Integration of an IDS-workstation

My LAN is made up of wirelLss and cable connected workstations which
connect through a WLAN router/switch
(D-Link DI-614+) and an DSl-modem to the Internet.

Now I want to add a wireless IDS-workstation immediately after the
router in order to scan the whole WAN
traffic for possible hack attacks which have passed the router's
firewall. Obviously I have to replace my
router/switch by a simple router to get access to all WAN packages
before they are being switched to their
destination workstations. Then I need to replicate the packages by
means of a hub, and connect to it the
IDS-workstation amd a switch for the other workstations. So a rough
configuration would look like

DSL-modem --- router --- hub --- switch --- LAN
'
'
IDS-Workstation

There are some open questions for me:

1. Where to connect the wireless workstations to? E. g. if I connect
them to the router, do I see their WAN
traffic on the IDS-workstation?

2. How to connect the IDS-workstation to the hub? To normal hubs you
connect via cable to one of its ports. So
do I have to connect an access point to the hub and the IDS-workstation
to that access point?

3, I must invest in a router and a hub, But can I make use of my
existing WLAN router/switch, either as pure
switch for the LAN or access point for the IDS-workstation?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards

Eckhardt Newger

Hi,

No help here? Perhaps an other newsgroup?

Ciao

Eckhardt Newger