A8N-SLI too cool?

Hi,

with low cpu load the board and cpu temperature is around 24°C, while room
is about 20°C. This is quite few. Is my mobo defect? What are your numbers?
I have a zalman cpu cooler CNPS7000-Cu and a athlon 64 3000+ winchester cpu.

BTW, anyone successfully replaced the annoying active chipset heat sink by a
passive one? This one looks interesting:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014

regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,
24 is a low number, but at start up and under light load, it could be
theoretically so low, especially if your CPU fan is not variable. I have an
Arctic Cooling variable speed fan, and I am getting temps of 30-32 degrees
(Winchester 3000+) at room temps of 20degrees. The magazines here in Germany
are saying that the Winchester 3000+ is so cool even under load, that
they've demonstrated stable overclocking to 2,600mhz, (normal 1,800), nice
to know for overclocking fans. If you have reservations, just set the MAX
CPU temp in the bios to 65 degrees, and you'll be ok. (If you are wanting to
overclock, just be careful) Hope I helped,
Dave

Martin Gramatke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with low cpu load the board and cpu temperature is around 24°C, while room
> is about 20°C. This is quite few. Is my mobo defect? What are your numbers?
> I have a zalman cpu cooler CNPS7000-Cu and a athlon 64 3000+ winchester cpu.
>
> BTW, anyone successfully replaced the annoying active chipset heat sink by a
> passive one? This one looks interesting:
> http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014
>
> regards,
> Martin

Those temps are awfully low. Where are you seeing those numbers? Asus
Probe should give you the right temps..

Yes, I have used that exact heatsink to replace the chipset fan on my
board. It does get rather warm, but no problems, at least with no
overclocking. However, that may not be an option if you want to use a
2-slot video card such as a 6800 Ultra since it may block the card's
heatsink.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Hi Robert,
What do you have for a system? Is your system overclocked or standard?? And
the CPU? Which? I still maintain that the new Winchester CPU runs way cool.
Of course, all depends on the die, and how good the actual chip is. My
opinion: the chip is really running that cold. I ignore noise (Fans), I look
at it as a byproduct of of a strong,stable system. Cul8r,
Dave

Dave McCaleb wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> What do you have for a system? Is your system overclocked or standard?? And
> the CPU? Which? I still maintain that the new Winchester CPU runs way cool.
> Of course, all depends on the die, and how good the actual chip is. My
> opinion: the chip is really running that cold. I ignore noise (Fans), I look
> at it as a byproduct of of a strong,stable system. Cul8r,

I've got an Athlon 64 Newcastle 3500+, not overclocked. It runs about 55
degrees at full load. A 3000+ Winchester will definitely be cooler, but
24 degrees is still a bit of a stretch, especially with identical CPU
and motherboard temperatures..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Hi I am running the Arctic Cooler Freezer with a Winchester 3000+, and it's
showing 24° in BIOS and Probe. It is running that cool! Dave
> Dave McCaleb wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>> What do you have for a system? Is your system overclocked or standard??
>> And the CPU? Which? I still maintain that the new Winchester CPU runs way
>> cool. Of course, all depends on the die, and how good the actual chip is.
>> My opinion: the chip is really running that cold. I ignore noise (Fans),
>> I look at it as a byproduct of of a strong,stable system. Cul8r,
>
> I've got an Athlon 64 Newcastle 3500+, not overclocked. It runs about 55
> degrees at full load. A 3000+ Winchester will definitely be cooler, but 24
> degrees is still a bit of a stretch, especially with identical CPU and
> motherboard temperatures..
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

Ed

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:45:06 +0100, "Dave McCaleb"
<boelander@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hi I am running the Arctic Cooler Freezer with a Winchester 3000+, and it's
>showing 24° in BIOS and Probe. It is running that cool! Dave

Ya Winchester run pretty cool....
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/pentium4_570-20.html
http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7417
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/athlon64-fx55/index.x?pg=15

I have a Newcastle 2.2GHz with stock HS/fan, even with w/Cool and Quite
disable it idles in the low-mid 30s.

Ed

Latest posts