A7n8x-x and Sil 0680 ide controller

Hi guys,
i've got a problem with my mobo A7N8X-X and a IDE-Controller whit 0680
Silicon Image Chip.
The controller is working, i've just tested it on another pc, but i'm not
able to make it work on my mobo.
When the 0680 is plugged-in the boot process is stopped in a black screen.

I Think i've something to tune by bios but i don't know what.

Someone can help me?

Thanks a lot.
10 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x 0680 controller

    "Puz740" wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > i've got a problem with my mobo A7N8X-X and a IDE-Controller
    > whit 0680
    > Silicon Image Chip.
    > The controller is working, i've just tested it on another pc,
    > but i'm not
    > able to make it work on my mobo.
    > When the 0680 is plugged-in the boot process is stopped in a
    > black screen.
    >
    > I Think i've something to tune by bios but i don't know what.
    >
    > Someone can help me?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Hi,
    I have the same MB and a ST Lab "PCI ATA 133 IDE CARD" and I have
    the same problem but no solution.

    The ST lab card has a Sil 0680 chip. Bios 3.2.10

    Puz 740, please inform us if you find a solution.

    Thanks!

    My boot screen as far as it goes:
    Sil 0680/133 Controller BIOS Version 3.2.10
    Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.

    Sil 3112A SATARaid Bios Bersion 4.2.27
    Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.

    Press <Ctrl-S> or F4 to enter RAID utility
    No reaction on any key pressed....

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A7n8x-Sil-0680-ide-controller-ftopict48689.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=239869

    > Puz 740, please inform us if you find a solution.

    I really hope to find it.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > My boot screen as far as it goes:
    > Sil 0680/133 Controller BIOS Version 3.2.10
    > Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.
    >

    > Sil 3112A SATARaid Bios Bersion 4.2.27
    > Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.
    >
    > Press <Ctrl-S> or F4 to enter RAID utility
    > No reaction on any key pressed....

    Yes, sir, i've got the same messagge.

    If anyone knows something about this problem, please, let us know.

    Thanks

    "Puz740" wrote:
    > > Puz 740, please inform us if you find a solution.
    >
    > I really hope to find it.
    >

    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > My boot screen as far as it goes:

    > ---
    > > Sil 0680/133 Controller BIOS Version 3.2.10
    > > Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.
    > >

    > > Sil 3112A SATARaid Bios Bersion 4.2.27
    > > Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.
    > >
    > > Press <Ctrl-S> or F4 to enter RAID utility

    > ---
    > > No reaction on any key pressed....
    >
    > Yes, sir, i've got the same messagge.
    >
    > If anyone knows something about this problem, please, let us
    > know.
    >
    > Thanks

    The problem isn’t only with A7N8X. Sil 3112A doesn’t like to be in the
    same system as a Sil 0680. That’s strange because it’s the same
    manufacturer "Silicon Image". I mailed Silicon Image and STlabs. We
    will see if they answer.

    I tried to move the card between different pci slots.
    I turned of USB in bios (did get a extra line with the text "Press
    F3" to enter bios" or something like that but nothing happened when
    you press F3).
    I disabled SATA with the jumper on the MB (No boot...)
    Nothing works.

    I will try a friends HighPoint card on Sunday (I hope). If it works
    then I probably buy one.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A7n8x-Sil-0680-ide-controller-ftopict48689.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=240736

    > The problem isn't only with A7N8X. Sil 3112A...

    [cut]

    Calm down kdk_warhead and never give up!!!

    Maybe i found something interesting!

    Have a look to this link:
    http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=15712

    I tried and... it live! I hope it works for you as well.

    My problem now is how can i configure it to use the controller as non-raid
    system? (i need just another couple of IDE channels)
    Can you help me?

    Bye

    kdk_warhead wrote:

    sorry for the different nick... i wrote the previous message from another
    pc-station...

    > I will try a friends HighPoint card on Sunday (I hope). If it works
    > then I probably buy one.

    Don't do that!

    Everything work now! Please, read the link i put in the message above and
    everything gonna be ok!
    If you want to use the Sil 0680 as a RAID controller you have to do what the
    link say and try to configure for your necessity.
    If you wanto to use it as simple IDE controller (my goal) you need to flash
    the BIOS with the right bios version (www.siliconimage.com) and that's it.

    I hope i was able to help in some sort of way.

    Cheers
    Andrea

    "Puz740" wrote:
    > > I will try a friends HighPoint card on Sunday (I hope). If
    > it works
    > > then I probably buy one.
    >
    > Don't do that!
    >
    > Everything work now! Please, read the link i put in the
    > message above and
    > everything gonna be ok!
    > If you want to use the Sil 0680 as a RAID controller you have
    > to do what the
    > link say and try to configure for your necessity.
    > If you wanto to use it as simple IDE controller (my goal) you
    > need to flash
    > the BIOS with the right bios version (www.siliconimage.com)
    > and that's it.
    >
    > I hope i was able to help in some sort of way.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andrea

    Hi Puz740,
    I’m a little short of time today so I can’t test anything soon. But
    what did you do? They talk about reflashing the Bios with the same
    bios version form Sil homepage and the talk about using new HD and
    they also talk about putting the card in another computer so that the
    F3 button works.

    What did you do?

    My version is supposed to be without raid which is fine because I’m
    planning to use software raid-5 (Windows XP without hardware support,
    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041119/index.html).

    I did use some what outdated hard drives when I tested the card
    (1.2GB...).

    Thank you for the help so far.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A7n8x-Sil-0680-ide-controller-ftopict48689.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=241417

    > What did you do?

    I'll try to explane you what i did.
    Ok, the first time i tried to use the controller the display said:
    *****
    Sil 0680/133 Controller BIOS Version 3.2.10
    Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.

    Press F3 to enter RAID utility
    ***
    and no reaction on any key pressed and no boot more.

    i simple use an HD disk setting as master, with a sys op installed, on the
    primary IDE channel and another HD as slave on the same IDE channel.

    Now i was able to enter into the bios pressing F3 during the boot.
    After that ( i was looking for a simple IDE controller) i flashed the bios
    with a non-raid version, and now everything goes ok!

    That's it.

    I hope it's work for you as well.

    Cheers
    Andrea

    "Puz740" wrote:
    > > What did you do?
    >
    > I'll try to explane you what i did.
    > Ok, the first time i tried to use the controller the display
    > said:
    > *****
    > Sil 0680/133 Controller BIOS Version 3.2.10
    > Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Silicon Image, Inc.
    >
    > Press F3 to enter RAID utility
    > ***
    > and no reaction on any key pressed and no boot more.
    >
    > i simple use an HD disk setting as master, with a sys op
    > installed, on the
    > primary IDE channel and another HD as slave on the same IDE
    > channel.
    >
    > Now i was able to enter into the bios pressing F3 during the
    > boot.
    > After that ( i was looking for a simple IDE controller) i
    > flashed the bios
    > with a non-raid version, and now everything goes ok!
    >
    > That's it.
    >
    > I hope it's work for you as well.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andrea

    Hi Puz,

    I connected 2 hds as you did and then the F3 button worked finaly. But
    things messed up anyway. I turened out that my card has a AT27C010
    chip on it. It isn’t possible to flash that chip according to this:

    "SO, I got out my magnifying glass, and found that the EPROMchip is a
    27xxx series device, which means that it is NOT a flash-able device,
    rather a OTP (one-time-programmable) device meant for OEMs."

    So i will putt this card where it belongs (in the trashcan) and I will
    stay away from anything that as a silicon image chip in it (if
    they can’t get a simple ide card to work then i cant trust them with
    anything...).

    I buy a HighPoint card instead.

    Thank you very much for the help anyway!

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-A7n8x-Sil-0680-ide-controller-ftopict48689.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=241969
  10. Hey i got the same problem i have a A7v8x-x with ATA-133 SIL060 Raid controller .I flashed the board with 1014-002 zip i got from asus site and it didn't help F3 didnt work eather.i tryed everthing nothing helped.i started sticking it in difrent PCI slots,Inoticed the card was very hard to install in all the PCI slots so i unscrew the board and moved the board as far to the front as i could get it.tightend the screws back up the IDE card went in good and easy booted it up F3 worked instoled the drivers and it works great. I never thought the whole time it was never installed right but that what it was.

Asus Controller Motherboards