! Thanks

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what happens when you do ipconfig/release then ipconfig /renew with the physical connection? Are you sure you're looking at the right NIC? (both could be dumb questions but you have to start somewhere)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
With either connection, wired or wireless, in windows I get the "Following operations were not completed: Renewing IP address". From command prompt, I get the "trying to perform operation on something that is not a socket." Yeah, I am looking at right connection. I have checked all of the "simple" things like that. I am sure that it has something to do with the winsock, because of the socket message, but not sure how to edit/change in XP. Thanks.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
defintely re-install TCP/IP protocol. That should hopefulyl fix your problem. The error message you're getting indicates software not hardware.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
oh, I noticed it's XP. <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q299357" target="_new">here</A> are the instructions on how to do it with XP.

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
Thanks for the link. I looked all over (well apparently not all over or else I would have found it) but searched the KB, I will try this out and post if it was successful. Thanks a bunch!

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
Well, the refresh did not do the trick. It said that it repaired several things...not sure exactly what though. Do you think that an XP re-install/repair would work??? Just a thought. Any other advice would be great. Thanks.

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
Yeah, at command prompt, do ipconfig /renew, get "operation was attempted on something that is not a socket" I did a repair on xp, and still got the same error w/ the wireless, haven't had a chance to put a wired nic back in yet. Very strange...anyhow thanks for the help, any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316522" target="_new">Here</A> is an MS KB article that you might want to look at.

Also take a look <A HREF="http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6100/rh6124.htm" target="_new">here</A> at this JSI FAQ. I know it's not the same error message but it's interesting nonetheless.

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
Yeah, I saw that KB article about the McAfee, but I never had anything McAfee installed. That FAQ page is interesting. I tried all of that to no avail. ARGH!!! Format C: is looking pretty good right now. I could have done that a week ago and been through this problem, oh well. I will let you know what I decide to do.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
yeah, keep us informed. If it still doesn't fix the problem at least you have a nice clean base system to proceed with your debugging quest.

andy655321

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2002
GOT IT WORKING!!!! Took winsock2 from working xp box, merged it into the registry of this one and here I am, UP on the internet. DAMN the winsock2!! Anyhow, didn't have to format, and I am up. So, if you ever see this posted again, export the winsock2 from a working box and merge. Thanks for the help.
andy