Asus T2-P Barebone System (P4P8T) SATA Driver for Maxtor

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

I'm trying to load Windows XP onto a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA drive.

I have searched the forum and have found that I need to press F6 to
load the SATA drivers from floppy disk during the XP installation.

My problem is that I cannot find the drivers....!

Can anyone help ---please--- and tell me what they look like
(filename.extension) on the T2 Support CD (V2.0) or where I can
download them.

I have searched the Asus site but with no luck.

Also, how do I set up 2 partitions as I have been advised not to use
Fdisk?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

Splendid

In article <421e606f$1_2@alt.athenanews.com>,
jimsheehan@hotmail.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Jazz) wrote:

> I'm trying to load Windows XP onto a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA drive.
>

> I have searched the forum and have found that I need to press F6 to
> load the SATA drivers from floppy disk during the XP installation.
>
> My problem is that I cannot find the drivers....!
>
> Can anyone help ---please--- and tell me what they look like
> (filename.extension) on the T2 Support CD (V2.0) or where I can
> download them.
>
> I have searched the Asus site but with no luck.
>
> Also, how do I set up 2 partitions as I have been advised not to use
> Fdisk?
>
> Any help will be really appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

You don't need drivers. The ICH5 has room for four IDE
and two SATA, and the SATA looks to the OS like PCI based
IDE ports (for Win2K and WinXP). A Microsoft driver should work
fine with this, and you should not need F6. As I understand it.

Downloadable files are here, and I don't see any disk specific
drivers except IAAR (which should be restricted to ICH5R Southbridge
designs - why IAAR is in this directory is anyone's guess).
The manual says ICH5 (non-raid) is on the board, so I
don't see how IAAR is going to help.

http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=T2-P&Type=All&SLanguage=en-us

The "Onboard IDE Mode" [Enhanced] and
"Enhanced Mode Support" [SATA] is suitable for WinXP, and
allows six drives (four IDE and two SATA) to be connected to
the ICH5. I think that is the default in the BIOS. Even if
you don't have a SATA drive, that is a good setting, as the
other enhanced modes cause IDE disk slowdowns.

So, give the install a try without F6.

Paul

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

Many thanks for the reply Paul.

This would explain why I can't find the drivers anywhere!

The problem I had was after installing XP and finding the Sata boot
drive was showing as I: instead of C: Also it wouldn't see the 2nd
partition (partitioned with Fdisk) so I thought it was a driver
problem after scouring the sites. Will go back to the drawing
board.

Thanks again.
Jim

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

Hello Paul,

I have rebuilt the PC and it is working fine. Many thanks for taking
the time to respond and assist.

Many thanks,
Jim