USB device problem with P4P800E Deluxe M/B

I have a USB 256MB flash drive. It works fine in an old Win98SE
system. It works fine in the backplane connectors on my new P4P800E
Deluxe WinXP system. But if I insert it in either of the front
connectors in the case I get the following error balloon:

USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this
computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

Clicking on the balloon calls up a table with the correct port
identified, and the above message repeated along with the advice:

Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it,
replace the device.

Now, I'm not about to replace the device - it works fine. And if
there is a fault in the port it's a very subtle one, because my
digital camera is recognized on the same port & I can download with no
problems. Any suggestions? It's a pest to pull the computer out to
access the back ports whenever I want to use the USB drive.
Dave Gillingham

Maximus

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

I had a bad experience with the front USB port)s which
literally burned the USB optical MO ( magneto-optical )
drive I plugged in. The drive was completely dead, just
in a matter of one or two seconds.

I don't trust the USB front port, whatever way.

Just get a 4-port or 2-port USB hub to connect from the
back and you can plug in easily. It also removes any headache.

----------
"Dave Gillingham" <dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> I have a USB 256MB flash drive. It works fine in an old Win98SE
> system. It works fine in the backplane connectors on my new P4P800E
> Deluxe WinXP system. But if I insert it in either of the front
> connectors in the case I get the following error balloon:
>
> USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this
> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.
>
> Clicking on the balloon calls up a table with the correct port
> identified, and the above message repeated along with the advice:
>
> Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it,
> replace the device.
>
> Now, I'm not about to replace the device - it works fine. And if
> there is a fault in the port it's a very subtle one, because my
> digital camera is recognized on the same port & I can download with no
> problems. Any suggestions? It's a pest to pull the computer out to
> access the back ports whenever I want to use the USB drive.
> Dave Gillingham
----
> To email me remove the .private from my email address.

sounds like maybe you've pin the cable wrong...it may have been enough
to cook it...
Was it a gang plug or 8 separate pins going to the front of the case ?

ñíñjà¤têç

-----END-PGP-SIGNATURE-----

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:38:19 +1000, Dave Gillingham
<dewg@private.optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>I have a USB 256MB flash drive. It works fine in an old Win98SE
>system. It works fine in the backplane connectors on my new P4P800E
>Deluxe WinXP system. But if I insert it in either of the front
>connectors in the case I get the following error balloon:
>
>USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this
>computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.
>
>Clicking on the balloon calls up a table with the correct port
>identified, and the above message repeated along with the advice:
>
>Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it,
>replace the device.
>
>Now, I'm not about to replace the device - it works fine. And if
>there is a fault in the port it's a very subtle one, because my
>digital camera is recognized on the same port & I can download with no
>problems. Any suggestions? It's a pest to pull the computer out to
>access the back ports whenever I want to use the USB drive.
>Dave Gillingham
>To email me remove the .private from my email address.

The cabling is fine - I can download from my digital camera with no
problems. It's simply seen as another detachable storage device.