Write Delay Failure

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem. I
have a Maxtor 160G SATA HD and I get write delay failure
error message shortly after booting up. I can see the
drive but 10 seconds later the drive disappears and the
write delay failure error is shown. I am able to see the
drive every time I reboot but it always disappears shortly
afterwards.

Anyone with suggestions as to why this is happening? I
have checked many forums and many users seem to have
different reasons why they occur. This was not the case
for about 3-4 months back. Just a month ago, I re-imaged
the pc and afterwards, it started to show up for no
apparent reason. I haven't done anything such as
disabling services. Everything is at default just as it
is after installing WinXP and update patches (including
SP1).

I am at a lost. Any help from anyone would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Slo-Mo916 "the lost one"

I have seen 3 opinions on this:

1) Update the chipset drivers. It sounds like you know how to do this,
but if not, just post back with the make and model of either your
computer or motherboard and I'll find the drivers for you.

2) There is this KB article that is worth a look:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330174

3) If #1 didn't work, and #2 didn't help, try this. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory
Management\LargeSystemCache in the Registry (if you have to ask how,
don't mess with it). Set the value to 0x00000001 and see if that helps.

It appears that this problem is almost always resolved by simply
installing the latest chipset/controller drivers.

----
Nathan McNulty