Erratic mouse and new hardware wizard

I have two, semi related problems.

I have 3 computer systems (the boxes are A120s from Iron Systems, the MBs
are Tyan with the 845 chip set, I think). They're all running XP Pro with
SP1.

All of them, on occasion, think they have had a new mouse attached and
install drivers for the new mouse, even tho they've not really had a new
mouse installed. At the next reboot, the mouse is uncontrollable - the
pointer flys wildly across the screen in an apparently random motion. The
way to "correct" the problem is to boot into safe mode, delete the mouse
then reboot twice (while standing on your head in the corner with your
left thumb pointed due north).

So I figure can stop the *&*)(^(*&$% new hardware dude from checking, it
won't ever try and find a new mouse and things should be cool. I'm also
not likely to ever add new hardware to these machines anyway...

Of course a better solution would be to find out why the mouse goes nuts
but when there are statements in the MS knowledge base like those at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256043 (see the
"status" section) I doubt I'll ever solve the root problem...

Thanks
Bruce

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Bruce Bowler | Even from an enemy a man may learn wisdom. -

Bruce Bowler wrote:
> I have two, semi related problems.
>
> I have 3 computer systems (the boxes are A120s from Iron Systems, the
> MBs are Tyan with the 845 chip set, I think). They're all running XP
> Pro with SP1.
>
> All of them, on occasion, think they have had a new mouse attached and
> install drivers for the new mouse, even tho they've not really had a
> new mouse installed. At the next reboot, the mouse is uncontrollable
> - the pointer flys wildly across the screen in an apparently random
> motion. The way to "correct" the problem is to boot into safe mode,
> delete the mouse then reboot twice (while standing on your head in
> the corner with your left thumb pointed due north).
>
> So I figure can stop the *&*)(^(*&$% new hardware dude from checking,
> it won't ever try and find a new mouse and things should be cool.
> I'm also not likely to ever add new hardware to these machines
> anyway...
>
> Of course a better solution would be to find out why the mouse goes
> nuts but when there are statements in the MS knowledge base like
> those at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256043 (see
> the "status" section) I doubt I'll ever solve the root problem...
>
> Thanks
> Bruce

I would look to the mainboard chipset drivers, BIOS, updated video
driver, refresh rate, clocking, etc, since it seems common among the
computers.