Subject: Re: USB drives not showing up in Windows
Explorer
From: "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> Sent: 8/2/2004
2:05:10 AM

Check Removable Storage under Computer Management (Right
click on My Computer and Click Manage). Try removing them
from Device Manager (Click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc
and click OK). Then try this: Open regedit and navigate
to HKLM-System-CCS-Enum-USB

Now find your USB Flash drive and delete the Vid_Xxxx
folder that it exists under. Now reboot after you have
done this and see if that fixes anything.
Nathan McNulty

I have the same type problem. I opened regedit, found the
folders, but Windows won't let me delete the folder. It
says "Cannot delete; error while deleting key". Do you
have any idea why it won't delete.
Harry

Perhaps because the drive is still in use. Try removing the physical
drive, remove it from Device Manager, and then try again. If all else
fails, you can do this in Safe Mode.

----
Nathan McNulty

Harry wrote:
> Nathan, You posted the following:
>
> Subject: Re: USB drives not showing up in Windows
> Explorer
> From: "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> Sent: 8/2/2004
> 2:05:10 AM
>
> Check Removable Storage under Computer Management (Right
> click on My Computer and Click Manage). Try removing them
> from Device Manager (Click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc
> and click OK). Then try this: Open regedit and navigate
> to HKLM-System-CCS-Enum-USB
>
> Now find your USB Flash drive and delete the Vid_Xxxx
> folder that it exists under. Now reboot after you have
> done this and see if that fixes anything.
> Nathan McNulty
>
> I have the same type problem. I opened regedit, found the
> folders, but Windows won't let me delete the folder. It
> says "Cannot delete; error while deleting key". Do you
> have any idea why it won't delete.
> Harry

Nathan, The drive was physically removed, and it was not
showing in device manager when I opened regedit. I will
have to try safe mode. How do I boot into safe mode?
Harry

Nathan, I just tried regedit in safe mode and I got the
same message. I can't delete the folder.
Harry

Press F8 after turning on the computer. Press it every couple of seconds
until the menu pops up. Then select Safe Mode.

----
Nathan McNulty

> Nathan, The drive was physically removed, and it was not
> showing in device manager when I opened regedit. I will
> have to try safe mode. How do I boot into safe mode?
> Harry

Which folder is this that you are trying to remove? Make sure it is the
one labeled Vid_Xxxx and not the entire USB folder. If it still won't
work, I don't know what to do. Which device is this that is causing the
problems again? Card Reader? Only thing I can really suggest is see if
a clean install of XP still has the same problem or you could always try
repairing it.

Last thought, you can make sure the permissions are set properly as
described by this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310426

----
Nathan McNulty

> Nathan, I just tried regedit in safe mode and I got the
> same message. I can't delete the folder.
> Harry

Nathan, The folder I tried to remove was the Vid_xxx. I
even tried to delete individual contents of the folder,
but got the same message. The device is a card reader
that is plug and play, no drivers or software with it.
(It installed fine on my other computer with Windows ME.)
I'll read the article next. After that I might try a
reinstall of XP. Thanks for trying to help me.
Harry

us;310426

>----
>Nathan McNulty
>

>anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>> Nathan, I just tried regedit in safe mode and I got
the
>> same message. I can't delete the folder.
>> Harry

Not a problem. Sorry I couldn't provide an immediate solution :)

----
Nathan McNulty

> Nathan, The folder I tried to remove was the Vid_xxx. I
> even tried to delete individual contents of the folder,
> but got the same message. The device is a card reader
> that is plug and play, no drivers or software with it.
> (It installed fine on my other computer with Windows ME.)
> I'll read the article next. After that I might try a
> reinstall of XP. Thanks for trying to help me.
> Harry

Change Permissions (menu Edit or r-click) on that key: by default Everyone
has Read right only.

I believe Harry would find this link useful? ;o)