my hard drive

i'm having trouble with my pc reading my hard drive. it's
160GB but my pc only says it has 127GB on it. i think it
has something to do with windows xp. thats what hitachi
told me . hitachi is the manufacturer of my hard drive.
can someone help me. they told me something about windows
xp and 137GB hard drive or less. someone please help me.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have a look here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

Neil
"j-dawg1" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i'm having trouble with my pc reading my hard drive. it's
> 160GB but my pc only says it has 127GB on it. i think it
> has something to do with windows xp. thats what hitachi
> told me . hitachi is the manufacturer of my hard drive.
> can someone help me. they told me something about windows
> xp and 137GB hard drive or less. someone please help me.

Very simply stated, update your computer through Windows Update. You
need to install Service Pack 1 (and Service Pack 2 when it comes out
within the next week or so). Finally, what does your BIOS say? When
you first turn on your computer, what does the screen say for your hard
drive? If your BIOS is not 48bit LBA or has that option disabled, you
are not going to ever see past 137 GB unless you either enable it or use
a controller card/drive overlay utility.

----
Nathan McNulty