Lap Top Hard Drive

I have been trying to install winxp on a alaptop upgrade for a client. What
happens is, I fdisk, format, and then reboot and the partition is gone. I
plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop machine and no problem, I put it
back into the laptop machine and no partition. I can fdisk and create the
partition in the lap top but as soon as I reboot, poof, gone. I have tried
using the laptop restore cd as well as a boot disk. I am going nutso here.
The client needs this back in the morning. Just FYI I reset the bios to
defaults, also tried taking out the bios and lap top batteries and letting it
sit a bit and still no go, tried low lvl format on the drive, still wont hold
the partition on the lap top, reminder, it will hold the partition if plugged
into the desktop machine. I also tried a second laptop, different brand and
still had the same problem. If you create a partition in the desktop set it
up, shows working, take out of desktop and put in lap top, shows no partition.
--
Deborah Owner ACE Computer Guy
9 answers Last reply

    Deborah
    Have you set the BIOS boot order in the laptop.
    Most laptops boot order is set to boot the HDD before the ROM drive
    therefore when tiring to install the OS from the cd it is booting to the HDD
    and not the cd and you will not be able to continue.
    After finishing the install then you will be able to set it back to default.

    --
    Hope This Helps
    Haus

    "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been trying to install winxp on a alaptop upgrade for a client. What
    > happens is, I fdisk, format, and then reboot and the partition is gone. I
    > plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop machine and no problem, I put it
    > back into the laptop machine and no partition. I can fdisk and create the
    > partition in the lap top but as soon as I reboot, poof, gone. I have tried
    > using the laptop restore cd as well as a boot disk. I am going nutso here.
    > The client needs this back in the morning. Just FYI I reset the bios to
    > defaults, also tried taking out the bios and lap top batteries and letting
    > it
    > sit a bit and still no go, tried low lvl format on the drive, still wont
    > hold
    > the partition on the lap top, reminder, it will hold the partition if
    > plugged
    > into the desktop machine. I also tried a second laptop, different brand
    > and
    > still had the same problem. If you create a partition in the desktop set
    > it
    > up, shows working, take out of desktop and put in lap top, shows no
    > partition.
    > --
    > Deborah Owner ACE Computer Guy

    No, when i type C: after formating it tells me that no partitions exist. I
    fdisk, crate partition, set partition, reboot... no partition if I type C: at
    the A: prompt shouldnt it at least tell me that C: exists? If I check fdisk
    partitons, it shows up, until I reboot and than it is gone. If I put the same
    drive in a Desktop PC it is fine, can reboot, still there, once I put it in
    the lap top (tried two different laptops) the partition will disapear, I try
    another laptop hardrive and it works. If I didnt know enough to set the
    drives in bios than take away my certs and close my business, but thanks for
    trying.

    "Haus" wrote:

    > Deborah
    > Have you set the BIOS boot order in the laptop.
    > Most laptops boot order is set to boot the HDD before the ROM drive
    > therefore when tiring to install the OS from the cd it is booting to the HDD
    > and not the cd and you will not be able to continue.
    > After finishing the install then you will be able to set it back to default.
    >
    > --
    > Hope This Helps
    > Haus
    > Good Luck
    >

    > "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been trying to install winxp on a alaptop upgrade for a client. What
    > > happens is, I fdisk, format, and then reboot and the partition is gone. I
    > > plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop machine and no problem, I put it
    > > back into the laptop machine and no partition. I can fdisk and create the
    > > partition in the lap top but as soon as I reboot, poof, gone. I have tried
    > > using the laptop restore cd as well as a boot disk. I am going nutso here.
    > > The client needs this back in the morning. Just FYI I reset the bios to
    > > defaults, also tried taking out the bios and lap top batteries and letting
    > > it
    > > sit a bit and still no go, tried low lvl format on the drive, still wont
    > > hold
    > > the partition on the lap top, reminder, it will hold the partition if
    > > plugged
    > > into the desktop machine. I also tried a second laptop, different brand
    > > and
    > > still had the same problem. If you create a partition in the desktop set
    > > it
    > > up, shows working, take out of desktop and put in lap top, shows no
    > > partition.
    > > --
    > > Deborah Owner ACE Computer Guy

    Also tried different UDMA and still no. What I dont understand is, if the
    drive is bad, why would it format and hold partitions on desktop,(in laptop
    hard drive adapter) but not in laptop? I can while in the laptop, fdisk,
    format, set.... but after reboot, there is no partitons defined. In two
    different laptops that work fine with other drives.... Obviously you would
    think the drive must be bad? than why will it hold partions and boot fine in
    the desktop machine from the adapter? I need enlightenment.

    "Haus" wrote:

    > Deborah
    > Have you set the BIOS boot order in the laptop.
    > Most laptops boot order is set to boot the HDD before the ROM drive
    > therefore when tiring to install the OS from the cd it is booting to the HDD
    > and not the cd and you will not be able to continue.
    > After finishing the install then you will be able to set it back to default.
    >
    > --
    > Hope This Helps
    > Haus
    > Good Luck
    >

    > "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been trying to install winxp on a alaptop upgrade for a client. What
    > > happens is, I fdisk, format, and then reboot and the partition is gone. I
    > > plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop machine and no problem, I put it
    > > back into the laptop machine and no partition. I can fdisk and create the
    > > partition in the lap top but as soon as I reboot, poof, gone. I have tried
    > > using the laptop restore cd as well as a boot disk. I am going nutso here.
    > > The client needs this back in the morning. Just FYI I reset the bios to
    > > defaults, also tried taking out the bios and lap top batteries and letting
    > > it
    > > sit a bit and still no go, tried low lvl format on the drive, still wont
    > > hold
    > > the partition on the lap top, reminder, it will hold the partition if
    > > plugged
    > > into the desktop machine. I also tried a second laptop, different brand
    > > and
    > > still had the same problem. If you create a partition in the desktop set
    > > it
    > > up, shows working, take out of desktop and put in lap top, shows no
    > > partition.
    > > --
    > > Deborah Owner ACE Computer Guy

    Looking at the links now, if it doesnt work for the fujitsu/ibm who knows
    laptop hard drive, it is way cool anyway!!

    "Deborah" wrote:

    > I have been trying to install winxp on a alaptop upgrade for a client. What
    > happens is, I fdisk, format, and then reboot and the partition is gone. I
    > plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop machine and no problem, I put it
    > back into the laptop machine and no partition. I can fdisk and create the
    > partition in the lap top but as soon as I reboot, poof, gone. I have tried
    > using the laptop restore cd as well as a boot disk. I am going nutso here.
    > The client needs this back in the morning. Just FYI I reset the bios to
    > defaults, also tried taking out the bios and lap top batteries and letting it
    > sit a bit and still no go, tried low lvl format on the drive, still wont hold
    > the partition on the lap top, reminder, it will hold the partition if plugged
    > into the desktop machine. I also tried a second laptop, different brand and
    > still had the same problem. If you create a partition in the desktop set it
    > up, shows working, take out of desktop and put in lap top, shows no partition.
    > --
    > Deborah Owner ACE Computer Guy

    Have you tried to boot from the XP cd and partition and format that way.

    --

    > Also tried different UDMA and still no. What I dont understand is, if the
    > drive is bad, why would it format and hold partitions on desktop,(in
    > laptop
    > hard drive adapter) but not in laptop? I can while in the laptop, fdisk,
    > format, set.... but after reboot, there is no partitons defined. In two
    > different laptops that work fine with other drives.... Obviously you would
    > think the drive must be bad? than why will it hold partions and boot fine
    > in
    > the desktop machine from the adapter? I need enlightenment.
    >
    > "Haus" wrote:
    >
    >> Deborah
    >> Have you set the BIOS boot order in the laptop.
    >> Most laptops boot order is set to boot the HDD before the ROM drive
    >> therefore when tiring to install the OS from the cd it is booting to the
    >> HDD
    >> and not the cd and you will not be able to continue.
    >> After finishing the install then you will be able to set it back to
    >> default.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope This Helps
    >> Haus
    >> Good Luck
    >>

    >> "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have been trying to install winxp on a alaptop upgrade for a client.
    >> >What
    >> > happens is, I fdisk, format, and then reboot and the partition is gone.
    >> > plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop machine and no problem, I put
    >> > it
    >> > back into the laptop machine and no partition. I can fdisk and create
    >> > the
    >> > partition in the lap top but as soon as I reboot, poof, gone. I have
    >> > tried
    >> > using the laptop restore cd as well as a boot disk. I am going nutso
    >> > here.
    >> > The client needs this back in the morning. Just FYI I reset the bios to
    >> > defaults, also tried taking out the bios and lap top batteries and
    >> > letting
    >> > it
    >> > sit a bit and still no go, tried low lvl format on the drive, still
    >> > wont
    >> > hold
    >> > the partition on the lap top, reminder, it will hold the partition if
    >> > plugged
    >> > into the desktop machine. I also tried a second laptop, different brand
    >> > and
    >> > still had the same problem. If you create a partition in the desktop
    >> > set
    >> > it
    >> > up, shows working, take out of desktop and put in lap top, shows no
    >> > partition.
    >> > --
    >> > Deborah Owner ACE Computer Guy

    yes of course, that was tried first, over and over, it was only after the
    restore and our oem copy didnt work that we resorted to fdisk

    "Haus" wrote:

    > Have you tried to boot from the XP cd and partition and format that way.
    >
    > --
    > Hope This Helps
    > Haus
    > Good Luck
    >

    > "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Also tried different UDMA and still no. What I dont understand is, if the
    > > drive is bad, why would it format and hold partitions on desktop,(in
    > > laptop
    > > hard drive adapter) but not in laptop? I can while in the laptop, fdisk,
    > > format, set.... but after reboot, there is no partitons defined. In two
    > > different laptops that work fine with other drives.... Obviously you would
    > > think the drive must be bad? than why will it hold partions and boot fine
    > > in
    > > the desktop machine from the adapter? I need enlightenment.
    > >
    > > "Haus" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Deborah
    > >> Have you set the BIOS boot order in the laptop.
    > >> Most laptops boot order is set to boot the HDD before the ROM drive
    > >> therefore when tiring to install the OS from the cd it is booting to the
    > >> HDD
    > >> and not the cd and you will not be able to continue.
    > >> After finishing the install then you will be able to set it back to
    > >> default.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope This Helps
    > >> Haus
    > >> Good Luck
    > >>

    > >> "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    What disk is this? You could try one of the utilities on this bootdisk
    that corresponds to that type of drive:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    FDISK isn't really the best partition utility to be using, but it
    shouldn't be causeing problems like that. Are you 100% sure you
    connected everything back up correctly such as power/jumpers/cable? You
    can also try a Pre-Installation Environment for XP:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Deborah wrote:
    > yes of course, that was tried first, over and over, it was only after the
    > restore and our oem copy didnt work that we resorted to fdisk
    >
    > "Haus" wrote:
    >

    >>Have you tried to boot from the XP cd and partition and format that way.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Hope This Helps
    >>Haus
    >>Good Luck
    >>

    >>"Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Also tried different UDMA and still no. What I dont understand is, if the
    >>>drive is bad, why would it format and hold partitions on desktop,(in
    >>>laptop
    >>>hard drive adapter) but not in laptop? I can while in the laptop, fdisk,
    >>>format, set.... but after reboot, there is no partitons defined. In two
    >>>different laptops that work fine with other drives.... Obviously you would
    >>>think the drive must be bad? than why will it hold partions and boot fine
    >>>in
    >>>the desktop machine from the adapter? I need enlightenment.

    Deborah, is the new hard drive much larger than the old hard drive in the
    laptop? How old is the computer? If the old hard drive was 2-8 GB and the
    new one is more than 32 GB you may be having a bios problem. If so, you may
    need to either update your laptop's bios or make sure the bios is set to
    autodetect the hard drive (not all are set that way at the factory.) Older
    computers could not detect larger hard drives due to the older bios. Try to
    fdisk the first "DOS" partition at around 20 GB then create an extended
    partition for any remaining disk size. Then format and see if that solves
    your problem. If the original HDD was about 2 GB you might try creating the
    first partition at less than 8 GB.

    You ideally should see the hard drive listed in the bios information
    displayed upon first boot before Windows attempts to load. Is it listed
    there?

    You should also attempt to create the "fdisk, and format" while booting the
    Windows CD or rebuild disk and letting it create the partition/s.

    "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to install winxp on a alaptop upgrade for a client.
    What
    > happens is, I fdisk, format, and then reboot and the partition is gone. I
    > plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop machine and no problem, I put it
    > back into the laptop machine and no partition. I can fdisk and create the
    > partition in the lap top but as soon as I reboot, poof, gone. I have tried
    > using the laptop restore cd as well as a boot disk. I am going nutso here.
    > The client needs this back in the morning. Just FYI I reset the bios to
    > defaults, also tried taking out the bios and lap top batteries and letting
    it
    > sit a bit and still no go, tried low lvl format on the drive, still wont
    hold
    > the partition on the lap top, reminder, it will hold the partition if
    plugged
    > into the desktop machine. I also tried a second laptop, different brand
    and
    > still had the same problem. If you create a partition in the desktop set
    it
    > up, shows working, take out of desktop and put in lap top, shows no
    partition.
    > --
    > Deborah Owner ACE Computer Guy

    Both hard drives were exactly the same size, I had thought maybe it was a
    udma issue, but none of the things I tried with that worked either. I ended
    up using a temporary replacement drive and RMA'd the other drive for a new
    one. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

    "LVTravel" wrote:

    > Deborah, is the new hard drive much larger than the old hard drive in the
    > laptop? How old is the computer? If the old hard drive was 2-8 GB and the
    > new one is more than 32 GB you may be having a bios problem. If so, you may
    > need to either update your laptop's bios or make sure the bios is set to
    > autodetect the hard drive (not all are set that way at the factory.) Older
    > computers could not detect larger hard drives due to the older bios. Try to
    > fdisk the first "DOS" partition at around 20 GB then create an extended
    > partition for any remaining disk size. Then format and see if that solves
    > your problem. If the original HDD was about 2 GB you might try creating the
    > first partition at less than 8 GB.
    >
    > You ideally should see the hard drive listed in the bios information
    > displayed upon first boot before Windows attempts to load. Is it listed
    > there?
    >
    > You should also attempt to create the "fdisk, and format" while booting the
    > Windows CD or rebuild disk and letting it create the partition/s.
    >

    > "Deborah" <Deborah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have been trying to install winxp on a alaptop upgrade for a client.
    > What
    > > happens is, I fdisk, format, and then reboot and the partition is gone. I
    > > plug the laptop hard drive into a desktop machine and no problem, I put it
    > > back into the laptop machine and no partition. I can fdisk and create the
    > > partition in the lap top but as soon as I reboot, poof, gone. I have tried
    > > using the laptop restore cd as well as a boot disk. I am going nutso here.
    > > The client needs this back in the morning. Just FYI I reset the bios to
    > > defaults, also tried taking out the bios and lap top batteries and letting
    > it
    > > sit a bit and still no go, tried low lvl format on the drive, still wont
    > hold
    > > the partition on the lap top, reminder, it will hold the partition if
    > plugged
    > > into the desktop machine. I also tried a second laptop, different brand
    > and
    > > still had the same problem. If you create a partition in the desktop set
    > it
    > > up, shows working, take out of desktop and put in lap top, shows no
    > partition.
    > > --
    > > Deborah Owner ACE Computer Guy

Laptops Partition Hard Drives Windows XP