What the maximum kb/sec speed for a 56kps modem?

What the maximum kb/sec speed for a 56kps modem?

Thank you.

Greg R

The maximum speed is 56 Kilobits per second or 7 Kilobytes per second.
There are compression methods that work to allow more data than this,
thus the V90 and V92 standards. Most places are limited to 53.3
Kilobits per second because of FCC Regulations.

----
Nathan McNulty

Greg R wrote:
> What the maximum kb/sec speed for a 56kps modem?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Greg R

Thank You.

That explains why I was getting 7.11 kb/sec for a file download.
Which is unusually. 7.11 was the maximum it went up too.
My normal speed is usally 5.00 kb/sec at the most.

Greg R

Greg R wrote:
> Thank You.
>
> That explains why I was getting 7.11 kb/sec for a file download.
> Which is unusually. 7.11 was the maximum it went up too.
> My normal speed is usally 5.00 kb/sec at the most.
>
> Greg R
>

>> On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:08:39 -0700, Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> The maximum speed is 56 Kilobits per second or 7 Kilobytes per
>> second. There are compression methods that work to allow more data
>> than this, thus the V90 and V92 standards. Most places are limited
>> to 53.3
>> Kilobits per second because of FCC Regulations.
>>
>> ----
>> Nathan McNulty
>>
>> Greg R wrote:
>>> What the maximum kb/sec speed for a 56kps modem?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Greg R

The 5KB might be more realistic than the theoretical 7KB. There are 8
bits per byte by definition, but modem transfers attach a start and stop
bit to each byte, resulting in 10 transferred bits per net file byte as
an upper limit of actual bits transferred. This is offset downward from
10 by compression. In any event, over the years with dial-up, my
connections uniformly provided net transfer times more consistent with
10 b/B than to 8 b/B.

And it is also important to remember that very few computer components
actually run at 100% efficiency. Theoretical throughputs such as those
on USB 2.0 and FireWire are rarely ever reached as is true with
PCI\PCMCIA buses. As for dial-up modems, I have not used one in three
years, but I do remember having to change over from a pre-V90 modem to a
V92 and the difference just because of compression was amazing. The
nice thing is that these days, if DSL is available in your area, you may
actually be able to save money by moving to high speed internet. We
used to have 2 phone lines and cheap MSN internet at a total price of
$35 a month. Now we have Qwest DSL with MSN for only $30 a month!

----
Nathan McNulty