Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I am upgrading a machine to XP, have two HDD, C: & D:
(IDE primary controller) & two CD drives (IDE secondary
controller). The BIOS sees all 4 but XP finds only C:
and the 2 CD drives. Device Mgr shows both HDD and says
they are working properly, but windows explorer does not
show them, nor does DOS commands in cmd prompt. The only
other thing that may be significant is that it was OK
before I reformated the C: drive and installed XP Pro.
Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I can't help, but I am having the exact same issue. Except my drive was working, and I didn't change anything. When I went to login last week, the D drive was no longer there.

See my post, Can't access WD1200 Storage drive. This is getting interesting

"Dave" wrote:

> I am upgrading a machine to XP, have two HDD, C: & D:
> (IDE primary controller) & two CD drives (IDE secondary
> controller). The BIOS sees all 4 but XP finds only C:
> and the 2 CD drives. Device Mgr shows both HDD and says
> they are working properly, but windows explorer does not
> show them, nor does DOS commands in cmd prompt. The only
> other thing that may be significant is that it was OK
> before I reformated the C: drive and installed XP Pro.
> Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Dave

Try removing the drives (all of them) from Device Manager and reboot.
Click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Now find and remove all
of the drives and reboot. See if that fixes it.

----
Nathan McNulty

Alfred_63 wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I can't help, but I am having the exact same issue. Except my drive was working, and I didn't change anything. When I went to login last week, the D drive was no longer there.
>
> See my post, Can't access WD1200 Storage drive. This is getting interesting
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>

>> I am upgrading a machine to XP, have two HDD, C: & D:
>>(IDE primary controller) & two CD drives (IDE secondary
>>controller). The BIOS sees all 4 but XP finds only C:
>>and the 2 CD drives. Device Mgr shows both HDD and says
>>they are working properly, but windows explorer does not
>>show them, nor does DOS commands in cmd prompt. The only
>>other thing that may be significant is that it was OK
>>before I reformated the C: drive and installed XP Pro.
>> Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Dave

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi Dave;
Sounds like you did what I did long ago. I formatted my C: drive to NTFS,
but my D: drive was still FAT32. Windows will only 'see' the system that the
drive it's loaded on is. Whatever system your C: drive is, you need to make
the D: drive the same. Nothing is wrong with it, and no data is
lost...Windows just can't see it. It's been a while, but I remember that the
drive can be converted without reformatting and losing all your data. I
think it's an option on the XP disk, but I'm not absolutely sure. I'm sure
someone else would know how you do it.

Steve