Memory configuration for a A7V8X board

I have a Corsair 512mb PC-3200 (Cas2.5) stick in the first DIMM slot. I
would like to increase the ram to 1Gig. Can I add a PC-2700 (Cas2.5) 512MB
stick in the second DIMM slot and achieve this without a problem?

I'm looking at cheap, i.e. generic (Rosewill) for the 2nd stick. My board is
slightly O/C'ed (10% maybe).

Thanks.

ColBlip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

Paul

Splendid

In article <421e88c4$1_1@127.0.0.1>, "ColBlip"
<colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:

> I have a Corsair 512mb PC-3200 (Cas2.5) stick in the first DIMM slot. I
> would like to increase the ram to 1Gig. Can I add a PC-2700 (Cas2.5) 512MB
> stick in the second DIMM slot and achieve this without a problem?
>
> I'm looking at cheap, i.e. generic (Rosewill) for the 2nd stick. My board is
> slightly O/C'ed (10% maybe).
>
> Thanks.
>
> ColBlip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

You can mix and match DIMMs on a single channel board. The BIOS
is supposed to find the slowest stick and set the timings
based on that. (Sometimes this doesn't work out as planned, and
then what you try, is swapping the two sticks. If the sticks
were in slot 1 and slot 3, try moving 1-->3 and 3-->1.)

The best slots for two DIMMs are slot 1 and slot 3.

Your motherboard has a limit of two double sided sticks at
PC2700 rates. That doesn't mean you are forced to buy PC2700
memory, it just means that the BIOS setting should be DDR333
for the two stick case. Two PC3200 sticks could be used, as
they are backward compatible with the PC2700, PC2100, PC1600
rates. (The only time this isn't possible, is when using a
microATX motherboard that has no manual DIMM settings in the
BIOS. There are motherboards that will read the SPD and set
the clock too high, and the motherboard will be forever
unstable. As long as your motherboard has DIMM clock and
timing adjustments, a pair of PC3200 sticks can be
"dialled down" to PC2700.)

Paul

Hello, Paul!
You wrote on Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:15:25 -0500:

I can see I should have been more specific on the MB - it is a A7V8X. Does
that present a problem re: your advice?

Thanks.

ColBlip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

P> In article <421e88c4$1_1@127.0.0.1>, "ColBlip"
P> <colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:

??>> I have a Corsair 512mb PC-3200 (Cas2.5) stick in the first DIMM slot.
??>> I would like to increase the ram to 1Gig. Can I add a PC-2700 (Cas2.5)
??>> 512MB stick in the second DIMM slot and achieve this without a
??>> problem?
??>>
??>> I'm looking at cheap, i.e. generic (Rosewill) for the 2nd stick. My
??>> board is slightly O/C'ed (10% maybe).
??>>
??>> Thanks.
??>>
??>> ColBlip.
??>> E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com
??>>
P> You can mix and match DIMMs on a single channel board. The BIOS
P> is supposed to find the slowest stick and set the timings
P> based on that. (Sometimes this doesn't work out as planned, and
P> then what you try, is swapping the two sticks. If the sticks
P> were in slot 1 and slot 3, try moving 1-->3 and 3-->1.)

P> The best slots for two DIMMs are slot 1 and slot 3.

P> Your motherboard has a limit of two double sided sticks at
P> PC2700 rates. That doesn't mean you are forced to buy PC2700
P> memory, it just means that the BIOS setting should be DDR333
P> for the two stick case. Two PC3200 sticks could be used, as
P> they are backward compatible with the PC2700, PC2100, PC1600
P> rates. (The only time this isn't possible, is when using a
P> microATX motherboard that has no manual DIMM settings in the
P> BIOS. There are motherboards that will read the SPD and set
P> the clock too high, and the motherboard will be forever
P> unstable. As long as your motherboard has DIMM clock and
P> timing adjustments, a pair of PC3200 sticks can be
P> "dialled down" to PC2700.)

P> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <421f2ed9$1_2@127.0.0.1>, "ColBlip"
<colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:

> Hello, Paul!
> You wrote on Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:15:25 -0500:
>
> I can see I should have been more specific on the MB - it is a
> A7V8X. Does that present a problem re: your advice?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ColBlip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

You identified your motherboard in the subject line, and
I responded based on that. Try searching in Google
for some other opinions - using "A7V8x two sticks"
as search terms, I get about 198 hits.

You can play with Vdimm a bit (2.75V) if the memory shows
errors in memtest86.

Paul

> P> In article <421e88c4$1_1@127.0.0.1>, "ColBlip"
> P> <colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> ??>> I have a Corsair 512mb PC-3200 (Cas2.5) stick in the first DIMM slot.
> ??>> I would like to increase the ram to 1Gig. Can I add a PC-2700 (Cas2.5)
> ??>> 512MB stick in the second DIMM slot and achieve this without a
> ??>> problem?
> ??>>
> ??>> I'm looking at cheap, i.e. generic (Rosewill) for the 2nd stick. My
> ??>> board is slightly O/C'ed (10% maybe).
> ??>>
> ??>> Thanks.
> ??>>
> ??>> ColBlip.
> ??>> E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com
> ??>>
> P> You can mix and match DIMMs on a single channel board. The BIOS
> P> is supposed to find the slowest stick and set the timings
> P> based on that. (Sometimes this doesn't work out as planned, and
> P> then what you try, is swapping the two sticks. If the sticks
> P> were in slot 1 and slot 3, try moving 1-->3 and 3-->1.)
>
> P> The best slots for two DIMMs are slot 1 and slot 3.
>
> P> Your motherboard has a limit of two double sided sticks at
> P> PC2700 rates. That doesn't mean you are forced to buy PC2700
> P> memory, it just means that the BIOS setting should be DDR333
> P> for the two stick case. Two PC3200 sticks could be used, as
> P> they are backward compatible with the PC2700, PC2100, PC1600
> P> rates. (The only time this isn't possible, is when using a
> P> microATX motherboard that has no manual DIMM settings in the
> P> BIOS. There are motherboards that will read the SPD and set
> P> the clock too high, and the motherboard will be forever
> P> unstable. As long as your motherboard has DIMM clock and
> P> timing adjustments, a pair of PC3200 sticks can be
> P> "dialled down" to PC2700.)
>
> P> Paul

News==----
Newsgroups

Hello, Paul!
You wrote on Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:25:46 -0500:

P> In article <421f2ed9$1_2@127.0.0.1>, "ColBlip"
P> <colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote:

P> You identified your motherboard in the subject line, and
P> I responded based on that. Try searching in Google
P> for some other opinions - using "A7V8x two sticks"
P> as search terms, I get about 198 hits.

P> You can play with Vdimm a bit (2.75V) if the memory shows
P> errors in memtest86.

P> Paul

P> News==----
??>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!