Floppy A: drive won't display

I'm running Windows XP Home with two floppies. Recently, I
removed floppy drive A: because of malfunction and decided
not to replace it and only use the remaining floppy drive
B: as the new A: drive. I reset the CMOS floppy drive
setting (set B: to NONE and A: to 1.4 MB, 3.5" floppy). I
also uninstalled the floppy drive driver in WinXP, reboot
the machine and reinstalled the driver. The floppy drive,
however, is not assigned the A: designation and, instead,
continues to display as drive B:, even though drive B: was
removed in the CMOS. I've even removed the floppy driver,
completely reset the CMOS, and removed the floppy ribbon
connector cable, then rebooted. After reinstalling
everything and rebooting, floppy drive A: still displays
as drive B: in My Computer. The drive A: letter does not
display in my list of drives.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Marc Alansworth

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 15:19:10 -0700, "Marc Alansworth"

>I'm running Windows XP Home with two floppies. Recently, I
>removed floppy drive A: because of malfunction and decided
>not to replace it and only use the remaining floppy drive
>B: as the new A: drive. I reset the CMOS floppy drive
>setting (set B: to NONE and A: to 1.4 MB, 3.5" floppy). I
>also uninstalled the floppy drive driver in WinXP, reboot
>the machine and reinstalled the driver. The floppy drive,
>however, is not assigned the A: designation and, instead,
>continues to display as drive B:, even though drive B: was
>removed in the CMOS. I've even removed the floppy driver,
>completely reset the CMOS, and removed the floppy ribbon
>connector cable, then rebooted. After reinstalling
>everything and rebooting, floppy drive A: still displays
>as drive B: in My Computer. The drive A: letter does not
>display in my list of drives.
>
>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Marc Alansworth

You need to change the drive's position on the ribbon cable.

Connect that B drive on the end of the cable...where the A drive used
to be.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Thanks, but that didn't do the trick. I even connected a
new cable for a single floppy drive and that didn't work
either. The floppy still displays as drive B: instead of
A:.

Marc

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:19:30 -0700,

>Thanks, but that didn't do the trick. I even connected a
>new cable for a single floppy drive and that didn't work
>either. The floppy still displays as drive B: instead of
>A:.
>
>Marc

Do you by chance have 'swap floppy drive letters' turned on in the
BIOS?