External Hard drive not installing?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I recently bought a rather cheap off brand harddrive case
and put a Western Digital 80gb hard drive in it. The case
says it's configured for usb 2.0 and 1.1 which my compaq
presario 2100 notebook is. It also says all i should have
to do it plug in the device and it should auto-recognize
and install the drivers. But nothing happens when i plug it in.

Please help!

bar

OK without any idea as to what you've done. Try:
1. Power on the PC - boot up to XP
2. Plug in the USB device
3. Turn on power
4. Windows should then identify new device
5. If it doesn't 'see' any new device then check the plugs connections etc
in the USB case
6. If all is connected correctly it should find the device and require you
to configure the HDD. Use device manager, partition, format and assign a
drive letter

You may also need a USB 2 update, but this shouldn't stop the device from
being identified, it'll just run at USB 1 speeds.

KB822603
This update addresses the "Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and
2.0 Update" issue in Windows XP, download to install the Windows XP SP1 USB
1.1 and 2.0 update. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer.

"Michael" wrote:

> I recently bought a rather cheap off brand harddrive case
> and put a Western Digital 80gb hard drive in it. The case
> says it's configured for usb 2.0 and 1.1 which my compaq
> presario 2100 notebook is. It also says all i should have
> to do it plug in the device and it should auto-recognize
> and install the drivers. But nothing happens when i plug it in.
>
> Please help!

I think BAR meant Disk Management to partition, format, etc. Looks like
he is as tired as me :)

Anyways, Disk Management: Right click on My Computer, click Manage,
click Disk Management.

As for USB 2.0 Update, I would just update the whole computer on
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

----
Nathan McNulty