P5AD2 Premium STANDBY problem

Hello,

I've just installed Windows XP Professional on a system based on the
P5AD2 Premium Motherboard and it just won't get into SLEEP/STANDBY
mode... Why ??? How can I solve this problem ??? I can't even find the
HIBERNATE tag under the energy options menu... what the hell is
happening ??? I've loaded all the BIOS default parameters but the
problem insists... I've already updated th BIOS Software and the
problem insists... When I go in the start menu for shutting off... I
have just two available options from the three options menu ( shutdown,
standby, restart ) ... that is... SHUTDOWN or RESTART... the STANDBY
option is unaccessible (in gray color)... why ???
How can I get the sandby mode to work ???

Have I done anything wrong?

Can someone please help me ... !!!

--
Geferson Kowalsky

Paul

Splendid

In article <Geferson.Kowalsky.1kzp7n@news.computerbanter.com>, Geferson
Kowalsky <Geferson.Kowalsky.1kzp7n@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just installed Windows XP Professional on a system based
> on theP5AD2 Premium Motherboard and it just won't get into
> SLEEP/STANDBYmode... Why ??? How can I solve this problem ???
> I can't even find theHIBERNATE tag under the energy options
> menu... what the hell ishappening ??? I've loaded all the BIOS
> default parameters but theproblem insists... I've already updated
> th BIOS Software and theproblem insists... When I go in the start
> menu for shutting off... Ihave just two available options from the
> three options menu ( shutdown,standby, restart ) ... that is...
> SHUTDOWN or RESTART... the STANDBYoption is unaccessible (in gray
> color)... why ???
> How can I get the sandby mode to work ???
>
> Have I done anything wrong?
>
> Can someone please help me ... !!!-- Geferson Kowalsky

Section 4.5.1 of manual - you could set Suspend to S3 only.
That is suspend to RAM mode, otherwise known as Standby.

First off, go to Device Manager and check "Computer". If
it says "Standard PC", then ACPI is not installed. If that is
the case, you'll need a clean install to get an ACPI install
instead. Without an ACPI HAL (hardware abstraction layer), none
of those functions will work right.

If it says ACPI, then once the BIOS setting is changed, you
can use dumppo.exe to fix the OS. dumppo.exe allows something
called an "administrative override", which changes the allowed
states for ACPI on the computer. Right now, you likely only
have S1, and if you enable S3 and S4, you get suspend to RAM
and Hibernate respectively.

Here are some instuctions for dumppo:

******
Get a copy of dumppo.exe from Microsoft, and check what ACPI
states are supported.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

From a MSDOS (command) window:

dumppo ps cap # This dumps the ACPI object information
# It says whether S1 or S3 are supported
# If S3 is listed as supported, you do not
# need the following command.

dumppo admin /ac maxsleep=S3 # This is an administrative override
# command. It should add S3 to your
# capabilities. Check with the "cap"
# option again. If you want Hibernate
# as well, then use S4.