Can't Share Files

lHi,
I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to the
new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet through
Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are XP.
Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless. What next
please.
TIA
J.J.
9 answers Last reply
More about share files

    J.J.,
    You should be using a straight through not crossover cable, from the router to your PC.

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A4DA287-8355-4BBC-B91B-02BE7DE98B21@microsoft.com...
    lHi,
    I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to the
    new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet through
    Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are XP.
    Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless. What next
    please.
    TIA
    J.J.

    It's ethernet and it works so I might have described it wrongly in first
    post, sorry.
    Can you help?

    "RRR_News" wrote:

    > J.J.,
    > You should be using a straight through not crossover cable, from the router to your PC.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
    > Rich/rerat
    >
    > (RRR News) <message rule>
    > <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
    >

    > "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A4DA287-8355-4BBC-B91B-02BE7DE98B21@microsoft.com...
    > lHi,
    > I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to the
    > new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet through
    > Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are XP.
    > Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless. What next
    > please.
    > TIA
    > J.J.

    www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > lHi,
    > I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to the
    > new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet
    > through
    > Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are XP.
    > Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless. What
    > next
    > please.
    > TIA
    > J.J.

    Hi Carey,
    your instructions did the trick. Thankyou very much.
    J.J.

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > lHi,
    > > I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to the
    > > new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet
    > > through
    > > Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are XP.
    > > Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless. What
    > > next
    > > please.
    > > TIA
    > > J.J.

    one last question, though windows firewall is on, on both PC's, do I still
    need to reload zonealarm to both and will I need to turn on encryption (WEP)
    on the wireless connection?
    TIA
    J.J.

    "J.J." wrote:

    > Hi Carey,
    > your instructions did the trick. Thankyou very much.
    > J.J.
    >
    > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >
    > > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    > >
    > > Carey
    > >
    > > "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > lHi,
    > > > I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to the
    > > > new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet
    > > > through
    > > > Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are XP.
    > > > Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless. What
    > > > next
    > > > please.
    > > > TIA
    > > > J.J.

    Hi

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > lHi,
    > I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to the
    > new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet
    through
    > Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are XP.
    > Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless. What
    next
    > please.
    > TIA
    > J.J.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Cheers Jack, I've incorporated some of your advice also.
    J.J.

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > lHi,
    > > I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to the
    > > new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet
    > through
    > > Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are XP.
    > > Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless. What
    > next
    > > please.
    > > TIA
    > > J.J.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    You're very welcome! Please sign my guestbook at www.careyholzman.com (the
    link is in the lower-left corner).

    Thanks!
    Carey

    > Hi Carey,
    > your instructions did the trick. Thankyou very much.
    > J.J.
    >
    > "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >
    >> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>
    >> "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > lHi,
    >> > I've managed to get my desktop and wireless laptop to log on to
    >> > the
    >> > new Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch. Both can access the internet
    >> > through
    >> > Router but can't get either to see each other to share files. Both are
    >> > XP.
    >> > Desktop is crossover connection to Router while laptop is Wireless.
    >> > What
    >> > next
    >> > please.
    >> > TIA
    >> > J.J.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    You do not need zonealarm. Just use the Windows firewall.

    As for WEP, yes, I would encourage you to enable it.

    Carey

    > one last question, though windows firewall is on, on both PC's, do I still
    > need to reload zonealarm to both and will I need to turn on encryption
    > (WEP)
    > on the wireless connection?
    > TIA
    > J.J.
    >
    > "J.J." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Carey,
    >> your instructions did the trick. Thankyou very much.
    >> J.J.
    >>
    >> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
    >>
    >> > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >> >
    >> > Carey