The Top 5 Most Counterfeited Chip Types According to IHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Wonder where those come from...[/citation]
Typically China. A few years back the Air Force bought a ton of chips which turned out to be counterfeits from China.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

They come from "kitchen table" chip brokers who get them from China. Then the pentagon/contractors purchase from them because of federal rules encouraging "cheap and disadvantaged" suppliers ie people in their basements ordering their "stock" from ebay. Controls are already in place to ensure tracking of components from the factory through the distribution chain to the end user. It's only when companies take shortcuts that counterfeits slip in.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
It's like buying a Rolex from a guy in a back alley. You get what you pay for.
Remember, if it sounds too good to be true it prob. comes with a nasty catch.

G

more likely some insiders in fabs either get their hands on reject die or extra wafers slipped into the run and unaccounted for.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I was hoping "potato" was on the list. I can't remember the last time I bought a chip from a guy who had seen 'em fall out of a truck and was selling them out of his trunk.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"Uh Bob, the 1,000 chips we need to buy are priced at $10 per chip, but there's a cheaper source for only $7."

"BUY IT NOW!"

Such event turns into a false economy situation when the chips start failing left and right.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
many of this chips are probably made in what is known as a "midnight run." good chance there is no difference between the counterfeits and the originals. They are produced at the same facilities in off hours. Sometimes the materials that are used are questionable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.