Huge difference in CPU temp reporting between MBM5 and Asu..

I have a new A8V Deluxe with A64 3500+ running stock speeds/fan/hs.
Nothing fancy. For the heck of it I ran MBM5. I chose the only Asus A8V
mobo from the list, the Deluxe Wireless Edition. I don't have the wireless
feature but I assumed it was all the same sensors.

MBM5 reports my CPU temp as between 18 and 24C depending on what I am
doing. That seemed ridiculously low so I became suspicious. MBM5 uses
winbond 1 for CPU temp. Whatever the heck that means.

Anyway, I installed Asus' PC Probe to compare. It reports the CPU temp
between 40 and 50 depending on what I am doing. HUGE difference. I don't
know what sensor Asus PC Probe uses but I'm sure it's the RIGHT one. I
started farting around with MBM5's settings and found that if I told it to
use winbond 2 for the CPU temp it matched exactly with Asus PC Probe.

So, unless someone knows something I don't know, don't rely on MBM5 with
the Asus A8V. I think it's wrong.

"Jack White" <jackwhite@ncrr.com> wrote in message

> I have a new A8V Deluxe with A64 3500+ running stock speeds/fan/hs.
> Nothing fancy. For the heck of it I ran MBM5. I chose the only Asus A8V
> mobo from the list, the Deluxe Wireless Edition. I don't have the wireless
> feature but I assumed it was all the same sensors.
>
> MBM5 reports my CPU temp as between 18 and 24C depending on what I am
> doing. That seemed ridiculously low so I became suspicious. MBM5 uses
> winbond 1 for CPU temp. Whatever the heck that means.
>
> Anyway, I installed Asus' PC Probe to compare. It reports the CPU temp
> between 40 and 50 depending on what I am doing. HUGE difference. I don't
> know what sensor Asus PC Probe uses but I'm sure it's the RIGHT one. I
> started farting around with MBM5's settings and found that if I told it to
> use winbond 2 for the CPU temp it matched exactly with Asus PC Probe.
>
> So, unless someone knows something I don't know, don't rely on MBM5 with
> the Asus A8V. I think it's wrong.

I don't have MBM5 installed, but can you configure it for the A8V's sensors?
If you cannot, try SpeedFan, which (in its latest version) auto-configured
itself to read my A8V's sensors correctly.

BobS

Winbond 1 is the case sensor, and Winbond 2 is for the CPU. My A8V with A64
3500 winchester runs 25C for the case, and 38 degrees C or so for the CPU

Bob