SATA as main on board?

Well I got a Western Digital 74.3gig Raptor (10,000 rpm) HD for Valentine's
Day from my girl. Anyhow, I want to do a reinstall of XP Pro. Now the way to
my understanding that the boot operation works is that it first reads the
IDE and then soforth. I guess what I am asking, is there anything special
that I need to do in order for my OS to boot off of a SATA drive on my ASUS
A7N8X-E Deluxe? Any special tricks with the OS or anything? I currently have
3 other drives on my computer, a 40gig, 120gig, and 250gig. I ask since this
is a different connection and all. So if there is anything I need to do,
then what?

I should add that I want this is to be my bootable drive. The one with XP
Pro on it. In case that wasn't so clear in my original post. Thanks much. I
appreciate any info anyone can help me with.

Before to start with the installation I would recommend to use some utility
like Partition Magic, to arrange the partitions, market the desired
partition as active and format the new HD the way you wanted.
You can skip this process but then whole drive would be used for the system.

To have the SATA HD as main (boot) hard disk all you need is :
1) Prepare in advance a disquette with the SATA controller drivers. You'll
find them on the CD that came with the mobo.
2) Start the installation of WinXP booting from the CD(have a loock at BIOS
booting sequence if required). At the beggining of this installation on the
bottom line of the screen, the system will offer request you to press F6 to
install other SCSI or RAID drivers. Do so, and during the installation these
drivers are going to be loaded from the disquette you've prepared before.
3) Choose the partition on the SATA drive and continue as allways..

That's all.
Regards,

So if I already have a SATA HDD on my machine, then do I just skip the one
part or still have those drivers? Also, if rather than doing a fresh install
on the computer, I ended up doing a clone from the old 20gig 7200rpm IBM IDE
drive and then doing a fresh re-install of XP and then creating an image,
would that works as well and what are some recommendations with that? Thanks
much.

"Zeneca" <Zeneca@euskaltel.es> wrote in message
> Before to start with the installation I would recommend to use some
utility
> like Partition Magic, to arrange the partitions, market the desired
> partition as active and format the new HD the way you wanted.
> You can skip this process but then whole drive would be used for the
system.

> To have the SATA HD as main (boot) hard disk all you need is :
> 1) Prepare in advance a disquette with the SATA controller drivers. You'll
> find them on the CD that came with the mobo.
> 2) Start the installation of WinXP booting from the CD(have a loock at
BIOS
> booting sequence if required). At the beggining of this installation on
the
> bottom line of the screen, the system will offer request you to press F6
> install other SCSI or RAID drivers. Do so, and during the installation
these
> drivers are going to be loaded from the disquette you've prepared before.
> 3) Choose the partition on the SATA drive and continue as allways..
>
> That's all.
> Regards,

Whenever I install XP on a sata drive I always make sure that it is the only
hd connected on my system. I've had problems where XP installed on my
storage drive by mistake. As previously said, make sure you press F6 and
use the sata drivers on your floppy.

"Mark G." <Askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> So if I already have a SATA HDD on my machine, then do I just skip the
> one
> part or still have those drivers? Also, if rather than doing a fresh
> install
> on the computer, I ended up doing a clone from the old 20gig 7200rpm IBM
> IDE
> drive and then doing a fresh re-install of XP and then creating an image,
> would that works as well and what are some recommendations with that?
> Thanks
> much.
>
> "Zeneca" <Zeneca@euskaltel.es> wrote in message
>> Before to start with the installation I would recommend to use some
> utility
>> like Partition Magic, to arrange the partitions, market the desired
>> partition as active and format the new HD the way you wanted.
>> You can skip this process but then whole drive would be used for the
> system.
>>
>> To have the SATA HD as main (boot) hard disk all you need is :
>> 1) Prepare in advance a disquette with the SATA controller drivers.
>> You'll
>> find them on the CD that came with the mobo.
>> 2) Start the installation of WinXP booting from the CD(have a loock at
> BIOS
>> booting sequence if required). At the beggining of this installation on
> the
>> bottom line of the screen, the system will offer request you to press F6
>> install other SCSI or RAID drivers. Do so, and during the installation
> these
>> drivers are going to be loaded from the disquette you've prepared before.
>> 3) Choose the partition on the SATA drive and continue as allways..
>>
>> That's all.
>> Regards,

"Zeneca" <Zeneca@euskaltel.es> wrote in message
> Before to start with the installation I would recommend to use some
> utility like Partition Magic, to arrange the partitions, market the
> desired partition as active and format the new HD the way you wanted.
> You can skip this process but then whole drive would be used for the
> system.
>
> To have the SATA HD as main (boot) hard disk all you need is :
> 1) Prepare in advance a disquette with the SATA controller drivers. You'll
> find them on the CD that came with the mobo.

Change setting in BIOS to boot from SATA.