sony cd-rw quit working for no apparent reason

Hi,
I have a Sony Vaio PC that used to burn files and music to CD when I
occasionally needed it to do so.
Now, it will play a music CD, but when I select files to copy to CD, it
keeps telling me there's no blank CD in the drive.
I've been working on this for at least a week and am getting extremely
frustrated.
I went to the Sony site and downloaded some sort of test to see if the
hardware is functioning properly.
The drive started right up and passed the tests with flying colors.
When I tried again with my own files, the same message to insert a cd into
the drawer appeared.
I've tried disabling the drive and reinstalling, and all I succeeded in
doing was making the new hardware notice pop up multiple times every time I
start up the computer so that I have to waste the first 5 minutes cliking OK
and then a message comes up saying hardware may not perform as expected.
That I know!
Any suggestions?
The drive is Sony cd-rw crx175e
The other drive is Pioneer dvd-rom dvd 117r
Thanks,
Gail
4 answers Last reply
More about sony quit working apparent reason

    The wording was a little odd, so let me try to recap. Your drive is
    functioning properly by playing music CD's, but when you try to write
    data to a blank CD, it tells you to insert a blank CD even though you
    just did insert a blank CD?

    There are a couple of things to consider here. First off, what are you
    trying to write to the CD. There are maximum capacities that a CD can
    hold and it will continue to ask for a blank disk until one with enough
    capacity is inserted. The limit is usually 700 MB or 80 Minutes of
    music. Make sure you are not trying to write more than that.

    Second, you can take a look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:54:33 -0700, Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >The wording was a little odd, so let me try to recap. Your drive is
    >functioning properly by playing music CD's, but when you try to write
    >data to a blank CD, it tells you to insert a blank CD even though you
    >just did insert a blank CD?
    >
    >There are a couple of things to consider here. First off, what are you
    >trying to write to the CD. There are maximum capacities that a CD can
    >hold and it will continue to ask for a blank disk until one with enough
    >capacity is inserted.

    That's interesting. I've never seen that.

    What program does this?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:43:01 -0700, "Gail"
    <Gail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    There's another post similar to yours just recently. You might want
    to get together with him...to see what things (additions to
    software/hardware, etc.) you may have in common. That may help both
    of you to solve your problems.

    >I have a Sony Vaio PC that used to burn files and music to CD when I
    >occasionally needed it to do so.
    >Now, it will play a music CD, but when I select files to copy to CD, it
    >keeps telling me there's no blank CD in the drive.

    Are you sure which drive its looking for? Go into Device Manager and
    temporarily disable the other drive.

    >I've been working on this for at least a week and am getting extremely
    >frustrated.

    What changes did you make...a week ago...that may be causing the
    problem? Any new anti-virus definitions?...any Norton stuff?...and
    new hardware?...etc.

    >I went to the Sony site and downloaded some sort of test to see if the
    >hardware is functioning properly.
    >The drive started right up and passed the tests with flying colors.

    WHICH drive?

    >When I tried again with my own files, the same message to insert a cd into
    >the drawer appeared.

    What burning program are you using?

    >I've tried disabling the drive and reinstalling, and all I succeeded in
    >doing was making the new hardware notice pop up multiple times every time I
    >start up the computer so that I have to waste the first 5 minutes cliking OK
    >and then a message comes up saying hardware may not perform as expected.

    Disable one drive at a time...then try a burn on each enabled drive.
    If they seem to work fine by themselves, enable both and check for any
    conflicts in device manager. Look at the settings...don't just look
    for the exclamations.

    >That I know!
    >Any suggestions?
    >The drive is Sony cd-rw crx175e
    >The other drive is Pioneer dvd-rom dvd 117r

    Consider getting a different brand/better quality cd.

    Good luck...let us know.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.

    Nero, for one, does this. If it is unable to burn because the amount of
    data exceeds the amount of available space on a disk, it will spit the
    CD out and ask you to insert a blank disc. The older version did not
    say why, but now it gives a little note that you have to look for
    explaining that the CD you inserted did not have enough free space.

    I am not sure how many other programs do this, but I would have to guess
    that most of them do. Burning software is not able to write very much
    more data than the supposed max capacity of a CD and usually spits the
    CD out and asks for a larger capacity CD with the "PLease insert a blank
    CD" message.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Trent© wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:54:33 -0700, Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The wording was a little odd, so let me try to recap. Your drive is
    >>functioning properly by playing music CD's, but when you try to write
    >>data to a blank CD, it tells you to insert a blank CD even though you
    >>just did insert a blank CD?
    >>
    >>There are a couple of things to consider here. First off, what are you
    >>trying to write to the CD. There are maximum capacities that a CD can
    >>hold and it will continue to ask for a blank disk until one with enough
    >>capacity is inserted.
    >

    > That's interesting. I've never seen that.
    >
    > What program does this?
    >

    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent
    >
    > What do you call a smart blonde?