Inserting USB Storage Devices Restarts XP

I have an IBM Thinkpad T41.

Every time I insert any sort of USB storage device, I get a blue screen with
a message on it (it says something about accessing memory, but it's so fast,
I can never capture it).

The storage device can be a USB memory stick (I've tried PNY Attache' and
Minidisk), a compact Flash card reader, and a Nikon Coolpix 4300 camera)

I don't get the same behavior when I insert any other sort of USB device
(such as a mouse or a keyboard.)

I have updated the BIOS and the Embedded Controller Program. I have
downloaded and installed all Windows Updates.

I have uninstalled and allowed Windows XP to detect and reinstall the USB
devices in device manager.

Any idea of what could be wrong?
2 answers Last reply
More about inserting storage devices restarts

    Nope, not a clue :)

    Just kidding, I can't say exactly what is wrong, but I can suggest a few
    things. Here is a link to all of the updates for your product (I know
    you said you updated them already, but just in case):
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/dlsearch.wss?lang=en&loc=en-US&ics=iso-8859-1&cs=utf-8&rs=0&cc=us&q=IBM+Thinkpad+T41&dc=&submit.x=100&submit.y=15

    Also, have you tried each device in each USB port and seen if they cause
    different results in different ports? It could be that one of the ports
    is faulty. A good workaround may be to get a USB 2.0 Hub, and connect
    that to the good USB port and then connect everything to the hub. That
    is a suggestion if nothing else works.

    I would also run that PC Doctor provided for your Thinkpad and finally,
    I would uninstall your embedded controller software and reinstall them
    to see if that helps.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    funnybroad wrote:
    > I have an IBM Thinkpad T41.
    >
    > Every time I insert any sort of USB storage device, I get a blue screen with
    > a message on it (it says something about accessing memory, but it's so fast,
    > I can never capture it).
    >
    > The storage device can be a USB memory stick (I've tried PNY Attache' and
    > Minidisk), a compact Flash card reader, and a Nikon Coolpix 4300 camera)
    >
    > I don't get the same behavior when I insert any other sort of USB device
    > (such as a mouse or a keyboard.)
    >
    > I have updated the BIOS and the Embedded Controller Program. I have
    > downloaded and installed all Windows Updates.
    >
    > I have uninstalled and allowed Windows XP to detect and reinstall the USB
    > devices in device manager.
    >
    > Any idea of what could be wrong?

    Yep... got all the updates.

    Yep... tried a USB hub, tried only plugging in 1 usb device at a time...
    tried both slots.... no love.

    I ran PC Doctor provided

    But I didn't uninstall & reinstall my embedded controller software. I will
    try that & let you know how it goes.

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Nope, not a clue :)
    >
    > Just kidding, I can't say exactly what is wrong, but I can suggest a few
    > things. Here is a link to all of the updates for your product (I know
    > you said you updated them already, but just in case):
    > http://www-1.ibm.com/support/dlsearch.wss?lang=en&loc=en-US&ics=iso-8859-1&cs=utf-8&rs=0&cc=us&q=IBM+Thinkpad+T41&dc=&submit.x=100&submit.y=15
    >
    > Also, have you tried each device in each USB port and seen if they cause
    > different results in different ports? It could be that one of the ports
    > is faulty. A good workaround may be to get a USB 2.0 Hub, and connect
    > that to the good USB port and then connect everything to the hub. That
    > is a suggestion if nothing else works.
    >
    > I would also run that PC Doctor provided for your Thinkpad and finally,
    > I would uninstall your embedded controller software and reinstall them
    > to see if that helps.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > funnybroad wrote:
    > > I have an IBM Thinkpad T41.
    > >
    > > Every time I insert any sort of USB storage device, I get a blue screen with
    > > a message on it (it says something about accessing memory, but it's so fast,
    > > I can never capture it).
    > >
    > > The storage device can be a USB memory stick (I've tried PNY Attache' and
    > > Minidisk), a compact Flash card reader, and a Nikon Coolpix 4300 camera)
    > >
    > > I don't get the same behavior when I insert any other sort of USB device
    > > (such as a mouse or a keyboard.)
    > >
    > > I have updated the BIOS and the Embedded Controller Program. I have
    > > downloaded and installed all Windows Updates.
    > >
    > > I have uninstalled and allowed Windows XP to detect and reinstall the USB
    > > devices in device manager.
    > >
    > > Any idea of what could be wrong?

Storage USB Devices Windows XP