Why did I buy the A7N8X-E Deluxe????

Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
update the bios.
Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the dealers
say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued. Great!!
They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update the bios
to handle them. I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and switch to
Intel.

To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

Ed

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:09:02 GMT, "Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote:

>To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

I would of bought an AMD 64 3200+ or 3500+ + and Socket 939 board,
Socket-A has been around since 1999, it's time is up!

A A7N8X and fast Barton is still nice though, I have one as my second
PC.

Good luck,
Ed

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:09:02 +0000, Roln wrote:

> Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
> I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
> immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
> update the bios.
> Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
> needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
> sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the dealers
> say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued. Great!!
> They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update the bios
> to handle them. I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and switch to
> Intel.
>
> To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

No, I think you made the mistake not doing your research beforehand to
know that AMD is discontinuing the Socket A chips and that you would have
to upgrade your BIOS for SATA and Sempron. But these are not
insurmountable problems as there are still Socket A's around to buy and
upgrading your BIOS is not a big deal : just follow instructions VERY
carfully! I think you will still end up happy with the motherboard in the
end.

Larry

default

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003

I would just order one. www.pricewatch.com

"Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
> I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
> immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
> update the bios.
> Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
> needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
> sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the
dealers
> say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued. Great!!
> They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update the bios
> to handle them. I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and switch to
> Intel.
>
> To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

That's a bunch of bullshit. I have that board and it runs great. Go to
newegg.com. I just bought an Athlon XP 3200+400fsb for $180.00 a 2800 or
less will be cheaper. Takes about four days for them to ship to N.J. PS the
HS and fan are included. Watch the memory it seems to run better with
Corsair than Kingston.
Rudy
"Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
> I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
> immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
> update the bios.
> Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
> needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
> sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the
dealers
> say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued. Great!!
> They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update the bios
> to handle them. I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and switch to
> Intel.
>
> To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

PS I'm running 2 WD satas. Finding the drivers on the CD is a pain. Asus is
no different than gigabyte or anyone else for my money. They all should ship
with a lousy cheap floppy and it would make it easier for someone who is new
to this SATA setup to install in the beginning.

Roln wrote:
> Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
> I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
> immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
> update the bios.
> Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
> needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
> sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the dealers
> say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued. Great!!
> They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update the bios
> to handle them.

> I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and switch to Intel.

Who is the idiot who led you to believe you could avoid this
issue with motherboards that use Intel chips ?

> To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

I've built several systems around variants of the A7N8X,
including the A7N8X, A7N8X-VM, and A7N8X-E deluxe, and the A7N8X
Deluxe. Great boards - easy to build a system around.

A BIOS update is no big deal - just follow the steps at the Asus
web site to the letter. The most common mistake people make is
to use a BIOS flashing program other than the one the
instructions tell them to use. Use the one on the same download
page as the version 1012 BIOS and you'll be fine.
http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X-E%20Deluxe&Type=Latest

If you are still not comfortable doing a BIOS upgrade, there are
still lots of vendors out there selling the Athlon XP and the
Athlon XP-M, all of which can be used in your system without a
BIOS upgrade. For example, I regularly buy from www.ncix.com and
they have yet to sell out their Athlon XP and XP-M stocks. And
last time I bought from www.lynncomp.com they also still had a
good selection.

However, if you are not comfortable with something as simple as a
BIOS upgrade then perhaps you should hand your project over to
someone with some experience in computer building and let him/her
finish it for you.

--
Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

This is a very good board, I haven't had a moment's trouble.
Try http://www.newegg.com. This is where I buy all my stuff. They may still
have some CPUs for Socket A.

"Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
> I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
> immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
> update the bios.
> Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
> needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
> sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the
> dealers say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued.
> Great!! They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update
> the bios to handle them. I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and
> switch to Intel.
>
> To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

I dont know where you live but there are plenty of Athlon XP Processors
for sale.

Some uptight people like only selling what is new because that makes
more money. Personally if I had the money for a motherboard I would
purchase a Athlon64 motherboard with a socket 939 or maybe a 754 socket
board.

I think you can still get an XP Processor for that motherboard. Just
look at www.newegg.com . . .

Updating the BIOS should be easy. Asus has a utility to update the
BIOS. You may have to load the Third part chipset drivers for the SATA
Drive. You will have to have a floppy drive for that.

Roln wrote:

> Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
> I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
> immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
> update the bios.
> Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
> needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
> sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the dealers
> say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued. Great!!
> They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update the bios
> to handle them. I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and switch to
> Intel.
>
> To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

Rob,

I checked the dealers web sites you mentioned and found them to have much
higher prices than the two dealers I use.
Roln

"Rob Stow" wrote:

> I regularly buy from www.ncix.com and they have yet to sell out their
> Athlon XP and XP-M stocks. And last time I bought from www.lynncomp.com
> they also still had a good selection.

> Roln wrote:
>
>> Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
>> I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
>> immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
>> update the bios.
>> Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
>> needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
>> sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the
>> dealers say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued.
>> Great!! They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update
>> the bios to handle them. I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and
>> switch to Intel.
>>
>> To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

Why anyone who claims that they have been doing this for 15 years
could not know that any and all CPUs, Chipsets, Memory, HDD, MBs,
OS, video bus, video cards, networking formats, ect...., are doomed to
be replaced by something new, beats me. Now if your one and only
experience were 15 years ago, it might make sense. If you had been
updating to keep up with current technology for 15 years, this could
hardly come as a surprise.

In the two years you mention there will be new capabilities that the
best current components (even the fastest 986 Athlon 64 FX sys.)
won't be able to touch. And there will still be people selling Socket
A CPUs & MBs, just at much lower prices, not that it will matter
because you will want the latest capabilities.

The point is that there is little if anything that a good A7N8X-E
based system can't do, that any of the others can. By the time the
A7N8X-E Socket A System becomes really limited, you will be
dealing with components that aren't on the market yet, much less
available at a reasonable price. So maybe it wasn't such a bad
buy after all.

Luck;
Ken

Hi Ed,

I thot seriously of going the AMD 64 route and ended up staying with a
socket A.

I wish AMD would classify their chips with model numbers that represent the
true frequency.
ie: 3000= 3ghz, 3500= 3.5ghz, etc.

When are you going to a 64 system??

"Ed" wrote:
> I would of bought an AMD 64 3200+ or 3500+ + and Socket 939 board,
> Socket-A has been around since 1999, it's time is up!
>
> A A7N8X and fast Barton is still nice though, I have one as my second
> PC.
>
> Good luck,
> Ed

Hi Roln,
What made you continue to use AMD CPUs and systems until now? I suspect it
is why you will remain with AMD in the future, and that is, better value,
and faster chips. Since about 2 years Intel has been releasing hot, less
powerfull CPUs, because in my opinion, they are trying to be everything to
everyone. Marketing strategy be what it may, Intel just isn't interested in
keeping up with AMD in one small relatively market segment in the big home
computer market, what with their success in flash memory, laptop CPUs, and
so on. They are a super large public company, and must build on their
success to maintain stock value. A lot of research fell victim to the bottom
line there, although they still have a fairly good new product development
strategy. PLUS; they dropped the ball on 64 bit architecture, until they
licensed the AMD 64 bit system. Even Microsoft decided that this is
evidently the best system for the PC future You say you've been using AMD
Computers or at least CPUS for the past few years. Sounds like you have been
building or buying computers long enough to know that in 2 years a Socket
A computer, if not obsolete, will be at least a standard or basic computer
at that time. AMD had a problem choosing the successor to the Socket A, but
in 2 years I guess everyone who uses AMD will be reachng for 939 Boards and
CPUS, as I predict you will too. If you have been using AMD products til
now, then I figure you're a bit like me, in that you root for the underdog,
as well as demanding value. Hertz's slogan, #2 tries harder, fits well in
the David and Goliath picture of AMD and Intel at present, where the small
company is beating the large company in certain segments because of its'
hungry approach. Is this sounding lie a commercial for AMD? It's not meant
to be, but, I am convinced, as this market indicates, that competition is
the basis for development of products like computers, cameras, stereos, and
basically ALL other products that one can name. We must only remember the
lesson of Nike, to watch out that we don't exploit the poorer nations in our
quest for the perfect electronic product, whatever it might be.

BTW, unsure that the BIOS on that board must be udpdated to be able to use
the sempron CPUs. Thats a simple chip, and I don't think that it needs
special BIOSsettings. (I could be wrong) Boy, did I go off topic there. HOPE
I didn't bore you and/or helped, cul8r, Dave

PS: The A7N8X - Deluxe is a wonderful board. This system has one.I'm sure
you'll have years
of carefree service.

"Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Because I've been using Socket A chips for the past several years, I thot
> I'd be kewl and get a Motherboard that could handle a SATA hard drive. I
> immediately found out this board don't recognize a SATA drive until you
> update the bios.
> Not a big deal, IF you'd done that before, which I haven't. Next thing I
> needed was an Athlon CPU, and found out, there is no dealer in Iowa that
> sells AMD Athlon Socket A chips for this board and what's worse, the
> dealers say they can't even order them because they've been discontinued.
> Great!! They do sell the Sempron chips, however, but would need to update
> the bios to handle them. I guess it's time I quit using AMD chips and
> switch to Intel.
>
> To sum it up, I made a big mistake buying this board!!!

Thus spake Ken Maltby:

> The point is that there is little if anything that a good A7N8X-E
> based system can't do, that any of the others can. By the time the
> A7N8X-E Socket A System becomes really limited, you will be
> dealing with components that aren't on the market yet, much less
> available at a reasonable price. So maybe it wasn't such a bad
> buy after all.

4 months ago, I replaced my A7V266-E with an A7N8X-E due to an accident. I
was well aware that 32bit systems were becoming obsolete but for 66UKP, I
was able to rejuvenate my existing system when money was an issue & reuse
the rest of my h/w.

However, I concur with the replies that state the OP should have done more
research instead of whinging here about it for the level of experience
stated. It also goes without saying that I've made some very poor decisions
in my life well over & above a mere computer upgrade but I tend not to
broadcast them! My PC now has an XP-M2500+, its full potential will be
realised when I can afford some Ballistix PC3200 RAM fairly soon instead of
pushing my current PC2100 to 173Mhz @12.5x!

As for the difference made so far from replacing an XP1800+ - hardly
noticeable in most tasks. Replacing hard discs with faster ones makes for
far more performance gains IMO.

--
The only use heat spreaders on LL RAM sticks have is to keep marketing
creeps in jobs & to hide the chip part numbers. Cooling has sod all to do

Thus spake Dave McCaleb:
> We must only remember
> the lesson of Nike, to watch out that we don't exploit the poorer
> nations in our quest for the perfect electronic product, whatever it
> might be.

The west is strong economically *because* it does exploit the so-called 3rd
world. This is slowly changing with globalisation which has already effected
jobs in the west. Countries such as India will become vibrant IP
powerhouses. However, countries like the USA need to reduce their
non-renewable energy consumption very soon. At least Europe is slightly less
insular in this respect. The environmental impact of supplying raw materials
to feed the west's love of technology is unfortunately something that most
end-users would prefer to remain ignorant of. I'm not a doomsayer that
thinks the planet has had it but we do go in for brinkmanship - big-time!

> PS: The A7N8X - Deluxe is a wonderful board. This system has one.I'm
> sure you'll have years
> of carefree service.

The A7N8X-E/X & the Abit NF7-S v2 are both very good choices. I dismissed
the Abit 'cos it had a NB fan & stuck with the devil I know.

--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!

Ed

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:17:29 GMT, "Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi Ed,
>
>I thot seriously of going the AMD 64 route and ended up staying with a
>socket A.
>
>I wish AMD would classify their chips with model numbers that represent the
>true frequency.
>ie: 3000= 3ghz, 3500= 3.5ghz, etc.

CPU MHz alone doesn't mean much, I look at overall performance.

>When are you going to a 64 system??

I've been running a NF3-250 board and Athlon 64 3200+ for about 6 months
now.

Ed

Hi Dave,

Thanks for an excellent post with a lot of good information.
I like this ASUS board and will use it for several years by me
and other family members. I'm starting today, gathering knowledge
of an AMD64 system. In a short time, I've noticed a lot of
manufactures already making boards. A couple from ASUS and a
bunch from Gigabyte. (I have two other computers using Gigabyte socket A
boards)
Since I'm not into gaming, I believe I can use the lesser expensive 64 chip
and still have a nice system.
Thanks again for your reply.
Roln

"Dave McCaleb" wrote:

> Hi Roln,
> What made you continue to use AMD CPUs and systems until now? I suspect it
> is why you will remain with AMD in the future, and that is, better value,
> and faster chips. Since about 2 years Intel has been releasing hot, less
> powerfull CPUs, because in my opinion, they are trying to be everything to
> everyone. Marketing strategy be what it may, Intel just isn't interested
> in
> keeping up with AMD in one small relatively market segment in the big home
> computer market, what with their success in flash memory, laptop CPUs, and
> so on. They are a super large public company, and must build on their
> success to maintain stock value. A lot of research fell victim to the
> bottom
> line there, although they still have a fairly good new product development
> strategy. PLUS; they dropped the ball on 64 bit architecture, until they
> licensed the AMD 64 bit system. Even Microsoft decided that this is
> evidently the best system for the PC future You say you've been using AMD
> Computers or at least CPUS for the past few years. Sounds like you have
> been
> building or buying computers long enough to know that in 2 years a
> Socket
> A computer, if not obsolete, will be at least a standard or basic computer
> at that time. AMD had a problem choosing the successor to the Socket A,
> but
> in 2 years I guess everyone who uses AMD will be reachng for 939 Boards
> and
> CPUS, as I predict you will too. If you have been using AMD products til
> now, then I figure you're a bit like me, in that you root for the
> underdog,
> as well as demanding value. Hertz's slogan, #2 tries harder, fits well in
> the David and Goliath picture of AMD and Intel at present, where the small
> company is beating the large company in certain segments because of its'
> hungry approach. Is this sounding lie a commercial for AMD? It's not meant
> to be, but, I am convinced, as this market indicates, that competition is
> the basis for development of products like computers, cameras, stereos,
> and
> basically ALL other products that one can name. We must only remember the
> lesson of Nike, to watch out that we don't exploit the poorer nations in
> our
> quest for the perfect electronic product, whatever it might be.
>
> BTW, unsure that the BIOS on that board must be udpdated to be able to use
> the sempron CPUs. Thats a simple chip, and I don't think that it needs
> special BIOSsettings. (I could be wrong) Boy, did I go off topic there.
> HOPE
> I didn't bore you and/or helped, cul8r, Dave
>
> PS: The A7N8X - Deluxe is a wonderful board. This system has one.I'm sure
> you'll have years
> of carefree service.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

A dumbass like you really should go back to Intel.

DaveL

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> with obviously the mind of a child wrote:

>A dumbass like you really should go back to Intel.
>
> DaveL

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

You bought an old tech motherboard and so you blame AMD? If you knew
anything about this stuff you would have bought an Nforce3 or Nforce4 board
and got an Athlon64 cpu.

DaveL

> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> with obviously the mind of a child wrote:
>
>>A dumbass like you really should go back to Intel.
>>
>> DaveL

I read all the replies to this thread and have the following question
regarding updating the bios. I have ordered an ATN8X-VM/400 and am
going to use a sempron 2800. The asus compatibility chart says that
the board will not boot up without upgrading the bios. My question
is how do you flash the bios if you can't boot up at least to dos?
Anyone? Thanks

Since fall of 2004 we have had good luck using AMD XP-Mobile in most
mobo - exception is older ones like Shuttle MN31N which we built to
fit a particular size requirement.

see
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

JohnO

"seadubya" <seawall@verizon-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I read all the replies to this thread and have the following question
> regarding updating the bios. I have ordered an ATN8X-VM/400 and am
> going to use a sempron 2800. The asus compatibility chart says that
> the board will not boot up without upgrading the bios. My question
> is how do you flash the bios if you can't boot up at least to dos?
> Anyone? Thanks

put a supported cpu in it first.