Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

That sums up the entire industry. The prices aren't coming down. The
prices have remained the same for the past six months. They pay cheap
laborers in Asia a few cents an hour to manufacture this hardware, and
then turn around and make a 1000% profit. I'd love to see this turned
on them. (e.g. mass produced hardware flood the market via Asia) One
look at the prices they're charging for video cards is all you need to
realize this.

"aether" wrote:
> That sums up the entire industry. The prices aren't coming down. The
> prices have remained the same for the past six months. They pay cheap
> laborers in Asia a few cents an hour to manufacture this hardware, and
> then turn around and make a 1000% profit. I'd love to see this turned
> on them. (e.g. mass produced hardware flood the market via Asia) One
> look at the prices they're charging for video cards is all you need to
> realize this.

Okay, comrade.

Jon

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:00:53 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
<jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Okay, comrade.
>
>Jon

Ya, every home will have a CBJ10 model computer installed at the price
of ten Copeks per year. Oh, and Government agency logging software is
freely installed too.

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That sums up the entire industry. The prices aren't coming down. The
> prices have remained the same for the past six months. They pay cheap
> laborers in Asia a few cents an hour to manufacture this hardware, and
> then turn around and make a 1000% profit. I'd love to see this turned
> on them. (e.g. mass produced hardware flood the market via Asia) One
> look at the prices they're charging for video cards is all you need to
> realize this.

What about R&D?
If we follow your logic all semi-conductor products should be free becuase
the raw material is "sand".

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

It's bound to happen, anyway. Massive importation via Asia countries
will bring down the prices, eventually. PC prices, the price of
components, memory, etc.. are not falling. They are at a standstill, or
increasing. A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If
that's not a form of larceny, what is? For a video card that will be
obsolete in less than three, perhaps two, years.

The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market. They
must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This results
in overpricing. (e.g. theft)

John Russell wrote:
> What about R&D?
> If we follow your logic all semi-conductor products should be free
> becuase the raw material is "sand".

Exactly. It's like saying that software should be free, 'cos you can get it
online using electrons that are recyclable.

Ben

"Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> John Russell wrote:
>> What about R&D?
>> If we follow your logic all semi-conductor products should be free
>> becuase the raw material is "sand".
>
> Exactly. It's like saying that software should be free, 'cos you can get
> it online using electrons that are recyclable.

That's right. The manufacturing cost of software is naff all, the price of a
cd! What your paying for is a "share" of the interlectual effort required to
"design" the software.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

VIdeo cards?

The newer video cards are, in fact, a very powerful computer-on-a-board. The
GPU is actually more powerful than most current CPUs. Video cards are one of
the better bargains to be had today. You wanna carp about prices? Start with
memory. No reason in the world that vanilla DDR should cost what it does.

aether wrote:

> A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000.

You can get an nVidia 6800 Ultra for about $500. Where do you come up with
$1000? Are you talking about a professionaly level GL card? That has
nothing to do with home based PC's.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

On 20 Feb 2005 13:25:24 -0800, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If
>that's not a form of larceny, what is?

This is a pretty close to top end gamers card. It's less than half of
what you quoted.

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-bit, Dual
DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "256-A8-N345-AX" -RETAIL $439.00

>>>No, it's primarily because of customers.<<<

There's collusion within the industry, on all fronts. There's a market
for the product, and the collusion is to take in as much profit as
possible in order to increase earnings and please the shareholders.

>>>Rofl, get a life. It's hardly theft if the buyer willingly hands
over the
money. It's a transaction is what it is, and if there are people
willing to
pay that sort of money for a graphics card, there's no reason why
companies
shouldn't satisfy that demand.

The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com <<<

It's apparent where your vested interests lie.

aether wrote:

> It's bound to happen, anyway. Massive importation via Asia countries
> will bring down the prices, eventually. PC prices, the price of
> components, memory, etc.. are not falling. They are at a standstill, or
> increasing. A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If
> that's not a form of larceny, what is? For a video card that will be
> obsolete in less than three, perhaps two, years.
>
> The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market. They
> must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This results
> in overpricing. (e.g. theft)

Then why don't you start a company selling 'cheap' computers and, since
everyone will beat a path to your door, get rich?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message...
>A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If that's not a form
> of larceny, what is?

If you don't want to pay that amount of money, there are plenty of cheaper
products. If you want to live on the bleeding edge, and have the absolute
fastest, you will have to pay top dollar for it. That's market forces.

> For a video card that will be obsolete in less than three, perhaps
> two, years.

The video card market is only turning over at the rate it is because there
are plenty of gamers and benchmark wankers out there prepared to pay for the
latest and greatest. If you don't want to pay, nobody's forcing you.

> The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market.

No, it's primarily because of customers.

> They must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This
> results in overpricing.

....but if they price the products out of the market, nobody buys the
merchandise, no profits, and no stock value.

> (e.g. theft)

Rofl, get a life. It's hardly theft if the buyer willingly hands over the
money. It's a transaction is what it is, and if there are people willing to
pay that sort of money for a graphics card, there's no reason why companies
shouldn't satisfy that demand.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

papa

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

> It's hardly theft if the buyer willingly hands over the
> money. It's a transaction is what it is, and if there are people willing
> to pay that sort of money for a graphics card, there's no reason why
> companies shouldn't satisfy that demand.

Exactly. That's why Abercrombie and Fitch (clothing) is doing so well here
in the States. The teenage girls and their parents are slaves to that market
and pay the higher prices, while those who can think shop elsewhere and save
a bundle.

aether wrote:

> That sums up the entire industry. The prices aren't coming down. The
> prices have remained the same for the past six months. They pay cheap
> laborers in Asia a few cents an hour to manufacture this hardware, and
> then turn around and make a 1000% profit. I'd love to see this turned
> on them. (e.g. mass produced hardware flood the market via Asia) One
> look at the prices they're charging for video cards is all you need to
> realize this.

Fab plants start at $1 billion.
$50 Graphics cards are faster than supercomputers of 20 years ago.

If you dont like capitalism move to North Korea.

gtoomey

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

Screw you, commie. You don't like the price then don't buy it.

DaveL

> It's bound to happen, anyway. Massive importation via Asia countries
> will bring down the prices, eventually. PC prices, the price of
> components, memory, etc.. are not falling. They are at a standstill, or
> increasing. A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If
> that's not a form of larceny, what is? For a video card that will be
> obsolete in less than three, perhaps two, years.
>
> The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market. They
> must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This results
> in overpricing. (e.g. theft)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

is some big bad meany forcing you to buy or is it just your tiny little ego
driving you(pun) to have the fastest mostest on the block?
BTW the board wasobsolescent last week.

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's bound to happen, anyway. Massive importation via Asia countries
> will bring down the prices, eventually. PC prices, the price of
> components, memory, etc.. are not falling. They are at a standstill, or
> increasing. A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If
> that's not a form of larceny, what is? For a video card that will be
> obsolete in less than three, perhaps two, years.
>
> The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market. They
> must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This results
> in overpricing. (e.g. theft)

yes you're right how did you figure it out? It is a conspiracy. Every
store, every mail order knows about you and when you wan to buy they
quickly triple the price. The rest of us are getting the best on the market
for $50 AND free shipping!

> There's collusion within the industry, on all fronts. There's a market
> for the product, and the collusion is to take in as much profit as
> possible in order to increase earnings and please the shareholders.

> over the
> money. It's a transaction is what it is, and if there are people
> willing to
> pay that sort of money for a graphics card, there's no reason why
> companies
> shouldn't satisfy that demand.
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com <<<
>
> It's apparent where your vested interests lie.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

you mean like Dell?
"David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
> aether wrote:
>
> > It's bound to happen, anyway. Massive importation via Asia countries
> > will bring down the prices, eventually. PC prices, the price of
> > components, memory, etc.. are not falling. They are at a standstill, or
> > increasing. A top-flight video card will cost you nearly $1,000. If
> > that's not a form of larceny, what is? For a video card that will be
> > obsolete in less than three, perhaps two, years.
> >
> > The reason for this, mostly, is shareholders and the stock market. They
> > must increase their profit every quarter to please them. This results
> > in overpricing. (e.g. theft)
> >

> Then why don't you start a company selling 'cheap' computers and, since
> everyone will beat a path to your door, get rich?

"aether" wrote

> There's collusion within the industry, on all fronts. There's a market
> for the product, and the collusion is to take in as much profit as
> possible in order to increase earnings and please the shareholders.

You mean the computer industry isn't run by the Salvation Army as a charity?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

It's absolutely amazing. There are people defending these prices. Their
only defense is, lame attempts at insulting, or "don't buy it." There
are still 128 MB Radeon 9800 cards being sold for over $250 dollars. An
amazing $100 dollar drop from their average release date price, over
two years ago. I need not mention the price of memory, which is almost
comical. Unless you want the cheapest memory available, and little of
it, be prepared to spend at least $300 on memory. I'd love to see this
monopoly destroyed somehow. C'mon, Chinese! Start your own companies
and flood the market! You're already making all the products.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

>>>No one is defending a particular price. They're simply pointing out
your
lack of understanding about markets.<<<

I've read the responses, all of them. I understand everything that's
been said. I'm telling you the prices created by this market are
outrageous, and it shows no sign of letting up. Prices continue to
increase. The increases in the price of memory have been steady for the
past five years.

papa

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

You are so wise, and you show such sophistication. Have you ever thought
about going into the Diplomatic Corps?

aether wrote:

> your
> lack of understanding about markets.<<<
>
> I've read the responses, all of them. I understand everything that's
> been said.

Apparently not.

> I'm telling you the prices created by this market are
> outrageous,

You seem to think that just because you don't like 'prices' then that's
'proof' of something, but it's not. Other than you don't like prices.

> and it shows no sign of letting up. Prices continue to
> increase.

Maybe they should. Where is it written that things should be priced just to
suit YOU?

> The increases in the price of memory have been steady for the
> past five years.

Your 'solutions' are fly off the handle and shoot self in foot kind of
things. Flood the market, flood the market, cheap, cheap... yeah yeah.
Which also puts companies out of business and people out of work.

Things were real damn cheap during the Depression too but I hardly think of
that as a 'solution' to anything.

Let me pose a hypothetical example to illustrate how simplistic and short
sighted your 'outrage' is. A plant that makes memory chips can also make
other kinds of chips; say chips for cell phones. Cell phone market
increases and plant can make money with cell phone chips, which is a good
thing because people like to buy cell phones. Increase in cell phone chip
production lowers cell phone pricing but increases memory pricing because
that production is lowered from the shift to cell phone chips. You scream
about memory prices, force people to make more memory chips to satisfy your
'outrage', and cell phone prices increase because of the reverse shift in
production you forced. So now you scream about cell phone prices and want
to force more things, which screws up something else which you, of course,
scream about.

Meanwhile, if you were actually able to forces these things, you'd be
destroying the capital for plant expansion and product development, running
companies out of business, and putting people out of work. And out of work
people have a hard time buying things even at 'non outrageous' prices so
volume decreases and cost per unit goes up, which causes more layoffs, or
wage deflation, and a raft full of other equally undesirable consequences.

On the other hand, if prices really are 'outrageous' then someone will get
the bright idea to make money by selling into that market, by either a
production shift or the building of new plants, at a lower price and reap
profits from the volume. And if they try to make 'too much' profit someone
else will undercut them to take market share. That is, until the price
drops so low that the next guy decides he can make more money in the cell
phone market rather than make memory chips. Which is a good thing because
we don't want super expensive cell phones, now do we? Or maybe they'll make
GPS chips because, after all, we don't want 'outrageous' GPS prices either.
Or maybe they'll make GPU chips. Or maybe the investor will say to hell
with the volatile, low profit, chip industry and invest in geothermal home
heating units, or party balloons, or who the hell knows what? But, whatever
it is, I'm sure you don't want 'outrageous' prices there either so it's a
good thing someone is investing in it.