AMD K7 processor device driver AMDK7.SYS & XP Pro

KB306458 was originally published and the driver released
on October 17, 2001, for this mobile processor:

29-Aug-2001 15:57 5.1.2600.10 32,768 Amdk7.sys
29-Aug-2001 16:19 1,562 K7qfe.inf

These were for the XP platform both Home and Professional.

My question is: Why does the Windows Update site continue
offering this driver update for my XP Professional w/ SP1
and all other Windows Updates, both critical and
recommended, applied to my system?

The following file is contained on my system:

03/31/2003 07:00 AM 32,512 amdk7.sys

but there is no corresponding K7qfe.inf file at all.

This computer is a desktop with the AMD K7 XP2100
processor and my final question is should I apply the
offered AMD K7 driver update to my system being that
clearly my AMDK7.SYS file is a later date?

Thanks!

Charles

My policy is to NEVER download driver updates from Windows Update. If
the computer is working fine, I just leave it the way it is. You may
want to see if this update was included with XP Service Pack 2 which can
be obtained here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

----
Nathan McNulty

Charles McCallister wrote:
> KB306458 was originally published and the driver released
> on October 17, 2001, for this mobile processor:
>
> 29-Aug-2001 15:57 5.1.2600.10 32,768 Amdk7.sys
> 29-Aug-2001 16:19 1,562 K7qfe.inf
>
> These were for the XP platform both Home and Professional.
>
> My question is: Why does the Windows Update site continue
> offering this driver update for my XP Professional w/ SP1
> and all other Windows Updates, both critical and
> recommended, applied to my system?
>
> The following file is contained on my system:
>
> 03/31/2003 07:00 AM 32,512 amdk7.sys
>
> but there is no corresponding K7qfe.inf file at all.
>
> This computer is a desktop with the AMD K7 XP2100
> processor and my final question is should I apply the
> offered AMD K7 driver update to my system being that
> clearly my AMDK7.SYS file is a later date?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Charles

Nathan,

I know better than to apply this update, particularly in
this instance, but was being anal retentive about the
update showing up at all. This is an mobile CPU issue to
begin with but being it had to do with processor speeds
being affected I was curious.

I'm d/l'ing SP2 now and will review the fixes then.

Thanks for responding!

Charles

Also, with the new Windows Update V5, you can hide the update so that
you never see it again :D

I love that feature since stupid Windows Update still offers me ATI
drivers from December 2003 when I am currently running the latest ATI
drivers.

----
Nathan McNulty

Charles McCallister wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> I know better than to apply this update, particularly in
> this instance, but was being anal retentive about the
> update showing up at all. This is an mobile CPU issue to
> begin with but being it had to do with processor speeds
> being affected I was curious.
>
> I'm d/l'ing SP2 now and will review the fixes then.
>
> Thanks for responding!
>
> Charles

Nathan,

Windows Update V4 also has this option. See "Personalize Windows Update"
(it hides them at any rate).
r.