Warning: Intel's Ultrabook Marketing is "Cinematic and Epic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Lame idea Intel. Instead of bashing desktops (your bread and butter), why not just show how equally nice and useful the ultrabooks are? They sure are nicer and more functional (and durable) than tablets. A nice form factor with a built in screen protector (lol) and a real keyboard... wow, amazing. Tablets suck for anything but surfing the web, casual games and very short email replies.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
"Ultrabook" is such a stupid name. There's nothing "ultra" about them! The Macbook Air has been around since 2008 or so with their whole "Ooh, look at me, I can fit into an envelope" ads, and they're just now coming up with this crap?

Sorry, Intel. You missed your window there, buddy...

So this is the best they come up with? Cowboy and Aliens? I thought they had cash to spare, but this is plain throwing it down the drain.

I think this money would've been better spent making the notebooks cheaper for OEMs and consumers.

Cheers!

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
We really have actually no need for something between a tablet and a normal notebook.

This ultrabook stuff are just light laptops.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Dspider intel did not miss anything when it comes to the air. Its intel inside.
What they have missed or have not yet tried is the Pads.
Pay attenction

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Marketing should have solid footing in reality to bring in sustainable success. I doubt the Ultrabook concept will carry such epic advantage or leapfrog advancement to end users eventually. I'm scratching my head while trying to find anything new there. If this Ultrabook had come to market 5 years earlier with the same price level, I might be bought up by the cinematic and epic marketing. Now that I get used to many under- $900 performance laptops, this is nothing but to squeeze the market in order to compensate dipping pocket due to sagging market growth.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
At the bottom line, Intel doesn't care who makes the computers with their CPU's. A sale to Apple or a Sale to Asus is the same to them. The Ultrabook concept was a nice idea, to get people thinking about something that computer manufacturers could actually turn a profit on for a change. But the race to the bottom, with all the cheap crappy parts that entails got started way too fast for it to have any real impact.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
There are people looking forward to the Ultrabook (but not the Ultrabook we see today). It should in the near future replace both the "touch" tablets and the full blown "keyboard" laptops. It's all about performance and portability all integrated into ONE! This won't appeal to the DIY desktop gurus.

[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]"Ultrabook" is such a stupid name. There's nothing "ultra" about them! The Macbook Air has been around since 2008 or so with their whole "Ooh, look at me, I can fit into an envelope" ads, and they're just now coming up with this crap?Sorry, Intel. You missed your window there, buddy...[/citation]
... You do realize that the Macbook Air runs on Intel. They missed nothing.
Besides, the macbook air is/was more akin to a netbook than a notebook. These ultrabooks are supposed to have the speed/capability of a notebook, but in a much thinner (not necessarily smaller height/width) package. Also, some of these are thinner than the Air... which is nothing but impressive.

Still, you won't find me using one any time soon as I have a hard time justifying hauling around a $1000 item that can sprout legs. It's $300 netbooks and a monster desktop for me. Great combination that has worked well for me for a few years now :) But in time as prices fall I could see myself getting an ultra book in 3-5 years... but by then I bet companies will not make traditional notebook/laptops anymore. The PC isn't dead... the traditional laptop is.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
So, they start this campaign and if the succeed, they succeed in decreasing desktop sales? Interesting. This seems counter-productive to me.

While they may convince desktop users who only use their desktop for the mundane, I highly doubt that they will convince power user, gamer, or workstation desktop users to switch to an Ultrabook.

My wife bought a Toshiba Z835-P330 "Ultrabook." While it is a very nice laptop, she still uses her desktop for Excel because of the "extra space" on her 24" monitor.

Personally, I cannot conceive of running some of the apps I have on a present-day Ultrabook no matter how much chipzilla tries to convince me that Ultrabooks are as capable or better than a desktop. Then again, I consider myself in the power user class.

G

Why not show some I7 commercials or better yet release the new CPUs :D

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
So, they start this campaign and if the succeed, they succeed in decreasing desktop sales? Interesting. This seems counter-productive to me.
If Intel does succeed in decreasing desktop sales, their ultrabook is going to have a hard time competing with AMD's ultrathin's when it comes to price and graphics performance. Why get a fast processor and a slow gpu when you can moderate speed processor and a fast gpu for less money.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Flinstone56001[/nom]but can it play Crysis ?[/citation]
No it cant play Crysis, why even ask when you it can't. Now if where talking about Ultrathis's from amd, that's a whole different story.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
We may be seeing the beginning of Intel's demise. Someone up there devised a plan, which could have been great a few year earlier, but too late to be successful. It seems that Intel doesn't have internal voice strong enough to override the faulty idea, and keep wasting a lot, instead of correcting it. I'm not saying that the failure of the platform itself will derail such a big giant, but I'm more interested in long-term consequences of the corporate culture that has allowed such venture that is so risky but not wouldn't be rewarding even if it turns out as a success. Their strategy department should be either delusional, or dysfunctional.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Wisecracker[/nom]I hope Intel does not have a tough time explaining how 'A New Era of Computing' is spelled ...T-R-I-N-I-T-Y[/citation]

They don't. All it takes is a few dozen million dollars of advertising to smear AMD's existence in the mobile sector. Besides, Popular Science stated that Sandy Bridge had a great CPU/GPU balance (lol), mentioned Ivy Bridge, but mentioned nothing about AMD.

halcyon

Splendid
I don't know, but i think the vast majority of folks that would be in the market for an Ultrabook already have a MacBook Air or want one. While its intriguing to see some of these thin-n-lights the Asus Zenbooks and the Delll XPS look the best to me.

obsama1

Distinguished
AMD will rule in the mobile/laptop market. Yeah, CPU performance isn't quite there, but the graphics in Trinity will be great. We just need better battery tech, and we can play games like BF3 and Crysis on the go!

Status
Not open for further replies.