john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hello, I am trying to install a new cd drive, for some
reason the old one just quit. My computer is a Compaq
Presario 7470, running windows xp, with a AMD-k6 3d
processor, 533MHz, and 184MB RAM. After I go to add
hardware, it searchs, and finds the device. When I click
on it it gives me an error that says "windows
successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware,
but cannot find the hardware device(code 41)" I can't
connect to the internet from that computer due to other
issues. Any help to find out what this "code 41" is.
Thanks a lot.

It actually sounds more like the drive that is missing is your network
adapter's drivers and the CD Drive just may not be showing up in My
Computer. Do you see your CD Drive anywhere else? What network card are
you using and have you installed the latest drivers (or any) for that
device?

----
Nathan McNulty

John wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to install a new cd drive, for some
> reason the old one just quit. My computer is a Compaq
> Presario 7470, running windows xp, with a AMD-k6 3d
> processor, 533MHz, and 184MB RAM. After I go to add
> hardware, it searchs, and finds the device. When I click
> on it it gives me an error that says "windows
> successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware,
> but cannot find the hardware device(code 41)" I can't
> connect to the internet from that computer due to other
> issues. Any help to find out what this "code 41" is.
> Thanks a lot.

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -