Opps, make that A7V266-E & AMD Athlon XP 2600+

jmac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002

OK, bear with me, I only do this kind of thing on rare occasions.

I'm thinking of upgrading my A7V266-e with a new CPU. If I got it figured
out I can put an Athlon XP 2600+ fsb 266, in this board. I'd need to change
the Duron/Palomino jumper and upgrade BIOS to 1011.

When looking for a CPU to purchase I see 2 types a mobile version, Athlon
XP-M 2600+ 2.0GHz Barton and Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 266FSB.

I'm thinking I don't want the mobile CPU?

Any thoughts the group may have I'd love to hear. Anything else I need to be
aware of before doing this?

Thanks!

Hi,

JMac <frostydogNo@SPAMgmail.com> wrote:
#OK, bear with me, I only do this kind of thing on rare occasions.

Sure.

#I'm thinking of upgrading my A7V266-e with a new CPU. If I got it figured
#out I can put an Athlon XP 2600+ fsb 266, in this board. I'd need to change
#the Duron/Palomino jumper and upgrade BIOS to 1011.

I was in a similar situation a while ago. The Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz
266FSB was always overpriced because it represented the top of the
upgrade path for 266FSP Athlon XP's. You'll find the same thing at the
top end of non-Tualatin P3's, especially Slot 1's. You can buy a P4
400FSB with double the clock rate for the same price. Now that they are
almost totally obsolete, the prices have come down some but availability
is very difficult.

#Any thoughts the group may have I'd love to hear. Anything else I need to be
#aware of before doing this?

Yes. A new Socket 939/AGP motherboard and XP 64 2800+ CPU can be had
together for about $250, and it will use your old DDR266 ram and AGP 4x
video card until you can afford to replace them. Then you'll have a
system where the CPU upgrade path is still not topped-out yet.

If you wait too long, the only Socket 939's widely available will have
DDR2 and PCI-E video, making the jump more expensive.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!

TRENDING THREADS