What does the 4-in-1 driver do?

I have a K8V SE Delux and after I installed the 4-in-1 driver set, the
boot up (into WinXP Pro) is longer than before. One time during a
clean install of the OS, I decided to update to SP2 before loading any
MB drivers, and I found I really didn't see any difference in
functionality with or without the 4-in-1. What did I miss? Do I
really need the 4-in-1? The puter boots much faster without it.

Ed

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:31:50 -0500, JJ Chan <jjchan at pol dot net>
wrote:

>I have a K8V SE Delux and after I installed the 4-in-1 driver set, the
>boot up (into WinXP Pro) is longer than before. One time during a
>clean install of the OS, I decided to update to SP2 before loading any
>MB drivers, and I found I really didn't see any difference in
>functionality with or without the 4-in-1. What did I miss? Do I
>really need the 4-in-1? The puter boots much faster without it.

you'll probably want to at least install the GART driver if you want to
run any 3D games.

The hardware manufacturer has better drivers than Microsoft's generic drivers. You may not
see a difference now but there may be issues that will show up later. Such as compatibility
issues and performance improvements.

--
Dave

"JJ Chan" <jjchan at pol dot net> wrote in message
| I have a K8V SE Delux and after I installed the 4-in-1 driver set, the
| boot up (into WinXP Pro) is longer than before. One time during a
| clean install of the OS, I decided to update to SP2 before loading any
| MB drivers, and I found I really didn't see any difference in
| functionality with or without the 4-in-1. What did I miss? Do I
| really need the 4-in-1? The puter boots much faster without it.

I am sure that the chipset drivers are reqd for correct operation of the agp
bus but I could have misunderstood!

"JJ Chan" <jjchan at pol dot net> wrote in message
> I have a K8V SE Delux and after I installed the 4-in-1 driver set, the
> boot up (into WinXP Pro) is longer than before. One time during a
> clean install of the OS, I decided to update to SP2 before loading any
> MB drivers, and I found I really didn't see any difference in
> functionality with or without the 4-in-1. What did I miss? Do I
> really need the 4-in-1? The puter boots much faster without it.

System i put together a couple months back is doing fine witout 4in1's
use it daily for gaming

--
ASUS A8V/Athlon 64 FX-55
ATI RADEON X800XT PE