P4P800-VM no boot after bios upgrade?

Today I decided to upgrade my bios with the help of the Asus Flash
Bios software in XP. I let it download the newst software and bios.
Then I let it flash the new bios and reboot. Then nothing happend for
about 25minutes. I tried to reboot it again. Just a black screen
appeared. ?
I tried to run the Asus recovery CD with the org. bios. Not luck. Iv
reset the bios by the jumper. Still I cant get access to the bios.
The Ide drives spins up allright. Im running a tft monitor on a Radeon
9200 AGP with DVI.
Iv also tried an CRT monitor connected to the bulit in vga card.
No luck.

How the h... do I get Access to the bios again????

Please help

Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 boot bios upgrade

    Dan Stanley wrote:
    > Today I decided to upgrade my bios with the help of the Asus Flash
    > Bios software in XP. I let it download the newst software and bios.
    > Then I let it flash the new bios and reboot. Then nothing happend for
    > about 25minutes. I tried to reboot it again. Just a black screen
    > appeared. ?
    > I tried to run the Asus recovery CD with the org. bios. Not luck. Iv
    > reset the bios by the jumper. Still I cant get access to the bios.
    > The Ide drives spins up allright. Im running a tft monitor on a Radeon
    > 9200 AGP with DVI.
    > Iv also tried an CRT monitor connected to the bulit in vga card.
    > No luck.
    >
    > How the h... do I get Access to the bios again????
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > Dan

    I had the same problem as yours and switched the CPU from a P4-E 3.0Ghz
    to a P4-C 3.0GHz and it seems to detect the change of CPU and reset
    everything and booted.

    So If you have another CPU somewhere try to swap it.

    In article <f126d9d7.0502200713.543db135@posting.google.com>,
    rebel.inc@gmail.com (Dan Stanley) wrote:

    > Today I decided to upgrade my bios with the help of the Asus Flash
    > Bios software in XP. I let it download the newst software and bios.
    > Then I let it flash the new bios and reboot. Then nothing happend for
    > about 25minutes. I tried to reboot it again. Just a black screen
    > appeared. ?
    > I tried to run the Asus recovery CD with the org. bios. Not luck. Iv
    > reset the bios by the jumper. Still I cant get access to the bios.
    > The Ide drives spins up allright. Im running a tft monitor on a Radeon
    > 9200 AGP with DVI.
    > Iv also tried an CRT monitor connected to the bulit in vga card.
    > No luck.
    >
    > How the h... do I get Access to the bios again????
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > Dan

    Reach into your wallet and remove $25 in currency.

    Visit www.badflash.com

    The safest way to flash the BIOS, is via MSDOS boot floppy and
    a copy of the flashing program (AFUDOS211.zip). The BIOS can
    be found on the download page as well.

    Read the warnings next to each BIOS release. Click the "More" button
    to read the release notes for the BIOS. For example, there is no
    point in using the Windows flasher, if you are specifically
    warned not to use it. That is why, visiting the download page
    is a good idea, no matter what flasher you use.
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4P800-VM&Type=All&SLanguage=en-us

    Now that it is messed up, you need to remove the PLCC flash BIOS
    chip from its socket. This Radio Shack tool makes the removal
    easy ($10). Make careful note of the orientation. The chip will
    have a dot on it, and it likely lines up with a triangle on the
    PLCC socket. Don't remove the chip, until you have the replacement
    chip in hand. Push the new chip into the socket with your thumb,
    being careful to push down on all side equally, until the chip is
    seated. The amount of force required, might make this safer to do
    with the motherboard out of the case, and supported underneath the
    flash chip socket area. (Virgin sockets are a tight fit.)

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=276-2101
    The Radio Shack tool fits underneath the diagonal corners of the
    chip, and allows you to pull up on it. Try to pull up equally, to
    avoid bending any pins. The chip removal can be done with a pointed
    tool, but the PLCC remover makes it a lot easier.

    Read the section here on PLCCs.
    http://www.badflash.com/removbio.htm

    Note that there is nothing really wrong with the old chip. If you
    have the patience, you can save some money by sending the old
    chip in, and having it reflashed ($18 reprogramming charge versus
    $25 to have a new programmed chip sent to you, but there would
    be shipping charge on your end as well). You may even find that a
    local computer store can do the reflash, but I have no idea what
    they would charge.

    There are other fiddly methods, but they hardly ever work for people.
    Do some Googling for "hot flash" or "boot block" flashing, if
    you really think one of those methods are going to work for you.

    Paul

    In article <nospam-2002051122190001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
    (Paul) wrote:

    > In article <f126d9d7.0502200713.543db135@posting.google.com>,
    > rebel.inc@gmail.com (Dan Stanley) wrote:
    >
    > > Today I decided to upgrade my bios with the help of the Asus Flash
    > > Bios software in XP. I let it download the newst software and bios.
    > > Then I let it flash the new bios and reboot. Then nothing happend for
    > > about 25minutes. I tried to reboot it again. Just a black screen
    > > appeared. ?
    > > I tried to run the Asus recovery CD with the org. bios. Not luck. Iv
    > > reset the bios by the jumper. Still I cant get access to the bios.
    > > The Ide drives spins up allright. Im running a tft monitor on a Radeon
    > > 9200 AGP with DVI.
    > > Iv also tried an CRT monitor connected to the bulit in vga card.
    > > No luck.
    > >
    > > How the h... do I get Access to the bios again????
    > >
    > > Please help
    > >
    > > Dan

    If you are feeling really lucky, you could try the clear
    the CMOS procedure (section 1.11 of the manual - jumper
    CLRTC). Unplug the computer before trying it. But likely
    the flash chip is erased, and there is no code in there
    for the processor to execute.

    Paul

Asus BIOS Motherboards