Can not burn CDR anymore - Insert empty disc problem

August 5, 2004 9:04:20 AM

Hello,

For some days now, I can not burn CDRs. The problem is
that any software I use is telling me to insert an empty
disc even if there is one in the drive. Eject and retry
does not help
The drive is a DVR-RW drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N)
on an Acer Ferrari 3000 Laptop.
By searching on the web, it seems it is a LG Drive.
Firmware are up to date (I didn't change anything).
I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1a with all critical updates.

I tested it with Nero 6.3.1.7, blindwrite but in fact it
seems to be a windows problem as in the explorer the new
disc is also not recognised.

I searched fro solutions on the web and could find a lot
of people with the same problem (not necessary with the
same drive) but without solutions.

I already tried to enable/disable the "Enable CD
recording on this drive" (Recording tab of the Drive
properties) and it did not help.
I also checked that I have the latest ASPI drivers.

Now, the wired thing. Sometimes, but only sometimes,
after a reboot and a quite long time before starting
again the machine (some hours), then I can burn ONE CDR,
but only ONE. This is burned correctly without errors.

I forget to mention that I can burn DVD (+ and -) and CD-
RW without problem.

Hope somebody can help me on this one

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions/solutions

Didier
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:29:10 PM

Could try reading this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;324129

Sounds really odd. It sounds like the drive is just failing to read the
beginning of the disk to find out what type it is, yet it works for
everything else.

----
Nathan McNulty

Didier Eychenne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For some days now, I can not burn CDRs. The problem is
> that any software I use is telling me to insert an empty
> disc even if there is one in the drive. Eject and retry
> does not help
> The drive is a DVR-RW drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N)
> on an Acer Ferrari 3000 Laptop.
> By searching on the web, it seems it is a LG Drive.
> Firmware are up to date (I didn't change anything).
> I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1a with all critical updates.
>
> I tested it with Nero 6.3.1.7, blindwrite but in fact it
> seems to be a windows problem as in the explorer the new
> disc is also not recognised.
>
> I searched fro solutions on the web and could find a lot
> of people with the same problem (not necessary with the
> same drive) but without solutions.
>
> I already tried to enable/disable the "Enable CD
> recording on this drive" (Recording tab of the Drive
> properties) and it did not help.
> I also checked that I have the latest ASPI drivers.
>
> Now, the wired thing. Sometimes, but only sometimes,
> after a reboot and a quite long time before starting
> again the machine (some hours), then I can burn ONE CDR,
> but only ONE. This is burned correctly without errors.
>
> I forget to mention that I can burn DVD (+ and -) and CD-
> RW without problem.
>
> Hope somebody can help me on this one
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions/solutions
>
> Didier
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 5:58:48 AM

Thank you for your help Nathan but I tried these
suggestions already.

I'll continue searching on the web for a solution

Didier

August 9, 2004 7:54:22 AM

An acceptable approach to this is if you can't find a fix is to do a
repair installation. If that doesn't help, you can always try a clean
install of XP. Just make sure to backup all of your data before doing
either (especially the latter).

To Repair:
Boot off the XP CD, choose Install, it will find the existing
installation of XP and offer to repair it, press R to repair, and it
will do everything from there.

To Clean Install:
Boot off the XP CD, choose Install, format the drive (this will erase
all of your data and NTFS (Quick) is suggested), then install XP. This
will require all your programs be reinstalled :(

----
Nathan McNulty

Didier Eychenne wrote:
> Thank you for your help Nathan but I tried these
> suggestions already.
>
> I'll continue searching on the web for a solution
>
> Didier

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:17:26 PM

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 05:04:20 -0700, "Didier Eychenne"
<bill_gates0@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>For some days now, I can not burn CDRs.

Anything change recently?...any software installs?...software
updates?...new virus definitions?...and Norton stuff?...changed brands
of cd's? Try a new, better brand of cd's. And make sure the cd isn't
put in upside down (happens a lot on non-printed cd's).

>The problem is
>that any software I use is telling me to insert an empty
>disc even if there is one in the drive. Eject and retry
>does not help

Can you read cd's okay?...both retail and burned?

>The drive is a DVR-RW drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N)
>on an Acer Ferrari 3000 Laptop.
>By searching on the web, it seems it is a LG Drive.
>Firmware are up to date (I didn't change anything).
>I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1a with all critical updates.

Maybe the drive is just dirty...or goin' bad. Getting some good
quality cd's may help.

>I tested it with Nero 6.3.1.7, blindwrite but in fact it
>seems to be a windows problem as in the explorer the new
>disc is also not recognised.

Is the drive itself recognized in explorer?

>I searched fro solutions on the web and could find a lot
>of people with the same problem (not necessary with the
>same drive) but without solutions.

>I already tried to enable/disable the "Enable CD
>recording on this drive" (Recording tab of the Drive
>properties) and it did not help.
>I also checked that I have the latest ASPI drivers.
>
>Now, the wired thing. Sometimes, but only sometimes,
>after a reboot and a quite long time before starting
>again the machine (some hours), then I can burn ONE CDR,
>but only ONE. This is burned correctly without errors.

With what program?

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 10:26:35 AM

Hello, Thanks both of you for your suggestions.

See after my comments to your questions

The only things that helped a little bit was to deinstall
the drive (in windows not physically) and reinstall it.
Now I can always burn ONE CD after reboot, but still only
one.

Didier

no new installation, virus definitions, yes, of course
(everyday ?!?)
I tried with several cds with the same result. Verbatim,
TDK, Maxell, and noname cds. Same result.
Again. I can burn one CD only, after nothing, I need to
reboot and sometimes it works again.
Remember that I can burn CR-RW, DVD without problem
Playing CDs, DVDs always works
It is only that a blank CD is not recognize to start to
burn (And yes I did not try to put more then 700 MB if it
is a 700 MB CDR...saw this as suggestion in some post
here related to the same problem (Re: sony cd-rw quit
working for no apparent reason))

>>The problem is
>>that any software I use is telling me to insert an
empty
>>disc even if there is one in the drive. Eject and retry
>>does not help
>
>Can you read cd's okay?...both retail and burned?

yes, dvds also

>>The drive is a DVR-RW drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040N)
>>on an Acer Ferrari 3000 Laptop.
>>By searching on the web, it seems it is a LG Drive.
>>Firmware are up to date (I didn't change anything).
>>I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1a with all critical updates.
>
>Maybe the drive is just dirty...or goin' bad. Getting
some good
>quality cd's may help.

verbatim is a quality cd I hope. I will try to clena the
drive but this does not explain why I can burn CD-RW or
DVDs

>>I tested it with Nero 6.3.1.7, blindwrite but in fact
it
>>seems to be a windows problem as in the explorer the
new
>>disc is also not recognised.
>
>Is the drive itself recognized in explorer?

Yes

>>I searched fro solutions on the web and could find a
lot
>>of people with the same problem (not necessary with the
>>same drive) but without solutions.
>
>>I already tried to enable/disable the "Enable CD
>>recording on this drive" (Recording tab of the Drive
>>properties) and it did not help.
>>I also checked that I have the latest ASPI drivers.
>>
>>Now, the wired thing. Sometimes, but only sometimes,
>>after a reboot and a quite long time before starting
>>again the machine (some hours), then I can burn ONE
CDR,
>>but only ONE. This is burned correctly without errors.
>
>With what program?

All of them, Nero 6.3.1.7, Blinwrite,

!