I have a HP Deskjet 940c Inkjet printer.

While printing something out, the paper jammed and it stopped printing.

When I checked the printer, I found a plastic strip about 1/8" wide and
18" long had come off the printer from somewhere.

The plastic strip has a slanted hole on each end and is NOT broken in
any way.

If I can see where the strip fits on the printer or know where it goes,
I could probably fix it myself, thereby saving some bucks.

As cheap as printer's are it would probably be more cost effective just
too buy a new one, but I have 2 new ink cartridges.

Can anyone tell me where this strip goes, or know where I can see a
schematic drawing of the printer's insides? TIA.

if you have any friends that have an HP inkjet old or new.... you can
see where your plastic piece goes. Its commonly called the "Reader
strip" ( I forget the tech name)......come to think of it , not sure I
ever knew. The Hp printers almost all have the same reader strip type
of assembly. it threads through the back of the print carriage
assembly. and is connected on each end . one end solid... the other
end with a little thin piece of metal... sometimes slips off the thin
metal end. it basically tells your printer its side to side
boundaries. without it ... the printer doesnt know what to do about
side to side movement.The connection on the solid end will have a bit
of a slant to the metal "Nub" that anchors the one end of the reader
strip ( look somewhat parallel with the hole just slightly lower than
the middle of the print carriage assembly and above the metal slide
bar) and it will only really have a possiblility of going on 2 ways .
Should be a piece of cake.

http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs/DJ9xx-Catalog/201_9xxPrintMechanism_2.html

On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:32:09 -0400, Puffnutt <puffnutt@hiya.com>
wrote:

>The plastic strip has a slanted hole on each end and is NOT broken in
>any way...[snipped]

hi, on my hp, the part you describe runs through the print carriage
and is attached to a prong on each end of the carriage assembly...
i have a pix i could send, may help
good luck

pax,
h2

In article <06mia0t1vlrt9c6d6t9nabiirr5k2b2sj2@4ax.com>, hendrixx2
@worldnet.att.net says...
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:32:09 -0400, Puffnutt <puffnutt@hiya.com>
> wrote:

> >The plastic strip has a slanted hole on each end and is NOT broken in
> >any way...[snipped]
>
> hi, on my hp, the part you describe runs through the print carriage
> and is attached to a prong on each end of the carriage assembly...
> i have a pix i could send, may help
> good luck
>
> pax,
> h2

Thank's, a picture would be all I need. You can send it to
puffnutt@hotmail.com

"Puffnutt" <puffnutt@hiya.com> wrote in message news:40a8bf0b_2@news.vic.com...
> While printing something out, the paper jammed and it stopped printing.
>
> When I checked the printer, I found a plastic strip about 1/8" wide and
> 18" long had come off the printer from somewhere.
>
> The plastic strip has a slanted hole on each end and is NOT broken in
> any way.
>
> If I can see where the strip fits on the printer or know where it goes,
> I could probably fix it myself, thereby saving some bucks.
>
> As cheap as printer's are it would probably be more cost effective just
> too buy a new one, but I have 2 new ink cartridges.
>
> Can anyone tell me where this strip goes, or know where I can see a
> schematic drawing of the printer's insides? TIA.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=231315
has some pictures of the encoder placement for a DeskJet 1220. While this is a
different printer model this area will look the same.

Regards,

HAHAHHAHHAHA