ATI All-In-Wonder and new hardware...

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001

Hello all,

Recently I installed an Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe with a P4
3.0E (hyper-threaded). Since that time, my ATI All-In-
Wonder 7500 video card has been malfunctioning. Three or
more times per Windows session, the screen goes black,
then comes back garbled, then goes black again, and
finally comes back to normal. It then displays a message
stating that "VPU Recover has reset your graphics
accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics
driver commands." After three to five of these instances,
the garbled screen will come back twice in a row, then
when it returns to normal, I get the above error, along
with one telling me that it was unable to reset hardware
rendering, and has switched to software rendering mode,
and that it will only change back after the computer is
restarted.

The error occurs when a window is scrolled. It could be
any window at all, it doesn't seem to be picky. In the
course of writing this message, the act of advancing the
text to the next line caused the error. From time to
time, the error will actually lock the entire computer up,
and either freeze completely or dump me into a stop
error. I don't always get an message from Windows when I
restart, but when I do, it always has something to do with
a video driver. I remember once that the drawing engine
stopped responding, and once that it got stuck in an
infinite loop.

I've contacted ATI by email twice about the matter, but
have yet to receive a response. I have no way of calling
them, as the only number they provide is Canadian. In my
searches of the ATI website, I noticed that there had been
an issue with the TV tuner on their cards and hyper-
threaded processors, but this seemed only to cause trouble
when the TV tuner was being used.

I've updated all the drivers for my video card and
motherboard, have used Windows Update to download all of
Microsoft's patches, and have searched both sites for
issues similar to mine, but to no avail.

I am desperate for a solution to my problems!

Three things. First, update your computer fully at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com . Second, update DirectX to 9.0c (not
on Windows Update yet) from http://www.microsoft.com/directx . Finally,
Update the ATI Graphics Card drivers from
http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystXPdriver.html .

----
Nathan McNulty

Zack wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Recently I installed an Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe with a P4
> 3.0E (hyper-threaded). Since that time, my ATI All-In-
> Wonder 7500 video card has been malfunctioning. Three or
> more times per Windows session, the screen goes black,
> then comes back garbled, then goes black again, and
> finally comes back to normal. It then displays a message
> stating that "VPU Recover has reset your graphics
> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics
> driver commands." After three to five of these instances,
> the garbled screen will come back twice in a row, then
> when it returns to normal, I get the above error, along
> with one telling me that it was unable to reset hardware
> rendering, and has switched to software rendering mode,
> and that it will only change back after the computer is
> restarted.
>
> The error occurs when a window is scrolled. It could be
> any window at all, it doesn't seem to be picky. In the
> course of writing this message, the act of advancing the
> text to the next line caused the error. From time to
> time, the error will actually lock the entire computer up,
> and either freeze completely or dump me into a stop
> error. I don't always get an message from Windows when I
> restart, but when I do, it always has something to do with
> a video driver. I remember once that the drawing engine
> stopped responding, and once that it got stuck in an
> infinite loop.
>
> I've contacted ATI by email twice about the matter, but
> have yet to receive a response. I have no way of calling
> them, as the only number they provide is Canadian. In my
> searches of the ATI website, I noticed that there had been
> an issue with the TV tuner on their cards and hyper-
> threaded processors, but this seemed only to cause trouble
> when the TV tuner was being used.
>
> I've updated all the drivers for my video card and
> motherboard, have used Windows Update to download all of
> Microsoft's patches, and have searched both sites for
> issues similar to mine, but to no avail.
>
> I am desperate for a solution to my problems!

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001

Thanks for your help...

I had already updated my ATI drivers, as well as
downloaded and installed all windowsupdate's available
updates. The only thing I hadn't done was upgrade to
DX9.0c, which I did this morning. Unfortunately, my
problem is still occurring.

Anyone else?

Reduce AGP from 8X or 4X to 2X
using your BIOS and/or SMARTGART (in
the Display>>Advanced dialogs). You may also
want to turn Fast Writes off (also in SMARTGART).

Sound like you're fighting a bum motherboard
implementation of AGP sideband addressing.

"Zack" <saberspark77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your help...
>
> I had already updated my ATI drivers, as well as
> downloaded and installed all windowsupdate's available
> updates. The only thing I hadn't done was upgrade to
> DX9.0c, which I did this morning. Unfortunately, my
> problem is still occurring.
>
> Anyone else?

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001

AGP has been reduced from 4x to 2x, only in SMARTGART
because I couldn't locate the setting in the BIOS. I
found video preference and AGP Aperture Size, but I'm not
sure that there is a setting for AGP speed. In any case,
all I notice by changing the setting in SMARTGART is an
evident decrease in performance. Fastwrite was already
turned off, and indeed cannot be turned on.

The one thing that I did notice when I was tooling around
in the BIOS was a feature that hadn't stuck out until
now..."Advanced HyperStreaming Engine," which was enabled
by default. According to Asus' website, the purpose of
this feature is to:

SiS HyperStremingT Technology, it makes streams of chipset
data flow all over the paths, Efficiently, Concurrently,
Smoothly and Intelligently. Further more, SiS655TX
Advanced HyperStreamingT Engine enhances the transfer rate
on the path from host block to memory controller block to
achieve the target that can improve whole system
performance.

Perhaps this, combined with my pre-HyperThreading video
card, has something to do with my difficulties?

And also, is there anything else that you recommend to fix
my problem, rather than taking away from the performance
of my existing video card? Or do you think that the
purchase of a new card is in order?

Zack,

Remove all ATI software and install these Catalyst drivers and MMC software.
You get them from "Previous Driver Versions" at the bottom of this page (or
any driver version for your OS and card )....

http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=16&submit.y=8

Use the Catalyst Uninstaller from here....

http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

These are the latest drivers / software updates for the AIW 7500 without
purchasing the version 8.1 disk or later (ATI quote for newer updates of MMC
- "* Requires original installation CD for RADEON®
9000/9200/9500/9600/9700/9800 series graphics adapters or MMC 8.1
installation CD to validate DVD decoder update.")

The disk can be purchased here...

http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=18

CATALYSTâ„¢ 3.1
Driver Build 6.14.01.6292
7-83-030120a1-007447c

Release Date: 02/10/2003

The ATI Catalyst 3.1 display driver bundle does not include ATI's
proprietary Display Panel controls. To obtain this support you will also
require the ATI Control Panels 6.14.10.4019 bundle (available in other
languages).

WDM Capture Driver version 6.14.01.6178v1 is required for capture support on
ALL-IN-WONDER and VIVO products.

CATALYSTâ„¢ 3.1 Multi-Language

ATI Multimedia Center 7.7.0.1

ATI DVD Player 7.6

Hydravision (optional) 3.20.2020

Remote Wonder Software 1.2 Upgrade

PS I have the same video card but with an MSI mobo and P4 Intel processer
(non hyperthread though). Latest updates from ATI work fine. Stick with
your AGP set at 4 and contact ATI via phone - sure it will likely cost you
$15 - $20 but what did you pay for your hardware?!? When I had what I
thought was software issues (turned out to be a defective video card that ATI
replaced c/w 5 year warranty) ATI tech support sent me an email listing how
to completely remove / install software
using safemode and registry edits.

Hope it helps,

r.

"Zack" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Recently I installed an Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe with a P4
> 3.0E (hyper-threaded). Since that time, my ATI All-In-
> Wonder 7500 video card has been malfunctioning. Three or
> more times per Windows session, the screen goes black,
> then comes back garbled, then goes black again, and
> finally comes back to normal. It then displays a message
> stating that "VPU Recover has reset your graphics
> accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics
> driver commands." After three to five of these instances,
> the garbled screen will come back twice in a row, then
> when it returns to normal, I get the above error, along
> with one telling me that it was unable to reset hardware
> rendering, and has switched to software rendering mode,
> and that it will only change back after the computer is
> restarted.
>
> The error occurs when a window is scrolled. It could be
> any window at all, it doesn't seem to be picky. In the
> course of writing this message, the act of advancing the
> text to the next line caused the error. From time to
> time, the error will actually lock the entire computer up,
> and either freeze completely or dump me into a stop
> error. I don't always get an message from Windows when I
> restart, but when I do, it always has something to do with
> a video driver. I remember once that the drawing engine
> stopped responding, and once that it got stuck in an
> infinite loop.
>
> I've contacted ATI by email twice about the matter, but
> have yet to receive a response. I have no way of calling
> them, as the only number they provide is Canadian. In my
> searches of the ATI website, I noticed that there had been
> an issue with the TV tuner on their cards and hyper-
> threaded processors, but this seemed only to cause trouble
> when the TV tuner was being used.
>
> I've updated all the drivers for my video card and
> motherboard, have used Windows Update to download all of
> Microsoft's patches, and have searched both sites for
> issues similar to mine, but to no avail.
>
> I am desperate for a solution to my problems!

You said you can not call ATI - try any of these ....

http://mirror.ati.com/support/customercare/premiumUSA.html?region=usa&cardType=ATI&prod=productsUSAATI&submit2.x=9&submit2.y=10

A phone number is a phone number no matter where your calling from.

P.S. what ver of Catalyst and MMC, DAO, DVD ,etc. are you using. I know
you said the latest, but the latest for all of the software add-ons as well?

r.