Partition a new external hard drive?

I have a brand new external hard drive (LaCie, 160GB, USB 2.0) that has no
data on it. Windows XP Pro recognizes it as Drive (G). I formatted with
Disk Management using NFTS. I would like to partition it. I followed the
instructions in the Windows XP "Help" ('309000 How to use Disk Management to
configure basic disks in Windows XP) However, I have the following problem:

Windows XP "Help" '309000 says: "In the Disk Management window ... To
create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk
where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition."

I tried this several times. When I right-click on the new disk the menu
does not give me the option to create a New Partition. (I am given the
option to 'delete partition')

What am I doing wrong? How can I partition this new hard drive?

bar

If any software came with the hard drive, pray that it will be useful for
this task.

Failing that, you now need to buy Partition Magic.

"Lillly" wrote:

> I have a brand new external hard drive (LaCie, 160GB, USB 2.0) that has no
> data on it. Windows XP Pro recognizes it as Drive (G). I formatted with
> Disk Management using NFTS. I would like to partition it. I followed the
> instructions in the Windows XP "Help" ('309000 How to use Disk Management to
> configure basic disks in Windows XP) However, I have the following problem:
>
> Windows XP "Help" '309000 says: "In the Disk Management window ... To
> create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk
> where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition."
>
> I tried this several times. When I right-click on the new disk the menu
> does not give me the option to create a New Partition. (I am given the
> option to 'delete partition')
>
> What am I doing wrong? How can I partition this new hard drive?

> "Lillly" wrote:
>
> > I have a brand new external hard drive (LaCie, 160GB, USB 2.0) that has
no
> > data on it. Windows XP Pro recognizes it as Drive (G). I formatted
with
> > Disk Management using NFTS. I would like to partition it. I followed
the
> > instructions in the Windows XP "Help" ('309000 How to use Disk
Management to
> > configure basic disks in Windows XP) However, I have the following
problem:

> > Windows XP "Help" '309000 says: "In the Disk Management window ... To
> > create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk
> > where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition."
> >
> > I tried this several times. When I right-click on the new disk the menu
> > does not give me the option to create a New Partition. (I am given the
> > option to 'delete partition')
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? How can I partition this new hard drive?

POSTING FROM BAR:
<BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If any software came with the hard drive, pray that it will be useful for
> this task.
>
> Failing that, you now need to buy Partition Magic.

Lilly:
When you formatted your USB external hard drive you did create a single
partition encompassing the entire capacity of that drive. That is why you
cannot create additional partition(s) using Disk Management at this point.
You could do this with a third-party partitioning program such as Partition
Magic by shrinking the current partition and creating additional partitions
in the remaining space. However, since there is no data on that external
hard drive, you can start from the beginning in Disk Management and achieve
your objective in creating multiple partitions on your external hard drive,
as follows:

1. In Disk Management, right-click on the external hard drive's drive
letter in the upper pane and click on "Delete Partition".
2. A message will appear "...All data on the partition will be lost. Are
you sure you want to delete this partition?" Click Yes.
3. The partition will be immediately deleted. The external drive capacity
will reflect 160 GB (actually about 149 GB) as "Unallocated".
4. Right-click on the unallocated region and click "New Partition".
5. The "New Partition Wizard" will open. Click Next.
6. Select the Primary partition option and click Next.
7. In the "Specify Partition Size" window that opens, specify the size of
the first partition you wish to create. For example, if you want your first
partition to have a size of 80 GB, enter 80000 MB in the "Partition size in
MB" box. Click Next.
8. In the "Assign Drive Letter..." window that opens, assign a drive letter
to the partition you are about to create. Click Next.
9. The "Format Partition" window will open. Select desired options and
click Next.
10. Review your settings in the next window and if OK, click Finish.
11. The Disk Management window will open, indicating the partition you have
created is being formatted. After the formatting has been completed, the
bottom pane will reflect the partition size and the "Unallocated" space
remaining on the drive.
12. Repeat the process from step 4. for each additional partition you wish
to create.
13. Reboot the computer and verify that your external drive has been
partitioned and formatted correctly and is recognized in the system.

Art

Thanks Art,

I followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly. My drive is
now partitioned and functions nicely.

Lilly