I have a Maxtor 133 drive. WinXP will not recognize it as
a DMA mode 6. I have a VIA chipset. Have followed MS
instructions to update the drivers. No change. Auto
detect is grayed out. Also the second device auto detect
is grayed out as well. Secondary channel is the same.
Help?

peter

Hi,

Two things you need to check for.

1. Does the mobo BIOS support ATA133?

If not, check for updated BIOS that support this feature.

2. Are you using an ATA133 round cable?

Peter

dferron wrote:
> I have a Maxtor 133 drive. WinXP will not recognize it as
> a DMA mode 6. I have a VIA chipset. Have followed MS
> instructions to update the drivers. No change. Auto
> detect is grayed out. Also the second device auto detect
> is grayed out as well. Secondary channel is the same.
> Help?

If you are getting Mode 5 (U/100) instead of mode 6, be happy.
There would be no difference in performance, because the STR
of that HD is way less than U/100 and so will not be
bottlenecked by U/100.
--
Cheers, Bob

"Bob Willard" wrote:

> dferron wrote:
> > I have a Maxtor 133 drive. WinXP will not recognize it as
> > a DMA mode 6. I have a VIA chipset. Have followed MS
> > instructions to update the drivers. No change. Auto
> > detect is grayed out. Also the second device auto detect
> > is grayed out as well. Secondary channel is the same.
> > Help?

> If you are getting Mode 5 (U/100) instead of mode 6, be happy.
> There would be no difference in performance, because the STR
> of that HD is way less than U/100 and so will not be
> bottlenecked by U/100.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

My BIOS does support Mode 6 and I do have the UDMA cables.

If the drive is rated at 133, why the problem? Is this one of those specs
like HP printers "23ppm"? Of course that is with only one word on the page
kind of thing
:).

My question would be then: Does XP know that the best xfer rate is at
ATA100, therefore not allowing the mode 6? Also, my optical drives are PIO,
and I understand that this is OK as they would never get to the DMA specs.

I have a couple things to interject. First, the current transfer rate
may be at DMA 5, but the maximum is DMA 6. Windows will move up when
the bandwidth is required. Use a program such as Everest Home from
www.lavalys.com to find out what it is really doing (under hard drive
section). Second, PIO mode will work for some CD ROM drives and
Burners, but it is not a good idea to have a DVD ROM or DVD Burner on a
PIO Mode since they are capable of much more data throughput. Change to
DMA Mode if possible in either case. What exactly are your optical drives?

Also, do note that unless using RAID, you will never come close to
ATA100 speeds much less ATA133 ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

JustUs wrote:
> "Bob Willard" wrote:
>

>>dferron wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Maxtor 133 drive. WinXP will not recognize it as
>>>a DMA mode 6. I have a VIA chipset. Have followed MS
>>>instructions to update the drivers. No change. Auto
>>>detect is grayed out. Also the second device auto detect
>>>is grayed out as well. Secondary channel is the same.
>>>Help?
>

>>If you are getting Mode 5 (U/100) instead of mode 6, be happy.
>>There would be no difference in performance, because the STR
>>of that HD is way less than U/100 and so will not be
>>bottlenecked by U/100.
>>--
>>Cheers, Bob

> My BIOS does support Mode 6 and I do have the UDMA cables.
>
> If the drive is rated at 133, why the problem? Is this one of those specs
> like HP printers "23ppm"? Of course that is with only one word on the page
> kind of thing
> :).
>
> My question would be then: Does XP know that the best xfer rate is at
> ATA100, therefore not allowing the mode 6? Also, my optical drives are PIO,
> and I understand that this is OK as they would never get to the DMA specs.

Nathan -
I have a Sony DVDROM DDU1621 and a Digital Research (BTC) IDE1008. My burn
rate is terrible. 9-11x average for a CDR burn and 15+ minutes for a full DVD
from an image.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> I have a couple things to interject. First, the current transfer rate
> may be at DMA 5, but the maximum is DMA 6. Windows will move up when
> the bandwidth is required. Use a program such as Everest Home from
> www.lavalys.com to find out what it is really doing (under hard drive
> section). Second, PIO mode will work for some CD ROM drives and
> Burners, but it is not a good idea to have a DVD ROM or DVD Burner on a
> PIO Mode since they are capable of much more data throughput. Change to
> DMA Mode if possible in either case. What exactly are your optical drives?
>
> Also, do note that unless using RAID, you will never come close to
> ATA100 speeds much less ATA133 ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> JustUs wrote:

> >>If you are getting Mode 5 (U/100) instead of mode 6, be happy.
> >>There would be no difference in performance, because the STR
> >>of that HD is way less than U/100 and so will not be
> >>bottlenecked by U/100.
> >>--
> >>Cheers, Bob

> > My BIOS does support Mode 6 and I do have the UDMA cables.
> >
> > If the drive is rated at 133, why the problem? Is this one of those specs
> > like HP printers "23ppm"? Of course that is with only one word on the page
> > kind of thing
> > :).
> >
> > My question would be then: Does XP know that the best xfer rate is at
> > ATA100, therefore not allowing the mode 6? Also, my optical drives are PIO,
> > and I understand that this is OK as they would never get to the DMA specs.

You will want to change those to DMA. Make sure the settings are correct
in your BIOS. Then click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Now
expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click on Secondary IDE Channel
(and all the rest of them for good measure) and click Properties. Now go
to the Advanced Settings tab and make sure that Transfer Mode is set to
DMA if available.

----
Nathan McNulty

JustUs wrote:
> Nathan -
> I have a Sony DVDROM DDU1621 and a Digital Research (BTC) IDE1008. My burn
> rate is terrible. 9-11x average for a CDR burn and 15+ minutes for a full DVD
> from an image.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>I have a couple things to interject. First, the current transfer rate
>>may be at DMA 5, but the maximum is DMA 6. Windows will move up when
>>the bandwidth is required. Use a program such as Everest Home from
>>www.lavalys.com to find out what it is really doing (under hard drive
>>section). Second, PIO mode will work for some CD ROM drives and
>>Burners, but it is not a good idea to have a DVD ROM or DVD Burner on a
>>PIO Mode since they are capable of much more data throughput. Change to
>>DMA Mode if possible in either case. What exactly are your optical drives?
>>
>>Also, do note that unless using RAID, you will never come close to
>>ATA100 speeds much less ATA133 ;)
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>JustUs wrote:

>>>My BIOS does support Mode 6 and I do have the UDMA cables.
>>>
>>>If the drive is rated at 133, why the problem? Is this one of those specs
>>>like HP printers "23ppm"? Of course that is with only one word on the page
>>>kind of thing
>>> :).
>>>
>>>My question would be then: Does XP know that the best xfer rate is at
>>>ATA100, therefore not allowing the mode 6? Also, my optical drives are PIO,
>>>and I understand that this is OK as they would never get to the DMA specs.

Thanks! I had already changed them as a result of your previous comments. How
will I know if the mode ever changes? BTW - I made the change and then burned
a CDR after the change and still the 9-11x average. I have a request into
IOMagic who handles the DVDRW concerning slow burns. first comment was to
update firmware (did) and newest aspi drivers (already installed) and there
was no change in burn speed either. I have plenty of CPU and RAM - AMD 2600+
and 512 DDR400. When I burn I do not do anything but that.

Thanks for the advice. Great response time :)

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> You will want to change those to DMA. Make sure the settings are correct
> in your BIOS. Then click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Now
> expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click on Secondary IDE Channel
> (and all the rest of them for good measure) and click Properties. Now go
> to the Advanced Settings tab and make sure that Transfer Mode is set to
> DMA if available.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> JustUs wrote:
> > Nathan -
> > I have a Sony DVDROM DDU1621 and a Digital Research (BTC) IDE1008. My burn
> > rate is terrible. 9-11x average for a CDR burn and 15+ minutes for a full DVD
> > from an image.
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>I have a couple things to interject. First, the current transfer rate
> >>may be at DMA 5, but the maximum is DMA 6. Windows will move up when
> >>the bandwidth is required. Use a program such as Everest Home from
> >>www.lavalys.com to find out what it is really doing (under hard drive
> >>section). Second, PIO mode will work for some CD ROM drives and
> >>Burners, but it is not a good idea to have a DVD ROM or DVD Burner on a
> >>PIO Mode since they are capable of much more data throughput. Change to
> >>DMA Mode if possible in either case. What exactly are your optical drives?
> >>
> >>Also, do note that unless using RAID, you will never come close to
> >>ATA100 speeds much less ATA133 ;)
> >>
> >>----
> >>Nathan McNulty

Did you install the latest VIA 4in1 package?

yep.

"Jetro" wrote:

> Did you install the latest VIA 4in1 package?

Did you try to run this Maxtor-133 as single Master drive?

Look in the registry:

HKLM\System\CCS\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

0000 - IDE controller itself,
0001 - primary channel,
0002 - secondary channel.

Both channels, dwords:
MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF
SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF
UserMasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF
UserSlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF
and
MasterDeviceTimingMode 0xFFFF or 0xFFFFF
SlaveDeviceTimingMode 0xFFFF or 0xFFFFF
or
for Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 and PIO4 (burners, very old HDDs...) - 0x0410
for Ultra ATA33 (CDROMs, DVDs, old HDDs...) - 0x2010
for Ultra ATA66 (just HDDs) - 0x8010
for Ultra ATA100 (modern HDDs) - 0x10010
for Ultra ATA133 (ultramodern HDDs) - 0x12010

The entries are as you indicate. However, 001 & 002 are reversed. None of the
entires appear for:
for Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 and PIO4 (burners, very old HDDs...) - 0x0410
for Ultra ATA33 (CDROMs, DVDs, old HDDs...) - 0x2010
for Ultra ATA66 (just HDDs) - 0x8010
for Ultra ATA100 (modern HDDs) - 0x10010
for Ultra ATA133 (ultramodern HDDs) - 0x12010

They all appear as: 0xfff..... under 004,005,007,008

If this is not clear I could send you the registry keys.

"Jetro" wrote:

> Did you try to run this Maxtor-133 as single Master drive?
>
> Look in the registry:
>
> HKLM\System\CCS\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> 0000 - IDE controller itself,
> 0001 - primary channel,
> 0002 - secondary channel.
>
> Both channels, dwords:
> MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF
> SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF
> UserMasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF
> UserSlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed 0xFFFFFFFF
> and
> MasterDeviceTimingMode 0xFFFF or 0xFFFFF
> SlaveDeviceTimingMode 0xFFFF or 0xFFFFF
> or
> for Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 and PIO4 (burners, very old HDDs...) - 0x0410
> for Ultra ATA33 (CDROMs, DVDs, old HDDs...) - 0x2010
> for Ultra ATA66 (just HDDs) - 0x8010
> for Ultra ATA100 (modern HDDs) - 0x10010
> for Ultra ATA133 (ultramodern HDDs) - 0x12010

As you see, if chipset was changed during, say, motherboard upgrade, this
Class key still keeps all the previous records.
If the drive performance is unstable, OS locks it in one of the lower UDMA
modes or in the PIO mode at all. The values "User...ModeAllowed" should
overcome this default behaviour.

Should I change the values? Should I remove the keys and let Windows write
them again?
If I should change them - which ones go where?

Your help is being appreciated!!

"Jetro" wrote:

> As you see, if chipset was changed during, say, motherboard upgrade, this
> Class key still keeps all the previous records.
> If the drive performance is unstable, OS locks it in one of the lower UDMA
> modes or in the PIO mode at all. The values "User...ModeAllowed" should
> overcome this default behaviour.

Here is the reg file:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"Class"="hdc"
@="IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
"Icon"="-9"
"Installer32"="SysSetup.Dll,HdcClassInstaller"
"TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
"InfPath"="mshdc.inf"
"InfSection"="viaide_Inst"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
"DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.3597.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="pci\\ven_1106&dev_0571"
"DriverDesc"="VIA Bus Master IDE Controller"
"TransferModeTiming"=hex(7):31,00,38,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,\
00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,\
30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,30,\
00,00,00,30,00,00,00,31,00,35,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]
"EnumPropPages32"="storprop.dll,IdePropPageProvider"
"InfPath"="mshdc.inf"
"InfSection"="atapi_Inst_secondary"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
"DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="secondary_ide_channel"
"DriverDesc"="Secondary IDE Channel"
"MasterDeviceType"=dword:00000000
"SlaveDeviceType"=dword:00000000
"MasterDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00000000
"SlaveDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002]
"EnumPropPages32"="storprop.dll,IdePropPageProvider"
"InfPath"="mshdc.inf"
"InfSection"="atapi_Inst_primary"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
"DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="primary_ide_channel"
"DriverDesc"="Primary IDE Channel"
"MasterDeviceType"=dword:00000000
"SlaveDeviceType"=dword:00000000
"MasterDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00000000
"SlaveDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003]
"InfPath"="oem35.inf"
"InfSection"="viaide_Inst"
"ProviderName"="VIA Technologies, Inc."
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,40,69,d4,67,57,c1,01
"DriverDate"="10-18-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.120"
"MatchingDeviceId"="pci\\ven_1106&dev_0571"
"DriverDesc"="VIA Bus Master IDE Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0004]
"InfPath"="mshdc.inf"
"InfSection"="atapi_Inst_primary"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
"DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="primary_ide_channel"
"DriverDesc"="Primary IDE Channel"
"MasterDeviceType"=dword:00000001
"SlaveDeviceType"=dword:00000002
"MasterDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00010010
"MasterIdDataCheckSum"=dword:00025bf5
"SlaveDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00002010
"SlaveIdDataCheckSum"=dword:00025544
"SlaveDeviceDetectionTimeout"=dword:00000001
"EnumPropPages32"="storprop.dll,IdePropPageProvider"
"MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff
"SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005]
"InfPath"="mshdc.inf"
"InfSection"="atapi_Inst_secondary"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
"DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="secondary_ide_channel"
"DriverDesc"="Secondary IDE Channel"
"MasterDeviceType"=dword:00000001
"SlaveDeviceType"=dword:00000002
"MasterDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00002010
"MasterIdDataCheckSum"=dword:0000d34d
"SlaveDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00002010
"SlaveIdDataCheckSum"=dword:00024097
"SlaveDeviceDetectionTimeout"=dword:00000001
"EnumPropPages32"="storprop.dll,IdePropPageProvider"
"MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff
"SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0006]
"InfPath"="oem35.inf"
"InfSection"="viaide_Inst"
"ProviderName"="VIA Technologies, Inc."
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,40,69,d4,67,57,c1,01
"DriverDate"="10-18-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.120"
"MatchingDeviceId"="pci\\ven_1106&dev_0571"
"DriverDesc"="VIA Bus Master IDE Controller"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007]
"InfPath"="mshdc.inf"
"InfSection"="atapi_Inst_primary"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
"DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="primary_ide_channel"
"DriverDesc"="Primary IDE Channel"
"MasterDeviceType"=dword:00000001
"SlaveDeviceType"=dword:00000002
"MasterDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00010010
"MasterIdDataCheckSum"=dword:00025bf5
"SlaveDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00000010
"SlaveIdDataCheckSum"=dword:00025544
"EnumPropPages32"="storprop.dll,IdePropPageProvider"
"MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff
"SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:0000001f
"UserSlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0008]
"InfPath"="mshdc.inf"
"InfSection"="atapi_Inst_secondary"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
"DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
"DriverVersion"="5.1.2600.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="secondary_ide_channel"
"DriverDesc"="Secondary IDE Channel"
"MasterDeviceType"=dword:00000001
"SlaveDeviceType"=dword:00000002
"MasterDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00008010
"MasterIdDataCheckSum"=dword:000149ff
"SlaveDeviceTimingMode"=dword:00000010
"SlaveIdDataCheckSum"=dword:00019a23

"Jetro" wrote:

> As you see, if chipset was changed during, say, motherboard upgrade, this
> Class key still keeps all the previous records.
> If the drive performance is unstable, OS locks it in one of the lower UDMA
> modes or in the PIO mode at all. The values "User...ModeAllowed" should
> overcome this default behaviour.

Why do you refer to ControlSet001???

The VIA drivers in your system are outdated. The latest VIA Hyperion 4in1
v.4.51 is timestamped by Nov 2003. In addition you have to install VIA IDE
Miniport driver. Read Release notes before Miniport driver install.

When I posted the information the latest 4 in 1 were already installed. Just
for good measure I installed again.

I installed the Miniport drivers (IDE Tool) - what a mistake. I ended up
with corrupt files, a couple of hours of chdsk and sweat. With this in mind,
I searched for problems with miniport. I found enough to decide that I no
longer wanted to use them. I am not faulting your suggestion, only that it
disagreed with my system. Others may find them useful. Maybe the pushed the
drives to go beyond their "true" capabilities. Anyway, I will remain a little
slower, but confident.