Huge difference in CPU temp reporting between MBM5 and Asu..

I have a new A8V Deluxe with A64 3500+ running stock speeds/fan/hs.
Nothing fancy. For the heck of it I ran MBM5. I chose the only Asus A8V
mobo from the list, the Deluxe Wireless Edition. I don't have the wireless
feature but I assumed it was all the same sensors.

MBM5 reports my CPU temp as between 18 and 24C depending on what I am
doing. That seemed ridiculously low so I became suspicious. MBM5 uses
winbond 1 for CPU temp. Whatever the heck that means.

Anyway, I installed Asus' PC Probe to compare. It reports the CPU temp
between 40 and 50 depending on what I am doing. HUGE difference. I don't
know what sensor Asus PC Probe uses but I'm sure it's the RIGHT one. I
started farting around with MBM5's settings and found that if I told it to
use winbond 2 for the CPU temp it matched exactly with Asus PC Probe.

So, unless someone knows something I don't know, don't rely on MBM5 with
the Asus A8V. I think it's wrong.
2 answers Last reply
More about huge difference temp reporting mbm5

    "Jack White" <jackwhite@ncrr.com> wrote in message

    > I have a new A8V Deluxe with A64 3500+ running stock speeds/fan/hs.
    > Nothing fancy. For the heck of it I ran MBM5. I chose the only Asus A8V
    > mobo from the list, the Deluxe Wireless Edition. I don't have the wireless
    > feature but I assumed it was all the same sensors.
    >
    > MBM5 reports my CPU temp as between 18 and 24C depending on what I am
    > doing. That seemed ridiculously low so I became suspicious. MBM5 uses
    > winbond 1 for CPU temp. Whatever the heck that means.
    >
    > Anyway, I installed Asus' PC Probe to compare. It reports the CPU temp
    > between 40 and 50 depending on what I am doing. HUGE difference. I don't
    > know what sensor Asus PC Probe uses but I'm sure it's the RIGHT one. I
    > started farting around with MBM5's settings and found that if I told it to
    > use winbond 2 for the CPU temp it matched exactly with Asus PC Probe.
    >
    > So, unless someone knows something I don't know, don't rely on MBM5 with
    > the Asus A8V. I think it's wrong.

    I don't have MBM5 installed, but can you configure it for the A8V's sensors?
    If you cannot, try SpeedFan, which (in its latest version) auto-configured
    itself to read my A8V's sensors correctly.

    Winbond 1 is the case sensor, and Winbond 2 is for the CPU. My A8V with A64
    3500 winchester runs 25C for the case, and 38 degrees C or so for the CPU

    Bob

    "Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message

    > "Jack White" <jackwhite@ncrr.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a new A8V Deluxe with A64 3500+ running stock speeds/fan/hs.
    >> Nothing fancy. For the heck of it I ran MBM5. I chose the only Asus A8V
    >> mobo from the list, the Deluxe Wireless Edition. I don't have the
    >> wireless
    >> feature but I assumed it was all the same sensors.
    >>
    >> MBM5 reports my CPU temp as between 18 and 24C depending on what I am
    >> doing. That seemed ridiculously low so I became suspicious. MBM5 uses
    >> winbond 1 for CPU temp. Whatever the heck that means.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I installed Asus' PC Probe to compare. It reports the CPU temp
    >> between 40 and 50 depending on what I am doing. HUGE difference. I don't
    >> know what sensor Asus PC Probe uses but I'm sure it's the RIGHT one. I
    >> started farting around with MBM5's settings and found that if I told it
    >> use winbond 2 for the CPU temp it matched exactly with Asus PC Probe.
    >>
    >> So, unless someone knows something I don't know, don't rely on MBM5 with
    >> the Asus A8V. I think it's wrong.
    >>

    > I don't have MBM5 installed, but can you configure it for the A8V's
    > sensors? If you cannot, try SpeedFan, which (in its latest version)
    > auto-configured itself to read my A8V's sensors correctly.

Asus CPUs Motherboards