Asus Fan Club???

I got an email from Asus Fan Club, a discussion/help group. I did not go
to their site yet to register. Does anyone know if this is legitimate?
Or who the sponsor is?

Paul

Splendid

In article <kbcTd.86260$GT.56174@okepread01>, "Joe101" <not.real@fake.net>
wrote:

> I got an email from Asus Fan Club, a discussion/help group. I did not go
> to their site yet to register. Does anyone know if this is legitimate?
> Or who the sponsor is?

Isn't this newsgroup enough of a fan club :)

You will notice that Asus attempts at web site design are
pretty lame. They did have asusnetq forum on their site
but they closed it down a while back (2 years ago).

There is this:
http://vip.asus.com/login.aspx

but not much in the way of "member benefits":
http://vip.asus.com/message/vip_en-us.html

This "club" page has no pictures:
http://www.asus.com/club/clubindex.htm

This one works:
http://usa.asus.com/club/clubindex.htm

And I see the magazine site is finally fixed.
A magazine is a 90MB download and filled with pictures
suitable for making posters for a store:
http://www.asus.com/emagazine.htm

Maybe if you give us a few details, like a URL from the email...

Paul

Yep this site is a pretty good one, but I'm always looking for more
information. A well structured site would be good I'm still curious if
anyone has info on the FanClub via an email notification recently. I'm
concerned about a phising expedition. The site is http://www.asusfaq.com/
if anyone is brave enough to click.

"Joe101" <not.real@fake.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I got an email from Asus Fan Club, a discussion/help group. I did not
>> go
>> to their site yet to register. Does anyone know if this is legitimate?
>> Or who the sponsor is?
>
> Isn't this newsgroup enough of a fan club :)
>
> You will notice that Asus attempts at web site design are
> pretty lame. They did have asusnetq forum on their site
> but they closed it down a while back (2 years ago).
>
> There is this:
> http://vip.asus.com/login.aspx
>
> but not much in the way of "member benefits":
> http://vip.asus.com/message/vip_en-us.html
>
> This "club" page has no pictures:
> http://www.asus.com/club/clubindex.htm
>
> This one works:
> http://usa.asus.com/club/clubindex.htm
>
> And I see the magazine site is finally fixed.
> A magazine is a 90MB download and filled with pictures
> suitable for making posters for a store:
> http://www.asus.com/emagazine.htm
>
> Maybe if you give us a few details, like a URL from the email...
>
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <TlzTd.88070$GT.29980@okepread01>, "Joe101" <not.real@fake.net>
wrote:

> Yep this site is a pretty good one, but I'm always looking for more
> information. A well structured site would be good I'm still curious if
> anyone has info on the FanClub via an email notification recently. I'm
> concerned about a phising expedition. The site is http://www.asusfaq.com/
> if anyone is brave enough to click.

What does this smell like ? Looks like a rent-a-server.

***************************** www.asusfaq.com ***********************
Reverse Lookup Results

Host Type Value
110.19.104.67.in-addr.arpa PTR 67.104.19.110.ptr.us.xo.net
19.104.67.in-addr.arpa NS nameserver.concentric.net
19.104.67.in-addr.arpa NS nameserver1.concentric.net
19.104.67.in-addr.arpa NS nameserver2.concentric.net
19.104.67.in-addr.arpa NS nameserver3.concentric.net
nameserver.concentric.net A 207.155.183.72
nameserver1.concentric.net A 207.155.183.73
nameserver2.concentric.net A 207.155.184.72
nameserver3.concentric.net A 206.173.119.72

IP Address Contact Information

OrgName: XO Communications
OrgID: XOXO
Address: Corporate Headquarters
Address: 11111 Sunset Hills Road
City: Reston
StateProv: VA
PostalCode: 20190-5339
Country: US

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.eng.xo.com:4321/

NetRange: 67.104.0.0 - 67.111.255.255
CIDR: 67.104.0.0/13
NetName: XOXO-BLK-17
NetHandle: NET-67-104-0-0-1
Parent: NET-67-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NAMESERVER1.CONCENTRIC.NET
NameServer: NAMESERVER2.CONCENTRIC.NET
NameServer: NAMESERVER3.CONCENTRIC.NET
NameServer: NAMESERVER.CONCENTRIC.NET
Comment:
RegDate:
Updated: 2004-05-07

OrgAbuseHandle: XCNV-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: XO Communications, Network Violations
OrgAbusePhone: +1-866-285-6208
OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@xo.com

OrgTechHandle: XCIA-ARIN
OrgTechName: XO Communications, IP Administrator
OrgTechPhone: +1-703-547-2000
OrgTechEmail: ipadmin@eng.xo.com

*****************************

Now, if I look up usa.asus.com, I get:

***************************** usa.asus.com **********************
Host Type Value
177.234.148.216.in-addr.arpa CNAME 177.0/28.234.148.216.in-addr.arpa
234.148.216.in-addr.arpa NS ns-east.cerf.net
234.148.216.in-addr.arpa NS ns-west.cerf.net
234.148.216.in-addr.arpa NS ns-east.cerf.net
234.148.216.in-addr.arpa NS ns-west.cerf.net
ns-east.cerf.net A 207.252.96.3
ns-west.cerf.net A 192.153.156.3

IP Address Contact Information

CERFnet CERFNET-BLK-4 (NET-216-148-0-0-1)
216.148.0.0 - 216.148.255.255
ASUS Computer International ATTENS-008866-002079 (NET-216-148-234-176-1)
216.148.234.176 - 216.148.234.191

*****************************

Notice how this one is owned by Asus? I think I'd
leave asusfaq.com unclicked.

I used a copy of Lynx to look at the site, and it
looks like some kind of forum. I didn't see anything
there to make me want to use a real browser tho :)

Paul

NO confusion here, I just want to know
how you got my email address. Did you get it from ASUS??? There
must be some way you got it and I want to know!!! How do you "fish"
for your email address's???

All I know is I never gave you my email address and yet - somehow you
have it. How did this happen... and did anyone else wonder this?

If ASUS gave it to you I want to know because then I
know who to go after for giving out my private email address.

If ASUS DID NOT GIVE IT TO you then you farm it else where, where is
what I want to know!!!

DBMDude

> asusfanswrote:
Sorry if this confuse you guys, as a ASUS FANS CLUB owner, just want
> let you guys know that ASUS FANS CLUB is nothing to do with ASUS
> company,
>
> WE open ASUS FANS CLUB, only for few reason.
> #1, we are ASUS product LOVER. we love and using asus product since
> 1990.
> #2, we like to help other user that using ASUS product that may have

> question.
> #3, we like to share anything that is about asus product.
>
> Administrator:
> http://www.asusfaq.com
> --
> asusfans

I just did some research and discovered that the administrative
contact for www.asusfaq.com and www.asus.com are one in the same:

charles_yao@asus.com.

He seems to spoof his new "private not affiliated" venture of
asusfaq.com under a gmail address ( joanne.quach@gmail.com ) and
claims it is not affiliated with asus - but interestingly they are
one in the same person.

I believe that all of us that got this email were victims of a not so
carefully disguised plan to lure us into his website. He probably
"took" the email address's from the ASUS database (this is the only
way that explains how he got mine) and then used them for this
venture.

He is misleading us all.

Please email him or call him on either number below and tell him to
remove your email address from BOTH databases now!!!

BTW the info I have give here is public domain from the
http://www.whois.sc/ source so I am personally not giving out any
private info!!!

Asus.com : (510) 608-4527
AsusFaq.com : (415) 334-3977

OK well I did not post private info. The info I got was PUBLIC DOMAIN
from the whois registry.

You had NO RIGHT to post my personal info here and I for one am going
to make sure ASUS knows what you are doing.

I am the real victim here, I was the one getting tons of email from
ASUSFAQ.COM, I merely reported what I found when I researched who
owned it by public record. If you do not own it then that is not my
fault - go after the guy who owns it, not me.

BTW anyone that wants to spam me that address has been suspended.

TY
Eric Joy

PS Administrator please remove my personal info from the post above.

Hi,
> only remove his email address and still leave my email address as
show
Sorry, you didn't ask about it.
Dont blame me - I'm here to help :)
What would you like me to do - delete the e-mail address? Consider
it's done.
> don't try to disable my account all the time
I haven't touched it - whats wrong with your account?